Another RUSTYS rant.....

Well, I got a chance to jump on the RE 1410 ADD-A-LEAF tonight. This is the full leaf from RE. My hope was not to get lift, only gain a bit of payload and I believe it will work well. Its for a XJ and I think it gives a 3" lift for them.

I unbolted everything pretty easily and the DS went on with out a hitch.

This AAL is so long it fits under the main leaf of the RUSTYS packs I am running. Its a very good match with only slightly less free arch than the rest of the pack.

On to the PS and the actual rant... :cry: :headpop: :headpop:

Now I bought these maybe two years back. My MJ has 83K and had 60? K when I bought it. I ran it for about a year before installing these 4" lifted RUSTYS leafs. So we are talking 10 - 15K miles here TOPS.

I unbolt the U Bolts and begin to remove the center bolt... KLANG...

I finish with the bolt removal and the bottom two leafs also fall apart.

You can tell by the pics that these have been busted for some time as there is rust between them. Some you can see finally gave up the ghost as I unbolted the pack.

Now I need new leafs... Oh MOTION...Motion....:roll: :D

If it wasn't for the 5-6 beers and the incredible back spasms I am having now, I would be really pissed.

I know welding is a NO-NO on leafs as it destroys the temper... But do you think it would be OK for the short term??? I welded and ground the lower leafs and they appear fine...

CW

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't tell anyone, but 2 of the leaf I was running on the 88 were partially welded back together (meaning that they weren't quite cracked all the way through). I was that desperate for MJ leafs at the time and didn't know any better. My cracks were in the same place, at the bolt. I decided that even if the temper died, it was still smashed flat by the center bolt and probably wouldn't matter anyway. :dunno: :D

Dayem CW, you of all people should know better. :D Instead of band-aids and Crusty's junk, why don't you just break down and get a new MT leaf pack and do it right the first time. That's what you always say mate. :cheers:

Your absolutely correct and that's what I will do... Only thing is I have a show next weekend and this Jeep HAS TO BE THERE!!! :eek:

I see Motion has a 3 and a 4.5 pack. So I'll be ordering a set later tonight or tomorrow. jamminz.gifjamminz.gif

I am only inquiring if anyone else has experience and opinions on if it will/should hold up to short term use. I know my welds are up to the task. Just worried the heat ruined the "spring" and when weight is put on then they will just bend and stay bent....

Thanks for the info Pete!! That's good to hear!! Like I say, if it where only the lower leafs, I would be so worried...but its the MAIN AND the bottom two. But By adding a brandy new leaf and having two others in good shape....

Its welded, assembled and all bolted up.

CW

I did that on my F100. The leafs are very brittle and will break when tension is released too fast.

The only safe way to do it that I found is to clamp the pack together with a C clamp on each side of the bolt. Then remove the nut, but leave the bolt itself in the hole to keep the leafs aligned. Now slowly release the tension by loosening the clamps.

I don't know where you can buy new bolts, but I always use new ones I get from a place down the road that specializes in brakes, hydraulics and suspensions. mainly on semis and large trucks, but they have all sizes leaf pack bolts by the 5 gallon bucket.

I did that on my F100. The leafs are very brittle and will break when tension is released too fast.

The only safe way to do it that I found is to clamp the pack together with a C clamp on each side of the bolt. Then remove the nut, but leave the bolt itself in the hole to keep the leafs aligned. Now slowly release the tension by loosening the clamps.

I don't know where you can buy new bolts, but I always use new ones I get from a place down the road that specializes in brakes, hydraulics and suspensions. mainly on semis and large trucks, but they have all sizes leaf pack bolts by the 5 gallon bucket.

Thats is the correct way and the way I was doing it. Two "C" Clamps, one on either side of the center bolt. I turned it maybe a revolution and it all came apart!! Just unloaded sent the clamps flying!!!

Here I am assembling after the welding:

JT,

Thanks for the heads up, but I'll support Motion. They have two to choose from. I'll be ordering them very shortly!! :brows: jamminz.gif

CW

Your absolutely correct and that's what I will do... Only thing is I have a show next weekend and this Jeep HAS TO BE THERE!!! :eek:

Okay, understand about temp / emergency repairs. :D

On the above pic, I know you have your Bilsteins mounted w/o using the stock bottom spring plate w. the shock mounts, but what is that you are using now? Reckon that plate might have something to do with busting the main leaf? Also, what size spring bolt are you using? 5/16" or 3/8"? I don't see it in the pic.

i had the EXACT same thing happen to my Rustys 4.5in leafs. Its a damn good thing that i didn't need them anytime cause it took 3 MONTHS to get a replacement leaf. if/when you call, be prepared to get extremely angry. :roll:

I have dealt with them before.. NEVER again!!

I am just going to chalk it up to experience... Like I have said before, you get what you pay for. Buy cheap and you'll surely pay for it!!

Very likely going with the Motion 4.5 packs made by Alcan. Just like Dirty told me way back when!! :roll: :eek: :D

CW

Lower shock mounts are my own build. They are welded to the axle tube and the shocks bolt to that. So that has nothing to do with the leafs. The leaf center bolt is a 3/8 diameter. CW

Understand CW. My question was what are you using now the bottom U-bolt leaf spring anchor plates? Did ya saw off the OEM shock mount stud? Mine don't look anything like those. Just curious.... :cheers:

i had the EXACT same thing happen to my Rustys 4.5in leafs. Its a damn good thing that i didn't need them anytime cause it took 3 MONTHS to get a replacement leaf. if/when you call, be prepared to get extremely angry. :roll:

I have dealt with them before.. NEVER again!!

I am just going to chalk it up to experience... Like I have said before, you get what you pay for. Buy cheap and you'll surely pay for it!!

Very likely going with the Motion 4.5 packs made by Alcan. Just like Dirty told me way back when!! :roll: :eek: :D

CW

i used to be a believer in them...i have there adj lca's but after this winter i won't.

No I am not using stock anything for my shocks.

The plates I have are old JKS brand and protect the nuts with a 1.25" thick piece of steel. CW

Got it. Just haven't seen those plates before.

Yea, they are old school and havent been around or avalible for some time. But they work well!!

CW

No I am not using stock anything for my shocks.

The plates I have are old JKS brand and protect the nuts with a 1.25" thick piece of steel. CW

Got it. Just haven't seen those plates before.

Yea, they are old school and havent been around or avalible for some time. But they work well!! CW

Old school is always best.

CW,just a logshot,(pun intended),those are mj

spring I assume?'cause I have a set of xj's I

have no use for I could fire up there.

I didn't study your pics,although I like the way you did the

shock mounts,so if I'm out in left field,just disregard.

CW,just a logshot,(pun intended),those are mj

spring I assume?'cause I have a set of xj's I

have no use for I could fire up there.

I didn't study your pics,although I like the way you did the

shock mounts,so if I'm out in left field,just disregard.

Thanks for the generous offer man!! But XJ packs are too short for the MJ.

I got everything bolted back up and turned it around in the drive way. Ready for the front coil install Friday.

I did get a bit of a lift after all, 1 - 1.5" tops. I have to compare some old pics to see for sure. (I wasn't smart enough to throw a tape measure on before I started.)

Photo bucket is down for maintaince so no pics just now. But I'll add some shortly.

CW