Should my overflow tank be "boiling"

The fluid in my overflow tank for my cooling system was boiling/bubbling, rapidly... I could feel the hose (quickly) because it was boiling too... nothing overflowing or dripping anywhere, but I could tell the engine was REALLY hot (although not so much on the gauges or anything)...

I drove it home from the Dentist (about 8 miles) on the Hwy, which is pretty rare since I usually just drive too and from work through town.

It should not be boiling (bubbling). If it is, that means it's either a bunch hotter than it should be, or the cap isn't holding pressure. Remember, higher pressure raises the boiling point of a liquid. That's the whole reason for radiators to have pressure caps.

It should not be boiling (bubbling). If it is, that means it's either a bunch hotter than it should be, or the cap isn't holding pressure. Remember, higher pressure raises the boiling point of a liquid. That's the whole reason for radiators to have pressure caps.

Was bubbling like a Hot Tub...and by the feel of the engine/hood a BUNCH hotter than I think it should have been...

Any suggestions on where to start -> New Cap? T-Stat?

oh I see you never come around any more unless you need HELP with something..... :roll:

I kiddin...

Is it the closed system or did you change your rad??

Stock closed system...

... & I'm more of a lurker... I watch what's going on... You get your woman into anther contest, and I'll go to TOWN!

*** EDIT *** I've been home almost 90 minutes now and the engine is still hot enough to fry an egg and overflow tank is still "hissing" a little bit... tubes going out of right side of tank is still really Warm... *** EDIT ***

If it's hissing, that likely means a leak. :( Try spraying some soapy water on the area.

Well, not hissing now... can't take it for a spin to warm it back up since I got RugRat duty tonight... if it's a "leak", are we most likely talking just the cap, or the whole stinkin' bottle? (Where do I get either one of those other than a JY?)

If it's hissing, that likely means a leak. :( Try spraying some soapy water on the area.

Well, not hissing now... can't take it for a spin to warm it back up since I got RugRat duty tonight... if it's a "leak", are we most likely talking just the cap, or the whole stinkin' bottle? (Where do I get either one of those other than a JY?)

You do NOT buy just a cap. Guaranteed to NOT seal on an old bottle.

Quadratec used to sell the complete bottle and cap assembly for $19. Of course, that's for another plastic fantastic. I prefer the several all-metal solutions that have surfaced recently, despite their initial higher cost.

Oops. It's up to $25 now. Not a surprise -- I haven't priced them for several years:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/52449_1493.htm

You do NOT buy just a cap. Guaranteed to NOT seal on an old bottle.

Quadratec used to sell the complete bottle and cap assembly for $19. Of course, that's for another plastic fantastic. I prefer the several all-metal solutions that have surfaced recently, despite their initial higher cost.

Oops. It's up to $25 now. Not a surprise -- I haven't priced them for several years:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/52449_1493.htm

Ouch $125 for Metal... If my OEM one went nearly 20 years, I think in today's economy I might take my chance on the $25 ones...

http://www.macsradiator.com/replacmentj ... tanks.aspx

Wade, I had this same problem to a tee not too long ago. Two issues were identified: my coolant was too low. when cooled off, the puke tank was still empty. You've already said your fluid was bubbling away in there, so scratch that.

Second issue: cap on puke tank, while it felt tight, was loose enough to hiss. I gently tightened it until hissing stopped. that alone brought my temp down a good bit, and i did this before i started adding coolant.

My original plastic expansion bottle had a crack at the same height as the fill level post. My cap fit tight and the fluid was always at the proper level. It took me a long time to figure out what was wrong. I got a new bottle and cap at the dealer but the cap would not hold pressure. To fix it I put a hose clamp on the cap so I could tighten it more. Maybe the after market bottles are better than the ones that the dealers are selling.

Good luck

oh I see you never come around any more unless you need HELP with something..... :roll:

I kiddin...

Is it the closed system or did you change your rad??

Stock closed system...

... & I'm more of a lurker... I watch what's going on... You get your woman into anther contest, and I'll go to TOWN!

*** EDIT *** I've been home almost 90 minutes now and the engine is still hot enough to fry an egg and overflow tank is still "hissing" a little bit... tubes going out of right side of tank is still really Warm... *** EDIT ***

Touché.......

First thing I'd do would be a good flush.. ( I know your in Cali, but winter is coming up you know) If it still overheats put a pressure tester on it, if don't detect any leaks get a tester from parts a place and make sure your not getting any exhaust gases in your cooling system. Then go from there. I'm not saying thats whats wrong, but those test are free I think. Couldnt hurt I guess..

I to had the same problem this past summer. after about two weeks like that it started blowing all the coolant out the cap. After I bought a new bottle and cap from chrysler, I found out it was because my electric fan wasn't working. a friend of mine got it working for me and I haven't had a problem since.

I to had the same problem this past summer. after about two weeks like that it started blowing all the coolant out the cap. After I bought a new bottle and cap from chrysler, I found out it was because my electric fan wasn't working. a friend of mine got it working for me and I haven't had a problem since.

Thanks Guys... I think tomorrow I'll try to get it warmed up...check for leaks arround the bottle/cap area and that seems to be an easy cheap fix if that's it (and I get a good bottle)... I will check the fan as well....

Wade

Wade... I have a bottle & cap that were only used on my truck for about 4 months. I bought them at work then decided to do a conversion. I would be happy to ship them to you for $20. I will send them Priority Mail so you will get it in probably 3 days. :cheers:

I am going out of town Friday afternoon and don't know if I will have Internet access or not while gone. If I don't hear from you before I leave, I will be back by Sunday night or Monday.

Wade... I have a bottle & cap that were only used on my truck for about 4 months. I bought them at work then decided to do a conversion. I would be happy to ship them to you for $20. I will send them Priority Mail so you will get it in probably 3 days. :cheers:

I am going out of town Friday afternoon and don't know if I will have Internet access or not while gone. If I don't hear from you before I leave, I will be back by Sunday night or Monday.

Thanks for the offer Brent... I got antsy and ordered the $25 one from Fleabay last night before I went to sleep..