I think I've narrowed down my hauler search...

Pete M

But am still open to suggestions. This is all theoretical at this stage because I'll need to sell the Dakota to fund it.

The requirements:

-1. Diesel. Turbo diesel at that. And no 6.0L Fords

-2. 4 full doors (I want to bring 4 or 5 people long distances in comfort)

-3. 4x4 (don't plan on needing it, but I once got a 2wd Durango stuck on the side of the road when flat-towing my MJ. We had to disconnect the MJ to allow the Durango to get back on to pavement. I don't want that to happen again.)

-4. No half-tons (I want the upgrade in brakes and axles)

-5. No duallys (I'd like to be able to park the dang thing)

-6. Needs to be around 5-7k (the general range of worth for my Dakota) and yet still be relatively new (want reliability), under 200k miles, and without needing major work (although I'd take a much newer rig if it had body damage but everything important still worked). The price range would obviously be modified if I have more funds available.

Any other details I should be looking at?

I'm leaning towards the 94+ 2500 Suburbans with the 6.5L diesel. :brows:

apr-7-2343.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're in the same boat and looking as well...

We've also narrowed it down to the same rig. We've also considered a 4 door truck (dully) for the simple fact we could fit a camper in the back.

In the same boat as you, need to sell another vehicle first before we purchase. We've been on the hunt for the right one though...

But am still open to suggestions. This is all theoretical at this stage because I'll need to sell the Dakota to fund it.

The requirements:

-1. Diesel. Turbo diesel at that. And no 6.0L Fords

-2. 4 full doors (I want to bring 4 or 5 people long distances in comfort)

-3. 4x4 (don't plan on needing it, but I once got a 2wd Durango stuck on the side of the road when flat-towing my MJ. We had to disconnect the MJ to allow the Durango to get back on to pavement. I don't want that to happen again.)

-4. No half-tons (I want the upgrade in brakes and axles)

-6. Needs to be around 5-7k (the general range of worth for my Dakota) and yet still be relatively new (want reliability), under 200k miles, and without needing major work (although I'd take a much newer rig if it had body damage but everything important still worked). The price range would obviously be modified if I have more funds available.

Any other details I should be looking at?

I'm leaning towards the 94+ 2500 Suburbans with the 6.5L diesel. :brows:

apr-7-2343.jpg

1. Can't think of a diesel that ISN'T Turbo

2. Would a 4 door pickup work?

3. Definitely do 4x4, for resale value alone, even if you keep it a long time

4. Gotta go back awhile to get diesel in anything BUT 3/4 ton

5. Easy

6. I know it won't be easy but a few grand more might be worth it to get an early Dodge Cummins or GM D-Max w/some miles on it

You probably know more about the 6.5 GM's than I do, but I never heard many good things about them, and I'm a GM fan. The 6.2 was a real dog, but I don't think the 6.5 was a whole lot better. Basically a gas engine converted to diesel. Just food for thought.

1. Can't think of a diesel that ISN'T Turbo

2. Would a 4 door pickup work?

3. Definitely do 4x4, for resale value alone, even if you keep it a long time

4. Gotta go back awhile to get diesel in anything BUT 3/4 ton

5. Easy

6. I know it won't be easy but a few grand more might be worth it to get an early Dodge Cummins or GM D-Max w/some miles on it

You probably know more about the 6.5 GM's than I do, but I never heard many good things about them, and I'm a GM fan. The 6.2 was a real dog, but I don't think the 6.5 was a whole lot better. Basically a gas engine converted to diesel. Just food for thought.

1. essentially any diesel that meets the "new enough" category would qualify. Early 90s had some non-turboed diesels.

2. absolutely, as long as it has four full doors. None of that half-door crap.

4. yup that's what I thought too. But I saw a couple ads for diesel Burbs that said they were 1500s so I included it for the heck of it.

6. The cummins kinda gets screwed over because of Dodge not having the crew cabs early on. Anyone know what year was the first for the crew cab dodges?

Actually I know very little about the 6.5 diesels other than they are supposed to be good for 20+ mpg in the 'Burbs. Still have to do that research.

Early 7.3 diesels were non-turbo. My recommendation is biased because I'm a ford fan, but I'd look at 94-97 Powerstroke 7.3 crew-cabs. You can find them in short or long beds, and IFS or solid axle. (ttb in F-250s and solid axle in 350's). These motors have proven track records, and those trucks were pretty well built.Even earlier years would work, but these years would have the least milage and would probly be easier to locate, while still having the older bodystyle: (less $$$). I had a 97 in the past and loved it. After that was a 03 Cummins Ram which I hated, and currently an 04 Powerstroke ( i know, I know Junky 6.0 but I absolutly love it ) Honestly though, the 97 was by far IMO the best one.

Also, I believe 02 was the first year for dodge 1/2 ton 4 doors, 03 was the 1st year for 3/4 and one ton 4 doors.

Can't say I disagree with the Green Man. Back then it wasn't as big a deal to do non-turbo because the 7.3 and the 6.5 were both V8s so they were higher revving and had better acceleration than a typical diesel, but also gave up some true low-end grunt.

As much as I'm a GM man, the 7.3 was head and shoulders above the 6.5. It essentially is International Trucks T444 engine. A few minor differences but it's International's engine. (The recent 6.0 is International's VT365). Funny thing though, in the commercial truck industry, that engine was considered a dog, but in "light duty" applications, i.e. 3/4 ton pickups, it was well recieved. Again, as a V8 it wasn't best suited to haul around 26k pounds all day in a Class 6 straight truck.

I thought the first 4dr Dodges came out in late 90s, so with them not coming out 'til '03, that kinda prices them out of the picture huh?

I know with the way gas prices have been going, people are trading the big diesels in for better gas milage. Thus being said, the dealerships around here are stuck with a lot of trucks nobody wants and have cut the prices way down. For the 5-7k you want to spend, you might be surprised at how new a truck you can get. :D

:cheers:

Problem is those same price increases have hurt the value of my Dakota R/T. :( Not too long ago it was worth almost 9Gs.

Dodge did have a 4-door in the late 90s, but they were half-doors.

The 7.3L Fords were first on my list until I discovered the 'Burbs and if I was to go with a pickup, I'd go Ford over Chevy. But I don't necessarily need the biggest, baddest engine in existence as much as I need a reliable hauler. Both engines are plenty capable of dragging my MJ around, the tie-breaker will have to be something else. Possibly the conclusions from the truck bed vs. interior bed debate.

I'd also go with a diesel Excursion if I could afford it.

Quite honestly, that was exactly my first thought when I saw you looking at the 'Burban, because I was thinking the same thing as mfpm, i.e. with the amount of price drop lately, you might be able to find one for $10k. I just thought it seemed like your list of wants and needs was more geared to a 4 door pickup.

I'd bet there is a Powerstroke Excursion one out there for $10k. :D

I'd also go with a diesel Excursion if I could afford it.

Quite honestly, that was exactly my first thought when I saw you looking at the 'Burban, because I was thinking the same thing as mfpm, i.e. with the amount of price drop lately, you might be able to find one for $10k. I just thought it seemed like your list of wants and needs was more geared to a 4 door pickup.

I'd bet there is a Powerstroke Excursion one out there for $10k. :D

BUT,,,, he said

And Excursions are about the same size (if not bigger) then duallies

they made 4 door Cummins' in the 90s :D

Yeah, but who's "they"?

That truck makes me want to change my rules a bit. :brows: Too bad it probably would cost too much.

And Excursions are about the same size (if not bigger) then duallys

Excursions aren't any wider than a regular Ford superduty truck. Duellys are like 2 feet wider than regular pickups. That black Dodge above is a dually. Notice the extra wide stance in the rear.

On a weird side note, the pull-your-part near me had a wrecked Centurion conversion in it not too long ago. If I had unlimited funds I might find one of those and pimp it out with a new drivetrain. :D

dsc00366.jpg

Yeah, but who's "they"?

That truck makes me want to change my rules a bit. :brows: Too bad it probably would cost too much.

Excursions aren't any wider than a regular Ford superduty truck. Duellys are like 2 feet wider than regular pickups. That black Dodge above is a dually. Notice the extra wide stance in the rear.

On a weird side note, the pull-your-part near me had a wrecked Centurion conversion in it not too long ago. If I had unlimited funds I might find one of those and pimp it out with a new drivetrain. :D

dsc00366.jpg

Hey JT.............. :nanner:

Yeah, but who's "they"?

dsc00366.jpg

Hey JT.............. :nanner:

:rotf: :razz:

Those Excursions are hugamoungoussuperBIG.. might not be as wide but their hugamoungoussuperBIG...

EDIT: That white "Centurion"?? thing is freaking blah... I didnt even see the tree on top because of its repulsiveness.... :chillin:

Yes...Dodge did make 4 door trucks in the 90's, but they are called Quad Cab's, not Crew. The "Crew Cab" is the one with the smaller suicide style doors in the back ;) ...just an FYI :cheers:

Personally, I would trade up to a Diesel to get the better MPG. My 4.7L Ram gets about 12 MPG right now and the Diesels are getting 19 - 23 MPG from the guys that I have talked to around here. That is definitley worth the change even with the price of Diesel fuel being what it is I would save about $120 a month.

I have never been a GM type. Dodge is always my first choice, but I really do like the old Fords wit the 7.3's.

Pete - My borther-in-law has a Dodge 4 door (quad cab) extended cab with the diesel engine in dark blue. Its on the market...not sure exactly what he wants but I believe less then 11K. It seats 7.

PM me if you're interested and I'll get ya'll in touch.

Yes...Dodge did make 4 door trucks in the 90's, but they are called Quad Cab's, not Crew. The "Crew Cab" is the one with the smaller suicide style doors in the back ;) ...just an FYI :cheers:

No, they did not. Dodge made extended cab trucks in the '90s, nothing with four full doors. Starting in '98 they added the suicide doors to the extended cab and called it a quad cab. Starting in '03 Dodge "almost" offered a truck with four full doors which they continued to call the quad cab. This was an attempt to satisfy extended cab and crew cab buyers with one truck. It had forward hinged rear doors that were larger than an extended cab but not as large as a true four door.

GM did put the 6.2 and 6.5 diesels in K5s and 1500 Suburbans in the '88 to '98 body styles (I'm not sure if it was offered clear to '98). These were known for getting good mileage. The 6.5 doesn't have the reputation of the early Powerstrokes or Cummins, but they are not entirely bad engines. They will work just fine for what you want.

But, keep in mind that mileage stories are like fish stories. Basically any story you hear about somebody getting 25+ MPG while towing at 75 MPH is complete BS.

Willy

here you go pete. and it's already got 22's on it and purple metal flake paint!

NOT TO SHABBY PRICES

G-man, that dealer has some pretty good prices.

yeah JT, that guy has been in richmond for YEARS. he gets a lot of higher mileage imports in good shape that he sells for cheap too. i think he gets a lot of repo cars from the banks too. sells a lot to the bling crowd.

But, keep in mind that mileage stories are like fish stories. Basically any story you hear about somebody getting 25+ MPG while towing at 75 MPH is complete BS.

Willy

yeahthat.gif Willy, thanks for pointing that out before I did. If that was true, the 6.5 would still be in production and GM wouldn't be the sinking ship that it is.