any headgasket tips? now: burned up piston :(

looks like I'm going to be tearing down a friend's 4.0 to change out the headgasket.  I've watched a couple youtube vids (that makes me an expert, right?) but looking for tips.  It's a 96 4.0 with AC/cruise and it is still in the jeep.  I've already decide that the intake and exhaust manifolds will remain attached to the head.  I know it's heavy to remove, but I have a cherry picker and the trade off in not risking having to deal with any snapped bolts is worth it to me (very small window of time to work on it).

If your leaving both manifolds on the only tip I can think of is to cut yourself a little chunk of fuel line (rubber hose) about 2- 21/2" then slice it down one side length wise. The bolt on the rear drivers side will hit the firewall and not come out....loosen it off lift it up slide the rubber hose over it....the hose will hold the bolt out of the way (but in place) for you for both the removal and install.  :thumbsup:

I also spend the extra $6 every time and by the extreme duty gasket.....do not know if it makes a difference.....but the name sounds tough.  . :MJ 1: .

I was gonna mention that same rear bolt. Remember to put it in BEFORE dropping the head on ... Or you'll have to spend some time massaging the firewall pinch seam to get it in. Guess how I know that one?

The cherry picker makes life so much easier, and smoother.

If the manifolds studs are going to break they already have. But I can understand leaving it all together. Remember to disconnect the O2 sensor lead as well.

A/C compressor bracket will need to be unbolted.....couple of those bolts can be a PITA and require a moderate amount of swearing and assortment of 15mm implements to get at.  Also head bolt #11 gets permatex/pipe dope and is only torqued to 100lb/ft.

edit: and the obligatory warning that the head bolts can only be reused once (and should be paint-marked on the heads if so).  I usually just replace them for what they are worth.  Not really the place to be cheaping out.

edit, edit:  a 96 might have head bolts with the long heads on them and 12 point.  You'll need a deep well 12 socket, and might have to drill out the center of it to fit over the stud portion on top.  I have a special socket I made on my drill press for just such use.

so far so good. :thumbsup:   got everything separated except the exhaust pipe.  I'm letting those bolts soak. the owner of the XJ is coming over to help heave the assembly off.  should know soon if the gasket is the only issue.

I did have to go buy a 12 point 13mm deep 3/8" socket for that one back bolt. my deep 13mm half-inch socket was too tall and the short one too short.  the new socket is juuuuust right. :D

Don't mean to condescend....but just in case...... so you are ready for the install

2011-07-31_213419_jeep.gif

step 1...tighten all bolts to 22ft/lbs
step 2....tighten all bolts to 45 ft/lbs
step 3....recheck all bolts at 45ft/lbs
step 4...tighten all bolts except #11 to 110ft/lbs, then tighten #11 to 100ft/lbs...

#11 bolt instructions have been noted above.

Well on the bright side.....you already have a cherry picker on site........pull it while you are in wrench mode......it is only about 12 more bolts.....let the owner decide were the dollars go....but that ain't going nowhere... :dunno:

we hauled it over to my grandmas where it'll sit 'til I return this summer.  I think the best course of action would be finding a rotted out 4wd donor.  this one is reasonably clean (except for the crunched-in pass doors) and deserves to be 4wd for once in its life. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Need a piston?

ya got me thinking.  think I can get away with just replacing the piston?  I mean, what have I got to lose?  I still need to address the reason for the failure.  maybe a bad injector?

If the cylinder walls are clean, no groove, ridge or wear marks. I'd just change the one piston out. Did you run a compression check on all cylinders B4 tearing the engine down?

To repeat Eagle, do you need a piston?

I will need a piston, but not for a few months.  I'm in GA, the Jeep is in MI.  the soonest I'll get back north is July.  heck, Jim, it's entirely possible I might be visiting you before I again visit michigan.  :D

I tried to do a compression test beforehand, but the tester I got my hands on wouldn't work with the 4.0.  the adapter was so fat that the socket that fit it wouldn't fit into the sparkplug hole.  :dunno: