1989 Comanche High School Project

The main problem we are currently trying to resolve is that several years ago former students took the truck for a joyride during winter, did doughnuts in the school parkinglot, and blew out the rear diff. We have been trying to source a new axle assembly and the only axle (dana 35) with the proper ratio (3.08) and the closest one we can find at a junkyard is in Iowa.

Is the school's truck 2WD or 4WD? If it's 4WD, you could replace the 3.08 axle with 3.55 and it'll drive a lot better. If it's 4WD, of course the rear axle has to be the same ratio as the front.

As noted, Cherokee axles are the same except for the location of the spring perches. I'm pretty sure I have a 3.08 axle buried under the snow outside. Once the snow melts, if you haven't found anything I could send you the gears if your instructor has the skills to set up a differential.

Post the VIN number here and in the registry, and I will send you a build sheet from Chrysler, including open recalls, and original selling dealer info. Looks like a straight project though. There is plenty of info here about other axles that can be used if you have some welding skills, including the dana 44, Ford 8.8, and Chrysler 8 1/4. Your biggest issue will be finding matching gears if its a 4 wd. If its a 2wd, like was said, find better geared axles like.55 or higher and enjoy! Feel free to ask ANY questios, we are glad to help.

Wisconsin. Pat?

Waunakee Highschool, Waunakee, Wisconsin

You could use a cherokee axle, you just have to move the spring perches.

Whats blown about the stock axle? Learning to do gears is a good skill to have.

The ring gear and the pinion gear are both missing teeth and don't spin freely also, one of the spider gears shattered and the carrier is damaged from the bits and pieces being churned around in the diff. like a blender, :laughin:

Is the school's truck 2WD or 4WD? If it's 4WD, you could replace the 3.08 axle with 3.55 and it'll drive a lot better. If it's 4WD, of course the rear axle has to be the same ratio as the front.

As noted, Cherokee axles are the same except for the location of the spring perches. I'm pretty sure I have a 3.08 axle buried under the snow outside. Once the snow melts, if you haven't found anything I could send you the gears if your instructor has the skills to set up a differential.

Thank you for your generosity, the truck is 4wd, we tried to locate a replacement axle by calling almost all of the junkyards we could find in our state and have had no luck with this 3.08 ratio. We have contemplated the cherokee axle swap but none of us are confident enough in our welding skills to guarantee the welds won't and cause injury to someone down the road. We located a d35 through carpart in iowa which is our best bet so far, I don't know if the current axle will be salvageable, I will take detailed pictures of the internal damage tomorrow morning.

Post the VIN number here and in the registry, and I will send you a build sheet from Chrysler, including open recalls, and original selling dealer info. Looks like a straight project though. There is plenty of info here about other axles that can be used if you have some welding skills, including the dana 44, Ford 8.8, and Chrysler 8 1/4. Your biggest issue will be finding matching gears if its a 4 wd. If its a 2wd, like was said, find better geared axles like.55 or higher and enjoy! Feel free to ask ANY questios, we are glad to help.

Thank you dasbulliwagen, I will get the VIN as soon as I have access to it tomorrow, we definantely appreciate your help!

The bug deflector and bed rails gotta go. Look way too grandpa. JMO

You could also use a Ford Explorer 8.8 and swap or regear the front.

LOL, love the grandpa comment :rotf: , that's the first observation our group said when we saw the truck, and the bug deflector and bed rails were the first items off when we tore this down.

Thank you everyone for your help, I never expected such an awesome response in just one day!

I will be sure to update this page regularly and post plenty of pictures.

LOL, love the grandpa comment :rotf: , that's the first observation our group said when we saw the truck, and the bug deflector and bed rails were the first items off when we tore this down.

Don't get me wrong...there's nothing wrong with grandpas...since I AM one. I'm just in denial...my truck is a chick magnet, down at the Senior Center!!

The vin is 1J7FJ26L8KL546905

Please note, (I can't turn bold off) that some of the option descritions are wrong.... like it having a nickel metal hydride battery.... Chrysler re used some of the option codes. Have fun, and keep us updated!

Vehicle Service Information

Year/Model: 1989 JEEP COMANCHE

Last Odometer: 0 miles on

Body Style: MJJL62

In-Service Date:

Engine:

ERB-DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

In-Service Odometer: 0 miles

Transmission: DDX-5-Speed HD Manual Transmission

Odometer Type: miles

Color 1: PE8-DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

Car Line: XX

Color 2:

QE8-DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

Build Date: March 3, 1989

Hour: 01

Vehicle Sale Information

Selling Dealer: 23666 - TOYCEN MOTORS INC

Sales Type: 1 - DIRECT RETAIL

City:BLOOMER

State: WI

Telephone: (715)568-2900

Standard Equipment Code Description Code Description Code Description

APAS Monotone Paint

BAQS DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

BCXS Nickel Metal Hydride Battery

BGAS Power Front Disc/Rear Drum Brakes

BJAS DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

BKPS 10x2.5 Rear Drum Brakes

CKJS Black Vinyl Floor Covering

CSRS Passenger Assist Handles

CUMS Mini Floor Console

DHNS Command-Trac Part Time 4WD System

DJHS 230MM Front Axle

DMMS 3.07 Rear Axle Ratio

DRJS 175MM Rear Axle

GACS Tinted Glass Windows

GBBS Tinted Windshield Glass

GCBS Front Door Tinted Glass

GEHS Fixed Door Vent Glass

GNAS Rear View Day/Night Mirror

GUAS Pwr Htd Drvr Memory Mirrors, F/Away

HCDS Heater w/Instrument Pnl Ventilation

JAAS Instrument Panel

JAZS Analog Instrument Cluster

JBFS Instrument Panel Black Bezel

JCAS 85 MPH Primary Speedometer

JKBS Inst Panel Mounted Hood Release

KWWS DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

K3ZS DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

LAFS Key in Ign/Seat Belt Warning Buzzer

LAPS Shift Indicator Warning Lamp

LBCS Glove Box Lamp

LCJS DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

LMAS Halogen Headlamps

MB1S Black Front Bumper

MFFS Black Grille

MHBS Bright Windshield Moldings

MMCS Rear Qtr Solid Window Insert

MMGS Belt Moldings

MMJS DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

NAAS Federal Emissions

NBAS DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE \

NBKS EVAP Control System

NDAS Catalytic Converter

NF5S DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

QE8S DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

SBAS Power Rack and Pinion Steering

SCBS 2-Spoke Steering Wheel

SFAS Standard Duty Shock Absorbers

SGAS Rear Shock Absorbers

TADS DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

TBCS Compact Spare Tire

TBMS Tire Carrier Winch

WJKS 15X6.0 Styled Steel Wheels

XBSS Pickup Box

XFAS -35F Protection Anti-Freeze

YAAS Build To U.S. Mkt. Specifications

Z5AS GVW/Payload Rating

1AAS U.S. Dealer Retail

153S Zone 53-Minneapolis

CBAP Straight Back Bench Seat

DBBC All Manual Transmissions

DDX 5-Speed HD Manual Transmission

EAAC All Engines

EAFC DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

ERB DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

GRVP Left Manual Mirror

JHA Var Intermittent Windshield Wipers

MBJ Black Front Bumper

MDAP Front License Plate Bracket

PE8 DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE

RAAC All Radio Equipped Vehicles

RAB AM/FM Radio

RCDP 4 Speakers

SUA Tilt Steering Column

TAAC All Tires

TPF P205/75R15

BSW All Season Tires

YGBA 1 Additional Gallons of Gas

YGGA 9 Additional Gallons of Gas

Z01P Rear Spring Group I

Z65P Left Front Group XIV

Z84P Right Front Spring Group

XIII 5ALA Low Series Tracking

Its hard to tell from the photos, but I don't think I see any damage to the ring gear. How's the pinion? If the ring and pinion aren't trashed, maybe all you need is a set of spider gears. Those are the same for all ratios, and I'm sure I can scare up a set of spider gears for you once the snow melts.

I am delighted (!!!) to learn there are still high school auto shops!

The second gear image looks like it might show some damage to

the pinion gear, but hard to be certain. My vote is for the 3.55 swap,

and perch re-weld if it comes from a Cherokee. Good learning about

driveline angles. New perches are cheap, and I paid someone to weld

mine when I swapped in an XJ Chrysler 8.25. About $60 total as I recall.

Do you have a budget for this project? As you go along, please make

a list of parts you need (in addition to the axle), as many of us have spares

stashed away.

Lastly, I like your "flintstone" brakes! <G>

And welcome!

stashed away.

And welcome!

What he said :agree:

Also - I have a 3.55 comanche rear that has a bad pinion bearing. If you want the gears you can have them for free....but you'll need a new pinion bearing, and knowledge on setting the pinion (shim and crush sleeve calculations) which I do not (unfortunately) have.

Added plus: mine are not buried in snow!

I may just not see it but looks like the only broken item is the spider gear? if to just replace them from any d35 and no adjustments need to be done.

or just swap front and rear axles both from junk yard XJ or MJ so you get matching set. as for the perch welding don't worry to much about that once they are bolted in even a crappy weld job won't matter..the unbolts hold the axle in ...the welds would have to be so bad to matter..so don't.

or you could always order a gear set for the front and rear and just re gear the axles to say.4.10? I bet you could get deal on a gear set if you sell that fact its for school project and also learn installing gears it not to bad just takes time

Its hard to tell from the photos, but I don't think I see any damage to the ring gear. How's the pinion? If the ring and pinion aren't trashed, maybe all you need is a set of spider gears. Those are the same for all ratios, and I'm sure I can scare up a set of spider gears for you once the snow melts.

stashed away.

And welcome!

I may just not see it but looks like the only broken item is the spider gear? if to just replace them from any d35 and no adjustments need to be done.

or just swap front and rear axles both from junk yard XJ or MJ so you get matching set. as for the perch welding don't worry to much about that once they are bolted in even a crappy weld job won't matter..the unbolts hold the axle in ...the welds would have to be so bad to matter..so don't.

or you could always order a gear set for the front and rear and just re gear the axles to say.4.10? I bet you could get deal on a gear set if you sell that fact its for school project and also learn installing gears it not to bad just takes time

Both the pinion and ring gear are missing teeth, and two of the spider gears are missing teeth, and two are just plain missing (shattered) :rotf:

cheapest way to do it i think,

because i know school shops usually don't go out of the way and just order a crap ton of parts,

would be to go to a wrecking yard,

pull the pinion and carrier set,

and install into that axle,

if you do this remember

break the pinion nut torque first,

keep the shims for the pinion,

there should be a scribed number on the pinion which tells you how much u have to shim it if you need to re-shim

if u take apart the carrier... locktite!!

and have fun,

don't forget LOTS OF PICS

and start a build thread thats not in the tech section! :D

I think setting up gears in H.S. shop is definately something that should be taught or learned. Not sure that it is easier than swapping the complete rear end though. For the experienced probably, but for a first timer IDK. Good to know how to properly set up the gears, so i'd lean towards that direction.