The worlds Fastest Comanche

Most of you MJ guys have likely already seen this at the Comanche Club, but I wanted to share this little gem of forgotten Jeep history with everyone else. What you see below is the Worlds Fastest Comanche and holder or the land speed record from 87-89 when Gale Banks beat it in an S-15 (contracted by Chevy to do so). One of the members at the Comanche Club (who goes by the screen name of Worlds Fastest Comanche or W.F.C.) is doing a father-son project and trying to retake that record in the small truck 240-261 CID class. His research (and a ton of phone calls) turned up the original speedy MJ lost and tucked away in one of Chrysler's secret storage buildings. Many, many phone calls later, he was granted permission to come to Michigan to see and photograph the truck. I was given permission to tag along. Photography was strictly enforced, and so I only have photos of the MJ, but I about had a stroke when I saw all the other goodies stored in that unnamed, un-addressed building hidden away on Chrysler property. It really pains me that I have nothing to show you. But I will say that the last XJ, the first XJ, the 9-mile MJ, the surviving SCCA MJ, the ThunderChief MJ concept truck, and several other rare Jeeps are safe and sound.

I’ll try to answer any questions as best I can, but it’s all in the preliminary stages (he has purchased a longbed MJ though). Also I’m not the one building it (although my assistance is available for sure), so some questions are likely best answered by him.

My story of that day is here:

http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewt...hp?f=3&t=13074

The post from W.F.C about his desire to set the new record is here:

http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewt...12248&p=122400

First my photos of the photos they found in the truck:

Rumor has it that the block off covers aren't allowed in the official final run.

And now the 140 as she sits today:

Is anybody else confused by this?

What is in the preliminary stages and who is building it? Are you referring to WFC's Comanche from this thread?

Where are the pictures? Neither of the links seem to work.

Willy

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that father and son is who I think it is, they are no longer going after the speed record (son lost interest) and the MJ has been or will be converted to a drag racer. I was in contact with the dad giving him some tips in aero.

• 2 weeks later...
If that father and son is who I think it is, they are no longer going after the speed record (son lost interest) and the MJ has been or will be converted to a drag racer. I was in contact with the dad giving him some tips in aero.

I think the Comanche you are talking about is the Lake view Cruiser http://home.comcast.net/~lakeviewcruiser/site/?/page/Building_The_Lakeview_Cruiser/&PHPSESSID=9119c8d039b07acbccf7cc644a7ece8d

This truck has a chevy V8 in it and yes it is faster then my Comanche, but is it really a true Comanche with a V8?

We are still in the land speed business, we plan to run a turbo this summer and be putting 750hp or so to the ground. Our first stop will be to Maxton NC in April to try and set the standing mile record with the existing engine. When we return we will pull the engine ad swap the 14:1 pistons out for some 9.5:1 turbo pistons. Then return to Maxton in june for a shakedown run before going to Bonneville in August. Hopefully we will be joining the 200mph club.

Nice...

Rusty's Offroad helped? How?

Question: If since the Eliminator Archer Bros. aero package was a rare option, can't you install it to help with your aerodynamics and still qualify as being stock?

• 4 weeks later...
This worlds fastest Comanche thing is pretty stupid it needs to get off here it's dumb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wow... just wow. if your serious which it seems you are thats one hell of a first post.

this project is making history. they are taking the idea of the original land speed record truck and rebuilding it faster, stronger and better.

so i hope you arent serious. if you don't like it don't post on it

Nice...

Rusty's Offroad helped? How?

Question: If since the Eliminator Archer Bros. aero package was a rare option, can't you install it to help with your aerodynamics and still qualify as being stock?

Rusty's supplied some special front suspension parts, special links and brackets. When we lowered it it caused some problems and we had to get rid of the rubber bushings.

The archarer brothers option was rare, and yo had to have at least 500 vehicles to qualify as a production vehicle.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Christmas came in February this year. I received a shipment from Lee at Hesco, A block and enough components to build a 3.0L Short block. These were used in the stadium trucks back in the day, Looks like 3.5" bore and 3" stroke. Billet crank that takes Chevy rods. It will run @ 7500 rpm all day long.

• 1 month later...

Well it cam down to putting a new roof on the house or a Turbo on the Comanche. My wife won the argument, so it looks like we will get the roof. We will still be racing. We changed the rear end ratio and went to different lubricants. New tires and wheels have also come in. We will be at Maxton NC March 2-3 for the hot rod top speed challenge. I will be sending updates via Twitter, just follow Comanche_LSR3

• 1 month later...