Finaly got some chrome on the MJ

fiatslug87

From Wikipedia (so it HAS to be true)

Prior to the application of chrome in the 1920s, nickel was used. In the US for the short production run prior to the entry into the Second World War, plating was banned to save chromium and the decorative pieces were painted in a complementary color. In the last years of the Korean War, the banning of chrome was contemplated and several cheaper processes (such as plating with zinc and then coating with shiny plastic) were considered.

The largest plated parts were the bumpers of the cars. These were done by specialty shops, which had a different sequence of labor relations. Just after the Second World War, some American cars initially came off the assembly line with wooden bumpers -- not due to economy or rarity of the metal, but due to labor action at the plating shops. No doubt when the shops got on-line again these would be replaced.

Until the plant was shut down in the late 1990's, Cadillac's main manufacturing and assemply plant (located in Detroit, Michigan won awards for the best chrome plating line (including bumpers) in the world for over 50 consecutive years of operation.

Those last two cars are polished stainless. Which is a bit different than chrome I think :smart:

Yup, the DeLorean is stainless steel, which contributed to it being waaaay overweight for a sub-3 litre V6 to move around with any spirit. Just one of many flaws of a potentially great car.

I thought the Deloreans were 4 cylinder cars. :dunno:

They probably considered it at one point with all the bad decisions they made LOL. No, this car actually has a connection to our beloved Comanches. It was definitely a 6, and I believe it was a GM 2.8 V6. I know John DeLorean was an exec at GM before he went on his little adventure with this so he used his connections to supply him with their engines. I think that motor was rated for like 140HP or something for the DeLorean, maybe even 160. But it also had a crap transmission and, again, was just too damn heavy.