Replacing 215/75 R15's

225/75-15 (and later 235/75-15) tires were original equipment on some XJ/MJ models and both will fit all our unlifted trucks just fine. They are slightly wider than the 195, 205 and 215 tires.

A bit taller, too - 235 - 215 = 20mm, or about 8 tenths of an inch, times the 75% profile = 6 tenths of an inch taller.

edit: whoops! for the tire diameter, you have to count the side wall twice - that makes 6 tenths doubled for 1.2" taller.

235/75/15 fit on my 92 no issues at all. I'm currently running 31/10.5/15 (265/75/15 - I believe) with it only rubbing on the LCA's at full lock..but a washer under the steerting stop fixed that.

Edit: I want to post pictures of mine! :yes: Mine arent the same tires as yxmj. Mine are a Pepboys special, Dakota a/t 2's got all 4 new installed for $400  :thumbsup:

Image Not Found

Both of my unlifted XJ's run P23/75/R15 no problem. Ran them on the MJ when first bought.

..Now the MJ has BFG AT 31x10.5x15  I have never touched the rear but when i first brought it home the back end looked to jacked up for me so I leveled it out by putting in ZJ-V8 springs

I do get a bit of tire rub from time to time on those fast high G corners.....but I attribute it more to the wheel off set...the aluminum rims are fairly deep dish and give it a nice wide stance.

I have never seen a Comanche (or Cherokee) that came factory with 195 width tires even though they are listed in my tire pressure chart in the glove box. AFAIK 235 never came on them from the factory, but 99% out there on the road have them because it is the most common tire size out there.

The first number is the section width (not the tread) in mm. The second number is the section height as a percentage of the width, the third number is the rim size in inches.

P225/75R15 is the largest tire that is guaranteed to fit with no rubbing whatsoever. A lot of people can get away with P235/75R15, but when they are brand new, and depending on the brand and model tire as well as the specific vehicle (even though they should be the same, not all are exactly the same) they might slightly rub the lower control arms under full lock steering.

Be mindful that a different tire size will make the speedometer be off. I run P235/75R15 on my daily driver that should have P205/75R15. When the speedometer reads 70,  I'm actually going 75.

You should be able to get the stock style Goodyear wranglers in 235/75/15 for around $100 a piece.

That'll probably be the cheapest for a decent new tire. The 225/75/15's are more expensive in my area.

If you are near a Wal-Mart with an auto center, they have the Goodyear Wrangler (the ORIGINAL Wrangler, just like what came on the 1980s XJs and MJs) in 235/75-15 (only size available in 15") for $88 each.

Best deal in the galaxy.

Yes, a good deal. But I've never had a Goodyear Wrangler tire that wasn't square. If you're lucky enough to find a set that can be balanced, 2K miles later they are out of balance. I am NOT trying to start a tire fight, but I've had nothing but problems with them for many years. Swap them out for a comparable Firestone or Michelin (more expensive yes but last twice as long), no more tire problems. If someone gave me a set of Goodyears I wouldn't spend the $$ to mount them. They used to be decent tires, but never again for me...............

Yes, a good deal. But I've never had a Goodyear Wrangler tire that wasn't square. If you're lucky enough to find a set that can be balanced, 2K miles later they are out of balance. I am NOT trying to start a tire fight, but I've had nothing but problems with them for many years. Swap them out for a comparable Firestone or Michelin (more expensive yes but last twice as long), no more tire problems. If someone gave me a set of Goodyears I wouldn't spend the $$ to mount them. They used to be decent tires, but never again for me...............

Are you sure you're talking about the original Wrangler Radial, and not some of the later "Wrangler XXX" models? I've put probably 150,000 miles or more on original Wranglers and never had a balance problem. The tires I've had severe balance problems with, to my surprise, have been Dunlops.

I'm running two sets now that are less than a year and a half old.

No balance issues and it looks like I'll get 40-45k out of them.

Only tires that I got more mileage than that on were some 265/75/16 BFG Rugged Terrains that were load range E on my 98 XJ.

Only wore about a quarter inch in 50,000 miles. Bought them used for 80 bucks. Best tires I ever had.

I've been screwing around with Goodyear Wrangler tires since the mid 80s Eagle. Most all were AAFES tires since I was overseas someplace back then. Many new sets, different vehicles, and always had balancing problems. I've even had them "trued" by spinning them while shaving them round, taking off high spots. That worked for awhile, then after a few thousand miles later they would be out of round and vibing again. I gave up on them around 2002 after a new set for my last 01 XJ did the same. So no more for me. Just me experiences, I'm not a masochist, so IB done with them.

Cost was also what drove me to the 235/75-15s. When I first got my MJ, there were three different brands of tires in two sizes, with varying tread levels. As a broke @$$ college student, I was definitely attracted to the 235's I got being $40/corner less than the 225's the owner's manual recommended. The General Grabber AT2's I got rub a little on the driver's side lower control arm at full lock, but otherwise they look and fit great, and they're pretty awesome on snow and ice for a tire you can run year-round. I've put almost 10,000 miles on them and no issues, either, although that reminds me they're overdue for a rotation...

• 1 year later...

Well I am pulling this thread back from the dead.

I have always been a Michelin LTX M/S guy, but alas they do not make them in my stock 215/75/15 size anymore.  This set  went over 80K in the past 8 or 9 years with not even a  flat, but now they are all cracked on the inside.  Plenty of tread left.

I drive on the road only unless I really do something stupid.  3.07 gears.  1990 4.0L 5 speed 4WD.

I am thinking Falken Wild Peak HTs in 225/75/15 for $88 x 4 + shipping and mounting.  Better part of $500.   Load index of 102.  Standard load tire though, not C rated. 

Can you suggest something else you like?

Will a 225/75 R15 fit?

What's the difference if I go back stock which is the 195/75 R15 or if I go to a 70 R15 in either a 195, 205 or 215?

You can easily run 235/75R15s on an XJ or MJ at stock height. I'm currently running one of the family XJs on 235/75s, and I ran the 87 MJ on 30x9.50R15s for years. It needs tires now, and I may replace them with another set of 30x9.50s.

The "75" or "70" in the size designation refers to the aspect ratio -- which is the sidewall height as a percentage of the overall width. If the first number is the same (such as 225) and the wheel size is the same (15-inch) you lose height going to a smaller aspect ratio.

Example: My 2000 XK Sport came from the factory with 225/75R15 tires. The 2000 XJ Classic came with 225/70R16 tires. (Note the difference in both aspect ratio and wheel size). They are actually the same size in rolling diameter, The 225/75R15 rolls 713 revolutions per mile. The 225/70R16 rolls 710 revolutions per mile. That's not enough to even count -- it amounts to a difference of 0.4 percent.

Personally, I think the best deal going for XJ/MJ tires (for general driving) is at Wal-Mart, They have the original Goodyear Wrangler radials for $88 per tire. These were the OEM tire on the Jeeps back in the late 80s and early 90s, before "Wrangler" became en entire family of tires rather than a specific model of Goodyear. It used to be offered in both 215/75R15 and 225/75R15 -- Goodyear now offers it only in 235/75R15 ... which IMHO is the optimum tire size for the XJ and MJ.

Thanks Eagle!  I will consider the Goodyear Wranglers.  Stay warm my friend!!

I also love the Michelin LTX M/S tires, and have a set of 31-inchers on mine. Michelins are a little more $$ up front, but they never wear out. You can still get the Michelin LTX M/S2 tires in the P235/75R15 size, which will easily fit your rig. If you're used to Michelins, I don't think you will be happy with Goodyear Wranglers. 

See I've had nothing but good luck and I've had them on my f150, Dakota, Durango, all my friends have them on their xjs and I have them on my mj. For the price of the tire I don't think you could go wrong