Project 2drx4. A cherokee.

So, I pulled the engine

Image Not Found

It was kinda sketchy. I really should have rigged it a little different. Yeah....

Pushed the empty shell out, spun it around and put it back in the garage

Image Not Found

I never realized the motor mounts are off-set like this.

Image Not Found

Then things got weird

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

More cutting ahead... But I need to buy some more jackstands first.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this should be good. you better get busy cause i want a lot of updates real fast.

Bahahaha. I wish. I've run out of time off without getting much done this time, so I'll get you some more pics tomorrow before I leave, then it's probably 5 weeks before I'll get back at it.

No pics, but....

I bought a couple more axles. A 93~ HP D60. It's a BJ axle, but not unitized hub. I'm looking into the knuckle strength right now - I think it's like a typical ford knuckle and is garbage. And I got a sterling 10.25 as part of the deal. I can use it for parts.

So, we'll see where this goes.

• 2 months later...

Well, no, not really... I have a NP241D out of a cummins truck to swap in instead of the 231. May or may not work. And that's about it. But, if it does work, it should fit the bill fairly well.

Basically I've been screwed with work. I'm 'on tour', and I was only working 10 hour days... Well, that fell apart and I'm down to 8 hour days. Which is NOTHING. I need a week and a half straight off before I will even bother to go back south to work on this thing. Yet, I can't burn all the over-time (or go negative, not that my company cares as long as I'm even at the end of the year) because I need the over-time payout to go to my 'buying a house whenever I find one I like and that I feel financially secure enough to do so' fund.

So... Did something.

Got the shell mostly gutted. Enough for now, I think. I left some peices that need to be removed as they aren't really going to be in the way for now. And I levelled it out decently. The rear is a sagging a hair (about 1/8"), but that shouldn't matter.

Image Not Found

And my small collection of 1-tons + a D30 and some christmas lights. I have a 14B FF too, but I haven't picked it up yet.

Image Not Found

I'm fairly close to being able to start on my frame rails, I think. I can't buy steel tomorrow, so I think I might try BSing with my NP241 and see if it will adapt to the AW4.

Test fit of NP241 to AW4:

Image Not Found

The gap is about .500", using my calibrated eyeball. I'll give myself a +/-.250" tolerance on that. Anyways, obviously the long input on the 241 is bottoming on the output of the AW4. I have a couple options. I can cut the input down - it is splined as deep as a short input so there is no need for the extra engagement. I could potentially swap the 23 spline NP231 input in - I don't know if I can but I suspect I can. Or I can just buy a clocking plate for a D300 that is .750" thick, and get a couple birds stoned at once. Probably going to go that route - I know Novak makes one but it includes some useless seals and jazz. Advance might have one for atlas applications, I will have to look into that.

NP231 tail-housing on NP241 chain-case:

Image Not Found

So, the bolt holes don't line up. Darn. It could be redrilled, but it wouldn't be ideal. However, on the contrary to what I thought, the NP241 chaincase is no wider/deeper than the NP231. That was measured by eye, again, as I left my calipers in PG. So, my NP231 SYE mainshaft should work, but I will need a NP241 SYE tail-housing.

NP241 vs NP231 tail-housing:

Image Not Found

No point in this picture, but it shows the different patterns and you can sorta tell the rear bearing is larger on the NP241.

So, yeah, didn't do a lot today but I needed to try that.

Kinda a dismal update. Camera ran out of batteries on me...

Cut the two frame rails for the belly section to length. Then I drilled some big ol' holes in them and welded in some tube as sleeves. Yay.

Image Not Found

Then I squared 'em up and tacked them in. Wait, I built that rear link x-member first. Okay, whatever. $#!& got done, it doesn't really matter how.

Image Not Found

And I tacked it my other braces... Oh, the 2x2 peice running retardedly through the whole thing and sticking out both sides, yeah, it's only a temporary brace.

Anyways... The rear section is now kicking my @$$. Apparently there isn't anything solid that I can weld to back there anymore. So, I'll have to address that.

• 4 weeks later...

Another small update. I might take more pics in a bit, or not...

Got the rear section all levelled, squared, welded... Other than there is no fishplates on it yet, those will come in time. I need to buy some flatbar for that. I also need to buy some 1.5x.500 cold rolled to make recovery points before I can do much more in the rear (they will go outside the frame and through the bumper).

Image Not Found