I think I found my next Comanche - PROGRESS PICS UP

Hey guys guess what?? Ever since I sold my ripped up 86 with the blown mill last Dec I have been on the prowl for another one and I may have found it, IF the dude will accept a FAIR price cuz hes askin too much.

Its a white 89 shorty 4x4, 4.0L, bench, 5spd, A/C [don't work], gauges, doesn't leak anything, no rust no damage. 170k miles, new radiator etc but the thing BB's for $1,600 and he wants $2,300 obo.

I drove it and it runs strong, no smoke, shifts great, quiet. His wifes having kid number two so bye bye truck. If he'll take $1,700 I'll buy it but he will probly hold out for two grand, maybe. If it all works out I will sell my Camaro and keep the XJ.

I'll keep you informed as to what happens.

Careful, you're going to spoil yourself with all that torque. :D

And for the record, I'd give him the 2 Gs. Why squabble over such a small amount to get a great truck like that? Don't get me wrong, I'd still offer 1700, but I'd find something to sell to make up the difference if that's what it took. :brows:

Dang Pete I am serious that sucker burned rubber going from 2nd to 3rd and thats with a passenger. AND at 6000' above sea level! It has a chrome diamond plate trukbox but I told the dude I wouldnt want that cuz a shell was goin on it if I bot the truck. I will snap a couple pix for ya tomorrow a.m.

I was able to SOA the Varmint 7" without any driveline mods but I dunno if I can do that with a short bed. If not then it will have to do the AAL and shackles in back. I have a 3" lift out in the garage for the front.

This is all foresight if the sale actually happens or not. The truck is a little ruff inside like the mini console is messed up and the ashtray is jacked shut but headliner and carpet and door panels are perfect. I bet I can get 800 for my Camaro from a guy I work with who's been buggin me forever to sell it to him.

Interiors are nothing. I could probably referb my entire interior for under $50 if a nice one comes through the pull-yur-part.

Don't dawdle on this one. It sounds like a keeper. jamminz.gif

Just show up with 17 one hundred dollar bills :D. Then, when his wife is around, whip them out. It should do the trick :chillin: . Good luck - Rich

Hey Rich - that worked!! The 89 MJ is in my garage! Thanks bro. You and Pete said DO IT and dang if it aint done!

Woo hoo!! I am back in an MJ again and this suckers got the 4.0L and lotsa other goodies too. YOW!! I'm stoked man it has begun again!

Its too late and dark to take pix but I will snap some in the next day or two and get them posted.

PS what the hell happened to the MJ list?? :cry: Its freakin DEAD!!!

I actually prefer it to the forum but hey thats just me but geez its a ghost town. Sad, man. That was soo special for soo long. Probly too many regulars [like me] who vanished.

Just show up with 17 one hundred dollar bills :D. Then, when his wife is around, whip them out. It should do the trick :chillin: . Good luck - Rich

Hey Rich - that worked!! The 89 MJ is in my garage! Thanks bro. You and Pete said DO IT and dang if it aint done!

:jump: Heck yeah man :jump:

Get those pics ASAP - Rich

PS what the hell happened to the MJ list?? :cry: Its freakin DEAD!!!

I actually prefer it to the forum but hey thats just me but geez its a ghost town. Sad, man. That was soo special for soo long. Probly too many regulars [like me] who vanished.

Members have come and gone since the very early days. It's just a fact of life that peoples' interests and priorities can change. I know you liked the old Yahoo format, but the club grew to a certain point and it just came time to move to a forum. Now everyone can post photos directly into their posts and they can read through a thread simply and easily. It just allows us to do way more things. (like have a projects section where you're going to post up lots of photos of the new rig, yes?) :D

Tried to post pics about 4 times but it aint workin so here's the best its gonne get till I figger out why its freakin out on me...

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

so what's the plan :brows: besides taken over the comanche world...nice catch

Well I totally morphed my 86 into a whole different creature than what it began as but the plans for this one are less drastic. I want it to be a capable wheeler but keep its fine street sass.

Buckets from a 2-door XJ

Full center console

Sliding rear window

3" lift

Rear locker

31x10.50-15's either A/T's or mudders

Newer steering wheel. Hate the one thats in there now.

Amp & subs

Home built rear bumper

Hi flo exhaust

Throttle body spacer & cold air intake

Camper shell

and a bunch of other jazz I just aint thought of yet but it'll come comancheB.gif

Hey Rick-man! Welcome back mate. That B a fine lookin' rig. Good pics too. Some of the background pics look like Petersen AFB buildings? Been awhile since I've been out there. :cheers:

Hey Don - howz it goin?! Nice to start seeing you guys [in print] again. Me & Pete still toss each other a note now n then but I've lost contact with most everyone else. And the old MJ list is a corpse now. I know nobody and vise versa.

Why don't I start by detailing the most serious problem with the 89 and get your opinions on it.. When its cold it idles rough and runs really rich but it smooths out a little after it warms up. I haven't popped the dist cap yet but it and the wires look new. I don't see any bad vacuum lines. I'm thinking maybe the oxygen sensors bad. I cleaned the injectors yesterday but still the ECM may be sending it the wrong info making it run bad.

:???:

And the old MJ list is a corpse now. I know nobody and vise versa.

That's because everyone moved over here and no one posts over there but new guys/gals that haven't gotten the memo yet. ;)

Does your EGR function normal?

If you shut off a hot truck for a few minutes, then fire it up again, does it idle rough then? (meaning that the engine isn't exactly "cold", but the computer is still going through the pre-flight checklist)

And the old MJ list is a corpse now. I know nobody and vise versa.

Does your EGR function normal?

If you shut off a hot truck for a few minutes, then fire it up again, does it idle rough then? (meaning that the engine isn't exactly "cold", but the computer is still going through the pre-flight checklist)

I dunno man. It runs fast, like 1,200 rpm all the time and rough and rich like a vac leak but I have not found one. Also I ran outta gas today and the gauge read 1/8 tank so I gotta calibrate that somehow too. PLUS [i love how we find all these problems the owner knew about and didnt tell us] the fan clutch is shot. I can stick my hand in the fan at ide and stop it, and even spin it the other way while its running. May be why it was overheating before. He wired the aux fan to a toggle switch but I will replace the fan. Also, ah hell I forgot the next 'also' but it has alot of kinks I gotta work out but ya know what - its a Comanche and they're even fun to work on when stuffs busted.

I have access to a pair of 1983 Bronco D44 axles free if I want them. The idea of those plus manual hubs really excites me but I wanted to ask you how much of a PITA are they to adapt. I have no idea what gears they are but I got 3.07's so they can't be worse eh? I got a welder and am a decent/good welder and fabricator.

If you need any gear work be sure to go to Terry M. you can find him on the Rock Frogs (87xjco) forum or on JF in the CO jeep club section (87XOTA).

Nice find. Looks clean, now we truly can have an all mj run (i think) jamminz.gif

Still wanna sell me them sliders :brows:

The 83 Bronco front axle was the TTB (twin traction beam) pile of crap. Not worth it. 1979 was the last year for the solid front axle in half-ton Ford trucks.

I knew I asked the right guy. Thanks bro.

• 2 weeks later...

So it is still happening. :( Do yourself a big favor and copy every lengthy or complicated post to Word or Notebook before posting, just in case. There was a time I had to do that with emails through hotmail because for no particular reason (that I could determine) the program would crash and when I hit "back" all my words were gone. :mad:

Welll, shoot! I guess I'll re-do it all dangit!! :headpop:

Mmmm-kay here we go agin!

First I added the under hood light with the long recoil wire that reaches the rear bumper. I also put in a gas strut in place of the prop rod but it was too tuff and bent the mounts so it got removed.

Image Not Found

Then I removed the defunked worn out fan clutch and popped in another XJ aux fan

Image Not Found

Then went in the awesome 91 XJ Burgundy interior. Buckets, console, steerin wheel, clock and 12v socket.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Last I removed and re-painted all the trim. Headlight bezels, grill, rear bumper, etc.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Now I am running 10ga. wire for the amp, remote and RCA's to pump up the sound system.

The lift will begin sometime next week. Priorities ya know. :brows: