Name that Axle

its a test to see who's the smartest! :D

Or the most psychic ...

So you have a photo of a frame section that is supposedly out of a Ford, with an invisible axle under it that may or may not be the original axle from whatever vehicle provided the frame ... and we're supposed to guess what the axle might be?

Not me, Mate.

what are the pro's and con's between a 60 and a 70?

I'll say 95% certain it's a 60. For lots of reasons. The first being it appears to be stamped on it, as it is on all Dana axles. However, you'd really need to wire brush it to say for sure. Secondly, there's like eleventy-billion D60 rears out there, where-as D70s and D80s are less common. Also, I can't really say if it is SF or FF (your picture sucks) but I'm assuming it's SF, which means it has to be a 60. And the brakes are too small for a 70 or 80.

So, 60 VS 70? The only thing a rear 60 has on a 70 is ground clearance, and it has precious little more than a 70. The 70 has a larger ring gear (10.5" vs 9.75"), bigger axleshafts (normally it will be 35 spline 1.5" AFAIK, vs most rear 60s being 30 spline 1.31" - the same as a D44), better pinion bearings (especially in the 70HD units), and better wheel bearings and hubs. Oh, and 70s come with huge drum brakes normally, not that you should care (not really a pro IMHO, as drum brakes are 'stupid')

Actually, looking at the picture again, it might well be FF.

asked some Q's on Pirate about it, they think its FF too.

And wow your harsh on picture quality :eek: I didnt take those photo's. I am going to go buy this thing for $50 tomorrow (provided it passes a simple inspection) I didnt take those pics, but I will take some after I start ripping it apart to see what it really is :cheers:

60 or 70 dosent really matter because the chance of you breaking it is like zero.

Not really. Well, I don't know what he plans with it. But most stock 60s are hardly better than a stock 44, but with worse ground clearance and a lot more weight.

up here people run a D60 locked with tractor tires on it.

www.justchevytrucks.com ive met these guys a few times and got stuff from them and they all swear by it