Another RUSTYS rant.....

Yeah, should settle out after miles CW, hopefully. But usually they settle out equally on each side, so the lean may still be there. Know you prolly don't haul big loads often, but if you do, take a measurement before and after on a big load; that'll tell you if there is a difference between the advertised load rating and reality.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He got a set of our MJ 4.5" lift leafs in the heavy duty version. Our normal version has a load capacity of 960, the HD version is 1300. Our leafs are a 4 leaf pack with an overload leaf on the bottom; as they are trucks and some people do use them as such.

CW I'm a bit confused about the center pin issue. Maybe the photo's are throwing me off as it looks like you've got a different perch (aftermarket) and the photo isn't even of our leaf showing the center pin. THIS PHOTO is what I'm referring to. However your installed photo shows a factory perch being used. We've used the same center pins for all our leafs and never ran into the issue of it being way to small. Are you running different perches? Please elaborate so we can resolve any further issues in our next batch of leafs.

As far as the distance from the bushing to the center pin, we've made the axle sit in the same spot as it did from the factory; just lower. As the leaf compresses the wheel will move backward due to the shackle being in the rear. If you move the location much further back you'll run into issues with tires hitting the fender and also with the factory d-shaft than being to short at full flex. Possibly just a design difference between ours and Rusty's, but we felt that we'd rather keep it in the factory location and not lead to other issues caused by lifting.

By your post it sounds like you had a leaning issue prior to even installing the leafs which you made up for by adjusting the ACOS to different heights? Comanches are built with the gas tank on the driver's side, if the truck is used mainly as a single person vehicle, the driver's side springs (both front and rear) will see more use than the passenger's side spring. This is why many vehicles built this way lean to the left slightly. You did wait to tighten anything down until Jeep was sitting on it's own weight correct? Go flex it a bit, the leafs should level themselves out.

I didn't read this before my last post. Sorry. :oops:

OK here is the skinny:

This is a swapped in XJ D44. I used factory MOPAR perches. So yes factory, but no not Jeep or Comanche.

The pic you show is NOT your leaf or centering pin, its Rusty's. I was showing it to show the sizes only. Kind of eluding that it may have had a hand in the demise of the last pack. Here is your centering pin, my perch and the centering pin I made up to properly fit. The pins that came on your springs had a 1/2" dia head, shown in blue.

As for the dimensions of the leafs, I cannot say for sure as my factories are gone. The Rusty's where 26 1/8 from center of front bushing to center of center pin. Motion springs where 25" same spots. In reading the links supplied, the factory was also 26". So I don't know, you tell me.

As for how a leaf works, you are correct and I am knowledgeable in suspension articulation. This vehicle had a D35 from the factory and uses that DS now. The shout on the D44 is longer as you likely know. Usually, lifting necessitates a longer shaft. Because of the addition of the 44 I had to shorten mine a bit. Many times its workable but with the D44 it just wasn't. As you say, the axle in full droop sees the DS in its shortest position. Apparently there was less than 1" of clearance as it was and the 25" length of your springs ate it up to the point that they would not fit. I agree the factory location is would be best. I just moved the axle back 1.5". So now its sitting less than 1/2" reward from factory, its not going to cause any problems.

Image Not Found

Yes I did have a leaning issue before the install, you are correct. But the issue was at the front, not rear. At that point the front ACOS was still installed and the truck was level in the front. I pointed out in my previous post, that half of the unevenness was accountable to the one side bushing being tightened with the truck in the air. I lessened all bushing bolts, joined aggressively and drove down the coldusac a couple times to allow for settling. Moved to a flat level spot and tightened everything up and measured, the DS is more than a full inch lower than the pass side.

Thanks for the response, yes I will drive it a bit and see how everything pans out.

As for the rust causing the issue, its not. (At least as far as is visible) The rust is on the on the too high side anyhow. I jacked the vehicles, jounced all the time watching the cancer and nothing moved. Looks like sand and salt was allowed in thru the front spring mount and sat there rusting thru. The sides are thinner then the bottom, so that's why you see it there first. I'll clean it all up and clad it with some HD angle iron. :brows: :brows:

CW

I just measured an old stock set of springs I have sitting in my basement. They each have a broken leaf, but that should not affect measurements. Center of front bushing to center of center bolt is 25 3/4" in a straight line, or 26 1/16" (+/- 1/16) following the arch of the leaf.

I just measured an old stock set of springs I have sitting in my basement. They each have a broken leaf, but that should not affect measurements. Center of front bushing to center of center bolt is 25 3/4" in a straight line, or 26 1/16" (+/- 1/16) following the arch of the leaf.

Thanks for that man!! I measured in a straight line. I figured the Rusty's were the different ones from the start. Its kinda moot now.

CW

Because of the loss on lift out back the front now sits higher. I don't like that SO, out come the ACOS's!! BUT, I screwed up again, as I had the ACOS's set to give me about 3/4" more lift to the DS to offset the natural "lean" toward the DS.... This compounded the lower spring in the rear.... :headpop: :headpop: :headpop: But its all together and I am not changing it today!!!

Am I missing the ACOS or are these old pics? Looks like you just have coil spacers in these pics.

Thanks,

Willy

Nope your not missing anything. Thats what I have now, the Motion springs where a tad lower than I expected so to level everything out, I removed the ACOS's and just put in isolators. (NO LIFT)

The front has new BDS 4.5" springs to match the 4.5" lifted MOTION OFFROAD springs out back!! Gives it what I like to see for a front to back rake. I like the rear a bit higher on a pickup.

CW

Nope your not missing anything. Thats what I have now, the Motion springs where a tad lower than I expected so to level everything out, I removed the ACOS's and just put in isolators. (NO LIFT)

The front has new BDS 4.5" springs to match the 4.5" lifted MOTION OFFROAD springs out back!! Gives it what I like to see for a front to back rake. I like the rear a bit higher on a pickup.

CW

Thanks! I get it now. ;)

Willy

what is appealing about that rake i think it looks like the engine weighs too much or the ft suspintion is saggy like an old lady

Your in luck my friend because with age comes experience. You will grow out of this.... :roll: :D

A pick-up truck has a bed. A bed is used to carry things, many times these things can be heavy. SO, the vehicle manufactures in there infinite wisdom, make the rear suspensions stiffer, with a higher load rating. This usually equates to a slightly higher stance. This is all so the durability of the vehicle is SAFE when carrying the rated load on our roads.

This IS of coarse 1989 technology.... ;)

CW

:eek: the planets just alined and it is like some one just took some kind of filtered goggles :eek:

:bowdown: that makes so much sence :eek:

so... i put a 2" lift on the front to level it out , keep in mind i don't hardly haul any thing in the bed, will this effect my driveability?