I think I've narrowed down my hauler search...

Pete M

:yeah that: Willy, thanks for pointing that out before I did. If that was true, the 6.5 would still be in production and GM wouldn't be the sinking ship that it is.

That is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. Every forum is filled with ridiculous claims and hearsay, but I am yet to first hand meet anybody or experience these magical MPG numbers. :D

Willy

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The diesel suburban would probly be great if your leaning tword an SUV.I really don't see too many out there, but I havent really paid any attention, either. I almost suggested a Ceturion in my earlier post but figured no one would know what I was talking about. Those came w/ diesels too, and although hard to find, a few cheap ones have popped up on Craigslist from time to time. Ive even seen the older bodystyle than that one (pre-92) with the earlier 7.3 in it, which I thought was really cool. The thing was like 4k and needed nothing!!! It all comes down to whats near by and is the right price when you have the $$$ to spend. I think anything suggested so far would work just fine.

Just think, nomatter what you buy, its another truck and another excuse to start modding. here's a pic of my tow-rig turned toy w/ my comanche:[/img]

Plus with those tanks, you wouldn't have to fill up as much. :brows:

Yeah, but I'd have to sell a kidney to fill them up.

It all comes down to whats near by and is the right price when you have the $$$ to spend.

Near me? Chances are slim. I'd rather not buy anything from the rust belt again. I'll add in a flight and fuel to get home (from Colorado or Florida or somewhere rust-free) into the price.

Pete,

I can fill you in on the 6.2 / 6.5 and not the I herd story's :D

Had a 6.2 in my 2500 GMC pickup.

And NO they were not a car engine with heads changed out like the chevy / olds project form the early 80's. They were built as a diesel from the ground up and used in H-1 Hummers jamminz.gif And if you ever took one apart most of the parts had Detroit Diesel markings on them.

And the 6.2 was non-turbo :nuts:

My 2500 was an ext pickup 4x4 and 5 speed. And unlike what some may say it got 22mpg's in that big 4x4:rock on: jamminz.gif But then it could not get out of it's own way :nuts: And that is what killed it, plus the :USAflag: public dislike toward diesels :nuts:

After the first trip to TN pulling a 19 trailer with my tractor and the average speed on I-75 of 40mph :mad: I had to do something, so I went to a buddy that was into truck pulls and has had about every diesel ever made :chillin:

First item was a Banks sidewinder turbo :brows: then we turned the pump up, way up :brows: and replaced the stock air cleaner with a K&N canister filter.

That helped a lot, the 5 speed was a problem as it need a 6 speed or a 2 speed axle for towing. The MPG's went down the crapper to 9-13mpg's but the engine did come to life :cheers:

SO if you just want a buy and drive diesel it will do you good. I know you stated no FORD, but I have also driven a FORD and Dodge and they both are way better then my 6.2 / 6.5 :cry:

If not for getting mad at the wife 2 yrs ago and I sold my GMC, I would have replaced the 6.2 with a Power Storke

The 7.3 is a good engine.

I go by a full size Bronco each weekend with a OBO that I keep thinking Bronco + 7.3 :brows:

Where will you be towing at? I can tell you if you are thinking about towing your jeep down I-75 to GA you will be very unhappy as everyone blows by you ;) If you are going to stay local in MI it will be OK.

I don't like to go fast while towing 4500 pounds (in a lot of places I'm limited by law to big truck speeds anyway), but I need it to be more stable than the Liberty. If I go 'Burb, I think I'll look for the 4.10 gears.

Totally expected if you had a non-turbo engine. They just can't produce any horsepower. I'm leaning on my experience with the turbo diesel in my Libby and it was never lacking for sustaining power when towing the MJ, only stability (plus it never got old at traffic lights, when everyone and their uncle would pile in to the lane next to me thinking that I'd be the slow one and then I'd rocket off and leave them in my smoke). But it's a decade newer than the 6.5 in a 'Burb. But then it's also less than half the displacement. Seems I may have to take some test drives when the time comes. :D

4500 pounds can still be done pretty good with a Burb with the 350, That's what I have with 3.73 gears. Unless you tow very occasionally, though, I would call 4500 pounds the max. Any more and you want a 454, or the 6.5TD. Stay away from the 6.2, they only make 90hp. They will get your load started, but can't get up to speed. The 6.5 TD has issues with the injector pump overheating, but this can be solved by buying a kit to relocate it to the fender (away from the block). 454 with 4.10 gears would pull anything, but 9 is the number. 9mpg empty, 9mpg loaded, 9mpg highway, and if you're lucky, 9mpg towing, but probably closer to 7.

Don't know much about the newer ones, but the 5.3 does not make enough torque to get a trailer started, the 6.0 might be okay, but the 8.1 gets almost the same mileage empty, and actually better mileage towing a load; about the same hp as the 6.0, but a lot more torque. Only available in the 2500. I guess they *finally* started putting a Duramax in the newer Burbs, but it is a smaller one (not the 6.6), and the Burb's been downsized to not fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood with the doors closed any more.

My dream would my current Suburban (92-99 body style), 2" body lift to make the Allison fit in the tunnel and put in a 6.6l Duramax out of a p/u truck.

I guess they *finally* started putting a Duramax in the newer Burbs, but it is a smaller one (not the 6.6), and the Burb's been downsized to not fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood with the doors closed any more.

The Duramax has never been offered in a Suburban. The last couple of generations have not had a diesel option.

Willy

I guess they *finally* started putting a Duramax in the newer Burbs, but it is a smaller one (4.5, not the 6.6), and the Burb's been downsized to not fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood with the doors closed any more.

The Duramax has never been offered in a Suburban. The last couple of generations have not had a diesel option.

Willy

I know. We've been asking, and the answer has always been "maybe next year, but no promises". Now that they are making a smaller Duramax, besides the original 6.6, it (the smaller one) is supposed to be available in the 2009 models that have been available since like February of this year.

This is second hand information, though, as I have not yet seen one myself. Frankly, I think the 2009 body style sucks @$$.

Totally expected if you had a non-turbo engine. They just can't produce any horsepower. I'm leaning on my experience with the turbo diesel in my Libby and it was never lacking for sustaining power when towing the MJ, only stability (plus it never got old at traffic lights, when everyone and their uncle would pile in to the lane next to me thinking that I'd be the slow one and then I'd rocket off and leave them in my smoke). But it's a decade newer than the 6.5 in a 'Burb. But then it's also less than half the displacement. Seems I may have to take some test drives when the time comes. :D

Take it for a long test drive and put a load behind it. Just want you to know what you are getting into. I wish I had took the advice of my buds that all had diesels :roll: after I put the amout of $$$ into buying the truck and the $1,400 for the Banks turbo which had a lot more boost then a stock 6.5 and all I had was a big $$ dog. After I turned the pump way past what I should have it helped untill I burnt a hold through a piston :mad:

Never drove a Libby, but have Dodge, Ford and GMC 6.5's, 6'2's and a Duramax, and the 6.2 / 6.5 TD do not spool up like the new TD's :roll: The way you sound about the Libby, it sounds like it spools the turbo like the Dmax, Powerstroke, cummins. The turbo on the 6.2/6.5 starts to spool at the end of the power curve. You have to watch your boost and not allow the turbo to runaway due to the crank will break very easy if you turn over 3,000 rpm :mad:

I guess they *finally* started putting a Duramax in the newer Burbs, but it is a smaller one (4.5, not the 6.6), and the Burb's been downsized to not fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood with the doors closed any more.

Willy

I know. We've been asking, and the answer has always been "maybe next year, but no promises". Now that they are making a smaller Duramax, besides the original 6.6, it (the smaller one) is supposed to be available in the 2009 models that have been available since like February of this year.

This is second hand information, though, as I have not yet seen one myself. Frankly, I think the 2009 body style sucks @$$.

GM, as well as most of the others, have plans for smaller diesels in their 1500 series cars in the next few years. But, these are not yet available, including the 2009 models.

I agree. The new GM body styles are hideous. I would almost say that their stylists are blind, but I would hate to offend the blind by comparing them to a GM employee. Maybe they are going for ugly and mechanically inferior. :nuts:

Willy

Alrighty then. Pete, if you aren't worried about the kidney, and want to tow 4500 lbs, and want to save $$$ you can go to army surplus and get a Humvee. jamminz.gif

The HMMWV model T1097 can carry an internal load of 4400 lbs

plus pull a load of 4400 lbs. Of course, there is that kidney issue...

Besides, any small Prius that won't get out of the way you can just go over :D

The original Hummer Alpha was available with the 6.2 POS. Mid 90s they were available with the 6.5 turbo, which might be sufficient. Recent years can be had with a slightly detuned Dmax. Only 300 hp instead of 360.

But dang, the suckers start at $100K plus new. Even used they'd cost more than a new Dmax crew cab 2500HD short bed.

Alrighty then. Pete, if you aren't worried about the kidney, and want to tow 4500 lbs, and want to save $$$ you can go to army surplus and get a Humvee. jamminz.gif

The HMMWV model T1097 can carry an internal load of 4400 lbs

plus pull a load of 4400 lbs. Of course, there is that kidney issue...

Besides, any small Prius that won't get out of the way you can just go over :D

Find me a working one for about 6 grand and we'll see. :D

The original Hummer Alpha was available with the 6.2 POS. Mid 90s they were available with the 6.5 turbo, which might be sufficient. Recent years can be had with a slightly detuned Dmax. Only 300 hp instead of 360.

But dang, the suckers start at $100K plus new. Even used they'd cost more than a new Dmax crew cab 2500HD short bed.

The Hummer H1 Alpha with the Duramax was only available in 2006. This was the only year the Duramax was available. Prior to that was the 6.5 and 6.2.

Willy

Pete,this probably isn't much help,

but I'm a GM fan.

I own a 95 c2500 turbo 6.5,4l80e.

144,000 miles.

Bought it new.

I haul a 2900# Bigfoot camper,it

doesn't know it's there,'til you clamp on the binders

anyway. :eek:

The only breakdown in that many miles,Injection pump

at 90,000.GM warrantied it.

I get about 14 mpg not hauling anything,about

12 with the camper in.

I would not trade it for anything out there.

Even with diesel at $4.69 a gal down here.