to cut or not to cut?

Well I am getting ready to fab up some bumpers for my MJ and can`t decide if I want to cut the bed or not.

here is a pic of what I am thinking of:

(random pic, not my MJ)

to end up with this:

(I don`t know who`s MJ this is but it sure is nice)

My bed has ZERO rust & is in very good shape so thats why I`m hesitating to cut, what would you do?

I would leave it alone unless you intend to make a serious off-road truck out of it. There is no reason to cut it back there unless you just like the looks of it...which I personally don't. :cheers:

Agreed.

They ain't makin' MJ beds any more. Once you cut it -- it's DONE.

I have had this delima myself and agree with both previous comments, with one addition.

To my eye chopping this off leaves the body lines lacking. Unless your going to add protection attached to the bumper and or rear frame I would not do this. It simply LOOKS bad.

CW

I did this to my XJ because I like the high clearance look, and I heard that if you drop onto that corner too hard it can pop the rear window out. In that vein, I really don't see a reason to do this to your bed. If you come down on it and crunch it, then you could cut it off and rework the ends of your bumper, but I wouldn't mess with the bed just yet.

I've been meaning to get around to making a bumper for it, but my MJ project has all my time consumed, and the XJ is my wife's DD.

not to hyjack this thread, but who makes those flares on the green mj?

Yes the rears flares on my MJ are TJ rear flares. I will say it was a MAJOR pain to install them. They turned out OK, but if your a perfectionist this is a project that I'd probably tell you to not do. I planned on running rear TJ flares on the front as well, but have never gotten to it due to the major pain that the rear one's were.