The worlds Fastest Comanche

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not Kidding, We took two pieces of 2" channel iron, drilled about 3 holes in each one on the flat surface. It is important that the holes do not line up. then we put the two flat surfaces together had plug welded them. we ended up with something that looks like an I beam from the end. The open side of the channels serve to align the tubes.

When we were done we added 1/4" plate from the knuckle down to the lower tube and on the other end from to open end of the tube down to the original axle tube. It is very strong. We ended up using 250 lb/inch GM rear coil springs which were about the same rate as the jeep springs but shorter. I did have to make a new track bar.

Crazy thought here, but if this thing is going to be dedicated for Bonneville, and not be street driven, you might save a lot of weight by getting rid of the transmission.

No starter, no flywheel, no clutch, no gear case. Slip joint drive shaft straight from the crank to the axle. You will need to push it to start it and get it up to 50 or so mph until you have enough rpm to accelerate by itself, but you could possibly save 500 pounds of weight.

Why is it uncalled for? From the pic he posted it looks like some back woods hill billy BS held together with bubble gum and bailing wire, all I'm saying is I hope he took the time and at least properly braced it. I wouldn't want to see anyone roll at those kinda speeds whether you got a cage or not.

I was really into this build as I think its an awesome deal but was really disappointed to see the drop method. Take it as you will if you don't like criticism don't post pics of your stuff on the interweb.

Friendly advice to you WFC. I'd forget posting up your progress status here as most of the turkeys replying have zero clue as to your ultimate build goal and what is required for your run, myself included. But if you're looking for specific MJ parts you need or resources to obtain them, we can help. If your rig isn't safety ready when your run finally happens, the Bonneville inspectors will let you know, not the jerks here who are badmouthing what you are trying to do. I'm following your build on the strokers forum; looks good so far, tremendous progress. Wish you all the best in your ambitious and expensive effort, and I applaud you for giving it a go. :cheers:

Friendly advice to you WFC. I'd forget posting up your progress status here as most of the turkeys replying have zero clue as to your ultimate build goal and what is required for your run, myself included. But if you're looking for specific MJ parts you need or resources to obtain them, we can help. If your rig isn't safety ready when your run finally happens, the Bonneville inspectors will let you know, not the jerks here who are badmouthing what you are trying to do. I'm following your build on the strokers forum; looks good so far, tremendous progress. Wish you all the best in your ambitious and expensive effort, and I applaud you for giving it a go. :cheers:

I can understand that directed elsewhere, but I genuinely want to know what the deal is here without having to read through tons of pages and I only asked a couple questions...hopefully I did not come off in a derogatory manor but if I did I am sorry.

I do agree that he should make it a point to post progress pics at least once per page because, as you've stated, some of the "turkeys" around here have zero clue....and I will say that I am one of them. pretty pictures make for more comprehension to some of us.

*shrug* I'd read it on the strokers forum but there is too much tech to wade through on that forum....and I opted to not build a stroker with what is hopefully my last 4.0 build, so I no longer use my username on that forum.

Like I said I really like the direction of this build it was just that axle that caught me off guard. I by no means am a master fabricator but I do have plenty of pics of my work that I'm not afraid to show, I'm not going to post them in your thread but if you want to see I will send some to you.

I have really been thinking about away to get some more drop on my MJ and that kinda was one of the ways I thought about doing, have I done it no but plan on it.

Thats all I have to add so I will say good luck to you and bow out as a gentleman.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

WFC,

I am new to the forums and just read thru your threads. I am 30 minutes from Salt Lake City, too bad I missed you but it sounds like you had no time for visitors anyhow. I would like to be there when you make the run next year. Hopefully I can keep up with your status on this thread?

Darin