Grasshopper and the Ant

Akula69

Grasshopper and the Ant

OLD VERSION: The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long, building his house and laying up supplies for the winter. The grasshopper thinks the ant is a fool and laughs and dances and plays the summer away.

Come winter, the ant is warm and well fed. The grasshopper has no food or shelter, so he dies out in the cold.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Be responsible for yourself!

MODERN VERSION:

The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long, building his house and laying up supplies for the winter. The grasshopper thinks the ant is a fool and laughs and dances and plays the summer away.

Come winter, the shivering grasshopper calls a press conference and demands to know why the ant should be allowed to be warm and well fed while others are cold and starving. CBS, NBC, PBS, CNN, and ABC show up to provide pictures of the shivering grasshopper next to a video of the ant in his comfortable home with a table filled with food.

America is stunned by the sharp contrast. How can this be, that in a country of such wealth, this poor grasshopper is allowed to suffer so?

Kermit the Frog appears on Oprah with the grasshopper, and everybody cries when they sing, 'It's Not Easy Being Green.'

Jesse Jackson stages a demonstration in front of the ant's house where the news stations film the group singing, 'We shall overcome.' Jesse then has the group kneel down to pray to God for the grasshopper's sake.

Nancy Pelosi , John Kerry, and Barack Obama exclaim in an interview with Larry King that the ant has gotten rich off the back of the grasshopper, and both call for an immediate tax hike on the ant to make him pay his fair share.

Finally, the EEOC drafts the Economic Equity & Anti-Grasshopper Act retroactive to the beginning of the summer. The ant is fined for failing to hire a proportionate number of green bugs and, having nothing left to pay his retroactive taxes, his home is confiscated by the government.

Hillary, ever present, gets her old law firm to represent the grasshopper in a defamation suit against the ant, and the case is tried before a panel of federal judges that Bill Clinton appointed from a list of single-parent welfare recipients. The ant loses the case.

The story ends as we see the grasshopper finishing up the last bits of the ant's food while the government house he is in, which just happens to be the ant's old house, crumbles around him because he doesn't maintain it. The ant has disappeared in the snow.

The grasshopper is found dead in a drug related incident and the house, now abandoned, is taken over by a gang of spiders who terrorize the once peaceful neighborhood.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Be careful how you vote in 2008

If a man empties his purse into his head no one can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest.

Such a pathetically true tale he do weave. One of my friends was told by a state agency that if she quit her job then they could put her in her own apt at our expense, so, she quit her job. What a sick society we are turning into. Whine & you can get it at someone else's expense.

What a Great story :jump:

Got a good laugh out of that one.........made my week :yes:

Disclaimer: I don't see any politics in that story what so ever.........just the reality of how the system works.

If you don't mind.........I'm going to cut and paste that to a couple friends of mine, I'm sure they will like it too :yes:

Unfortunately that is the American way. Why can't ppl take contorl of their situation and be responsible for their own destinies. All it takes is a lil hard work, and a desire to change and it wil happen. :idea: if these ppl didnt Biatch about their situations, and took that time to find 2 jobs, and lived responsibly... they too can live a better life in due time. :idea: Speaking from experience... not everyone starts at the top.. most have to work for it.. "pay their dues" :eek: and "live right" :???: what does this mean. Use credit responsibly :huh???: only buy what you can afford :nuts: did I mention go to work everyday and try to better yourself :doh:

Sorry if I :hijack: or got on my soapbox.gif but I feel Americans as a whole have gotten comfortable with the Govt bailing them out.

Unfortunately that is the American way. Why can't ppl take contorl of their situation and be responsible for their own destinies. All it takes is a lil hard work, and a desire to change and it wil happen. :idea: if these ppl didnt Biatch about their situations, and took that time to find 2 jobs, and lived responsibly... they too can live a better life in due time. :idea: Speaking from experience... not everyone starts at the top.. most have to work for it.. "pay their dues" :eek: and "live right" :???: what does this mean. Use credit responsibly :huh???: only buy what you can afford :nuts: did I mention go to work everyday and try to better yourself :doh:

Sorry if I :hijack: or got on my soapbox.gif but I feel Americans as a whole have gotten comfortable with the Govt bailing them out.

Welfare should last only 4 years. You should HAVE to be in school FULL TIME and they should let the person keep medical and food stamps for one year after the 4 years is up and they have a job with a degree. Once you sign up, your 4 years has started. if you stop school for a year you are off the program until you sign back up but that year still counts against your 4. This should save alot of money in the long run. And it goes to: if you aren't willing to help yourself then the gov won't do it for you.

soapbox.gif

While I certainly agree that the post is funny in a sad sort of way, it happens all to frequently in this day and age.

My purpose for this little story was to show that there are many folks in this day and age who have made it thier business (or political platform, or claim to fame, or fill in your own rationale) to make a public spectecle of others unfortunate situations. In some cases we have had individuals actually manufacture lies for the press in an attempt to increase thier stature. (remember Tawana Brawley as written by Al Sharpton?). We also had cases where we watched in rapt horror while folks got away with pure stupidity that we would have certainly been fired from our job for or even proscuted if we had done the same (Remember 'ole Slick Willie not having sex with Monica?).

I believe that, on the eve of what could be the most momentus election in our country's history, we need to be very careful what we believe in and subscribe to. Here in Lousisiana a sense of entitlement has always been an undercurrent of this society, but lately an unbelieveable groundswell has sprung up virtually overnight. We have had the greatest uptick in voter enrollment in history, and the story is virtually the same wherever you look ...... "When (fill in the blank) gets elected, he will take care of me and give me what I deserve."

I'm not sure when we became the 'its all about me" generation...maybe it was when we saw the folks on Wall street raking in the dough back in the late 1990's, or when we saw inept government folks handing out freebees to people we knew didn't need them. I saw it all the time in folks I'd catch breaking the law - it was always the parents fault, or the government had cut off thier welfare, or so on. It was never thier fault. But the moral of the story above is going to come home to roost very soon for most of us hard working folks....You need to take care of yourself, and start doing it soon....because the line for handouts is long and many, many more folks are jumping the line every day.

As for me? I don't know about you but I'm pretty much at the end of the line.

off soapbox.gif

I used to frequent many adult entertainment places. :oops: Most of the women who worked there were single moms :???: anyway a lot of them were going to college :smart: but on my dime :hmm: and they were getting child care assistance as well as a housing allowance :rant: here I was working hard :yes: and taking care of buisness. I would love to go back to school :roll: but because I have to pay bills and work I can't afford to, cause it means I would have to stop working(some ) to go. My question is... why should the irresposible ones get al the tax benefits :nuts: