I think I found my next Comanche - PROGRESS PICS UP

Very clean look. I like it. :D

Is the tire in the bed just propped up or did you mount it in there? I've been looking at different ways to put one in.

:cheers:

Yea it was sliding around in back cuz the cable is missing from the winch under the bed so I drilled a 7/16" hole in the side of the bedrail and bolted the spare there until I replace the winch.

Funny thing is, I found an MJ in the boneyard last week and couldn't get to the winch in that one to remove it cuz they had the truck sitting on rims that were stacked up under the bed - right under the winch! :roll:

So I need to go back and try to pry them wheels out from under it so I can get to the crank. I want my spare under the bed where it belongs.

Question about your underhood light:

I just pulled one off my donor XJ, and the bulb looks good, but I can't get it to light up. Of course they riveted them together, so I can't see if something inside is broken...

I don't see a number on my bulb. Can you pull yours and get me a part number off of it?

Also, are they actuated like the newer TJ ones where the hood has to be up for them to come on?

Thanks!

Question about your underhood light:

I just pulled one off my donor XJ, and the bulb looks good, but I can't get it to light up. Of course they riveted them together, so I can't see if something inside is broken...

I don't see a number on my bulb. Can you pull yours and get me a part number off of it?

Also, are they actuated like the newer TJ ones where the hood has to be up for them to come on?

Thanks!

I believe its just a mercury switch inside or some other dealio thats position specific. I can try to find a part # for the bulb or you can get a test light and see if you have 12v going to the light with the hood up. If so and no light then its the bulb. I have a spare if you need it and can ship it once we determine thats the prob.

After a bit more slacking off in the garage tonight, I did find a number on the bulb: M-90. Does that sound right to you, or anyone?

Also, after closer inspection, the bulb may be burned out after all. The darn filament is so small its hard to see.

The other issue I have is it was never hooked up in the XJ, so I have no idea if it ever worked or not... :D

I'll check it out more tomorrow, and see what I can find out.

Well it failed the emissions test - barely. HC's failed at 3.267 GPM and the limit is 3.0 GPM so I'm putting in 4qts of cheap crappy oil and 2qts of ATF and am gonna run that for about 15 min then drain it all out and do a decent oil change with Valvoline or Castrol. Also going to hike up the idle from 700 to about 950 cuz the HC's spiked at idle and ran low at high RPM.

I changed the oil about 20 miles ago or less but even after I changed it the oil looked like poo so it needs a good flushing out. The wires/cap/rotor/plugs are new so the guy must have made a feeble attempt to get it to run right but with all the vac leaks, nothing was gonna fix it cept fixing the leaks.

Oh well I got a 60 day temp tag but only have 10 days to get a retest done so out to the garage I go. I've never been one o them 'wait til the last minute' types. That'll screw ya every time.

Welll, shoot! I guess I'll re-do it all dangit!! :headpop:

Then I removed the defunked worn out fan clutch and popped in another XJ aux fan

Image Not Found

That's the same thing I ended up doing when I got rid of the mechanical fan Rick. How's the clearance? Mine's working great. Did a writeup here:

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8342

Ignore the first part though.......... :oops:

Awesome, Don! Very clean. If its cool with you I'd like to put your write up in my 'how-to' page of my Jeep site.

I just used another aux fan but its not real big and overheating is still an issue so I will opt for a bigger fan. I like your use of the low profile bolts. I didnt have any so I just hacksawed my studs off at the nuts [was in a hurry] and it [fan] misses the studs by about 1/8". Its loud as hell tho!

Awesome, Don! Very clean. If its cool with you I'd like to put your write up in my 'how-to' page of my Jeep site.

I just used another aux fan but its not real big and overheating is still an issue so I will opt for a bigger fan. I like your use of the low profile bolts. I didnt have any so I just hacksawed my studs off at the nuts [was in a hurry] and it [fan] misses the studs by about 1/8". Its loud as hell tho!

Sure you can use it Rick. Since I did the writeup though I've replaced the old design 5-blade unit with a 1997+ XJ 10-blade unit. It puts out a lot more air, is quieter, and is about 1/4" thinner too, so mo-better clearance.

can't get the truck to pass emissions now. I'm getting closer to figgering it out tho. Also its overheating on these 90° plus days. The rad is new but the coolant looked like puke so I flushed it and put in new antifreeze and also I think the fan clutch was worn out so I welded the fan to the clutch so its direct drive now [yep I removed the electric and put the mech one back in]. Doesnt seem to have affected the power at all. We'll see if that helped or not.