The worlds Fastest Comanche

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has a custom intake because no matter what the did to it a 99 intake could not be made to flow the amount of air needed. I think there's a picture on the stroker forum somewhere.

And IIRC he uses a custom Hesco head made specifically for him.

I already have the Hesco head and it has been ported and the intake and exhaust port matched. The intake flows about 274 cfm and the exhaust about 170 cfm. An airflow Reasearch SBC head can flow 330cfm on the intake and exhaust in the 230 range. So the intake can flow 25% more and the exhaust 35 percent more. If i had 25% more hp, i would be in the 560 hp range. ( a nice place to be). I managed to get 1/3 of a aluminum cylinder head from Lee at Heaco. It's really just a piece of scrap, but i can make modifications to it and test the flows. better than making modifacations to a $2,000 cylinder head. We will be back at Bonneville next year. I would like to keep the jeep engine in the comanche, I did talk about building the 4 cylinder, many of the parts could be reused. A turbo is possible as well, we will just have to see how it all works out.

I already have the Hesco head and it has been ported and the intake and exhaust port matched. The intake flows about 274 cfm and the exhaust about 170 cfm. An airflow Reasearch SBC head can flow 330cfm on the intake and exhaust in the 230 range. So the intake can flow 25% more and the exhaust 35 percent more. If i had 25% more hp, i would be in the 560 hp range. ( a nice place to be). I managed to get 1/3 of a aluminum cylinder head from Lee at Heaco. It's really just a piece of scrap, but i can make modifications to it and test the flows. better than making modifacations to a $2,000 cylinder head. We will be back at Bonneville next year. I would like to keep the jeep engine in the comanche, I did talk about building the 4 cylinder, many of the parts could be reused. A turbo is possible as well, we will just have to see how it all works out.

Did you ever talk to Lee about sponsorship (meaning $$ and/or as a test bed for newly developed go-fast parts? He's done it before. Might be a good time since he's put a hold on the alloy block development for now, and there's a lot of stuff he has now that might need testing. Just a thought... :D

Wouldn't a turbo put you in a different class?

Did the comanche come with turbos?

Good job for the first run a speedweek.

A turbo would put me in a different class, and would probably get me over 200mph. It's about going fast and having fun. The blown class record is currently open, so anything we ran would become the record.

Did you ever talk to Lee about sponsorship (meaning $$ and/or as a test bed for newly developed go-fast parts? He's done it before. Might be a good time since he's put a hold on the alloy block development for now, and there's a lot of stuff he has now that might need testing. Just a thought... :D

Lee has been very helpfull and suportive, he did the dyno runs for free. I did have to pay for the cylinder head and the additional modifacations. I have never asked for anything for free and nobody has offered. Wait, Rustys Off road gave me some suspension parts. but that is about it.

You have to realize that the 4.0 is out of production, and the market for parts for it is shrinking every year. If i was in the jeep business, i think i would focus on the new Chrysler V6 they will be putting into the wrangler and Grands. Maybe I'm off base, Indy cylinder heads still makes aftermarket blocks for the AMC v8s, and that motor has been out of production since 1991. I don't think the AMC stuff is the main part of their business, they also produce Chrysler blocks.

The market for very high performance parts for the jeep engine is limited. Most people just want more power out of their daily driver. I would be happy to have any sponssorship, doing all this out of my back pocket is very expensive.

It is a competition, and in this case I am competing against a guy who has a block and heads that were designed to be used in a Nascar Series. Tough competition.

My son and I learned a tremendous amount. It is not just about the engine, you need to build a reliable race car. On our car everything worked, we did not blow anything up, we did not spin out or flip over, we had good traction. All we needed was some more HP. We know what gears to use next time, and about how much HP we need to break the record.

Right now I am out of money (probably like most of us these days). I did contact 505 performance and asked if i could borrow the "insane inline II" turbo motor (690hp) to try a run in the Comanche. No answer on that yet, but maybe the people on the board could help. How about writing an email to sales@505performance.com and tell Zach that you would like to see what his motor would actually do in a vehicle. Let's see if it would actually hold up on a 5 mile run on the Bonneville salt flats .

We will be back next year, and we will bring home the record.

I'm not back in Utah anytime soon, but i believe the Utah timing assoc. has an event in September and the SCTA has the world finals the end of October. Check out their websites for the schedules. We plan to be back next august, but the budget looks pretty tight right now. so we will have to see

• 2 weeks later...

I will be working at The Machine tool show in Chicago next week, if anybody is headed that way Stop by the Toyoda Machinery booth and ask for me.

Also we will be taking the Comanche to great lakes dragway on Wednesday next week, come by and see it live! I will not be there because of the show, but My son Scott will.

I will be working at The Machine tool show in Chicago next week, if anybody is headed that way Stop by the Toyoda Machinery booth and ask for me.

Also we will be taking the Comanche to great lakes dragway on Wednesday next week, come by and see it live! I will not be there because of the show, but My son Scott will.

I would go and run my car but its motorless now. If i can ill swing by in the MJ and get some videos

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Most of you MJ guys have likely already seen this at the Comanche Club, but I wanted to share this little gem of forgotten Jeep history with everyone else. What you see below is the Worlds Fastest Comanche and holder or the land speed record from 87-89 when Gale Banks beat it in an S-15 (contracted by Chevy to do so). One of the members at the Comanche Club (who goes by the screen name of Worlds Fastest Comanche or W.F.C.) is doing a father-son project and trying to retake that record in the small truck 240-261 CID class. His research (and a ton of phone calls) turned up the original speedy MJ lost and tucked away in one of Chrysler's secret storage buildings. Many, many phone calls later, he was granted permission to come to Michigan to see and photograph the truck. I was given permission to tag along. Photography was strictly enforced, and so I only have photos of the MJ, but I about had a stroke when I saw all the other goodies stored in that unnamed, un-addressed building hidden away on Chrysler property. It really pains me that I have nothing to show you. But I will say that the last XJ, the first XJ, the 9-mile MJ, the surviving SCCA MJ, the ThunderChief MJ concept truck, and several other rare Jeeps are safe and sound.

I’ll try to answer any questions as best I can, but it’s all in the preliminary stages (he has purchased a longbed MJ though). Also I’m not the one building it (although my assistance is available for sure), so some questions are likely best answered by him.

My story of that day is here:

http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewt...hp?f=3&t=13074

The post from W.F.C about his desire to set the new record is here:

http://comancheclub.com/forums/viewt...12248&p=122400

First my photos of the photos they found in the truck:

Rumor has it that the block off covers aren't allowed in the official final run.

And now the 140 as she sits today: