2 days to talk sense into me......

georgiaboy27

2 days left before the Comanche goes up on the trading block for a 98 tj wrangler with 4 banger and 5 speed.........somebody try to talk some since into me.....am I getting old,or am I just losing my mind?

You ever have the need to Haul ANYTHING, I mean just a little bit... If the answer is YES, then I'd really think twice... I have a 99 TJ, and the fact that I doesn't carry basically anything (and only gets 10MPG), are some of the main reasons for me looking for and getting my MJ...

Don't get me wrong, I love my TJ (when it's not laying down on the side), and I've put a ton of money in it, and if I had to decide between my MJ and my TJ, it would be an easy pic (TJ, just because I've put so much into it)... But just consider what your going to use it for (Daily Driving, Hard Wheeling, Future Hardcore Mods, etc, etc).

SW2

You'll spend more money on the TJ than you probably would on the MJ. What kind of trade in value are they willing to give and will that really make that much difference in the payment. On the other hand, if your going to get a TJ, at least go for an 03-06 Rubi. You can save the money you would spend on the 98. The Rubi stock is very capable off road. Like mjeff87 said, look in the sig line. Keep the MJ, go find a junker for a few hundred bucks, then trade that in and demand 2-3K for it, and buy the TJ.

:cheers:

me personally i wouldn't go for a 4 banger Tj in trade of the mj, unless it was a 03 or newer 2.4 4 banger

i have an 04 tj and i love it and gets great mileage, but the 2.5 i hear doesn't have enough power to drive highway speeds with no top, but my 2.4 can everday. but tj's suck for carrying more than 1 person and a small backpack :oops:

, but the 2.5 i hear doesn't have enough power to drive highway speeds with no top, but my 2.4 can everday.

Yup.....I even have trouble with the top ON if it's really windy :cry:

And if you're thinking the 2.5 will get great gas mileage, that's not the case. I average a fairly consistent 20 MPG, and that's mostly highway mileage back and forth to work.

Don't get me wrong, I love my TJ, and got it for a good price, but if I had to do it all over again, I'd at least opt for the X model (4.0).

Jeff

I don't know......... :headpop: I am just looking at the expense of this being my daily driver,the price of buying new tires....36 inch parnellis are not cheap, room for my kids and wife to be able to ride in one vehicle.....I am really torn right now and don't know what to do, and plus this would mean the MJ would be falling into the hands of an 18 year old kid........can you picture that? I think I am at least going to humor the guy by meeting him to take a look at it but not sure about the trade..........here it is by the way.......

http://chuckstrucks.iforumer.com/viewto ... uckstrucks

Well, have you decided yet?

Forgot about this pic, but if your worried about hauling space, it's what you make of it.

I gotta ask the question if either of those suckers leaked on your way home. That would be one heck of a mess to clean up! :popcorn:

Also, in my opinion, that TJ isnt worth what he wants for it. If you want to do ANYTHING at all to that 4 cyl as far as lifting it up, you might as well stick with the 6 cyl TJs instead. We had a '99 TJ with the 4 cyl and after we lifted it 4 inches and put 35's under it, it got the same gas mileage as a 6 cyl and it was WAY underpowered. To solve the problem we would have needed to regear the axles. I'm still running 3.55 gears in my 6 cyl...

I've never heard anything about 4 cyl Jeeps as far as excellent wheelers after they have been modified. Stock they are just fine, my Bro has a YJ with the 4 banger. Its OK in my opinion but I will never own anything but a 6 cyl Jeep. I Love my 4.0 and my MJ! ;)

But, thats just my $.02. It's your decision ultimately. Just please don't do something you will regret later. :cheers:

I gotta ask the question if either of those suckers leaked on your way home. That would be one heck of a mess to clean up!

Nope, neither leaked. Did take a good chip of powder coating off the rear bumper when I dropped the axle on it. I've since pick up a cargo liner for the rear but like was said earlier, that carpet is really not worth a whole lot.

Back to the topic. After looking at the listing, I'm a little courious about his claimed gas milage. The 4 bangers came with 28 or 29 inch tires and he is running 31's. It didn't mention anything about re-gearing. True his rpm's are lower with the bigger tires, but the increased mass should be dogging that 4cyl out thus making it work harder and use more gas. Just rolling hills would make it hard to maintain highway speeds. I think I'm with a few others, if you want more room for the family, get an XJ with a 4cyl. I've been looking for one and have seen plenty of mid to upper 90's for less than 2-3k. Remember, kids grow up and that back seat is small. I got rid of a VW Jetta for that reason. Kid out grew the rear seat leg room.