Has anyone ever seen this concept before

JpComancheKid

My reply email from Chrysler heritage....

We do have an AMC concept vehicle in the Archives called a 'Thunderchief'

that was built by AMC before Chrysler purchased them in 1987. The vehicle

appears to be based off a Commanche with ground effect skirts, pick-up box

mounted spare, stylized rollbar, light bars, etc. It is not on display at

the Walter P. Chrysler Museum and there are no current plans to display

it. No photographs exist.

We do not have any information on the vehicle at the Archives and do not

really know who was involved at AMC or why.

Sorry we could not help.

Regards,

Bruce R. Thomas

Corporate Historian

Does anyone here live near the Chrysler museum? If so, I wonder if they would be willing to allow a representative of The Comanche Club to photograph the thing ... for OUR archives, if not for theirs.

Does anyone here live near the Chrysler museum? If so, I wonder if they would be willing to allow a representative of The Comanche Club to photograph the thing ... for OUR archives, if not for theirs.

"In the Archives" and "Not Currently on display"... more than certainly means NO WAY IN HELL are we going to get any pictures of it...

SW2

"In the Archives" and "Not Currently on display"... more than certainly means NO WAY IN HELL are we going to get any pictures of it...

SW2

No, no ... "Not currently on display" means the ordinary mortals who pay their money at the gate and walk in the door don't see it. The deal is to make a formal contact with the museum as a "journalist," representing the world-famous Comanche Club forum (and, of course, by extension the International MJ Preservation Society -- of which they won't have heard, but it sounds impressive as aitch-eee-double hockey sticks) and specifically ask to be allowed to come see that vehicle in the "archives" in order to do a web-based feature story on it. Do some advance work, and you might be able to get JP Magazine to express an interest in running the story, in which case you could then tell the museum that it's a feature for JP Magazine.

Well, look at this direct quote under the donations page:

"The Museum does not accept "long-term loans" or "deposits." The Museum only borrows vehicles and objects for specific purposes and limited terms."

I read this as they do not own the vehicles at all, they only borrow them and display the ones that reflect the heritage of the Chrysler (Pentastar) Corporation. That would seem to indicate that the vehicles are actually owned by other then the museum.

**OR**

It could mean they only borrow some items at certain times.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry FunnyCandyBarName, you missed it. We went on 4th of July weekend and gave Chrysler a sob story about how it was a piece of Americana and that it was their patriotic duty on our Nation's birthday to prove to this small but diverse and passionate group of AMERICANS that this marvel of function and beauty was not just an urban legend, but a real and tangible reminder of what our country was, and still is, capable of when we put our minds to building something great! :USAflag: jamminz.gifsoapbox.gif

Guess I'm a couple weeks late for my Patriotic Address, LOL.

Sorry FunnyCandyBarName, you missed it. We went on 4th of July weekend and gave Chrysler a sob story about how it was a piece of Americana and that it was their patriotic duty on our Nation's birthday to prove to this small but diverse and passionate group of AMERICANS that this marvel of function and beauty was not just an urban legend, but a real and tangible reminder of what our country was, and still is, capable of when we put our minds to building something great! :USAflag: jamminz.gifsoapbox.gif

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. How's come nobody made the announcement on here?

The Museum wasn't closed for the 4th of July, how Odd?

Well............did they let ya see it ?? :hmm: Don't leave us hanging.

Oh, yeah, forgot about that. Sure enough, we got to drive it! Since Pete couldn't make it, we let Jeepco drive it first because he has the most posts behind Pete. Well, unfortunately the drive was short lived. Pat got side swiped in the left rear quarter of the bed, but that was after he threw a rod and tore up the rear end. He threw the rod because the temp gauge wasn't working and blew out the rear because it was a Turdy-Five. He offered to put twin snowmobile engines in as a replacement, but they said no. :D

I got to sit in the seat and honk the horn. Chico thought he was taking pics to document everything but he only got of one pic before the batteries died. Unfortunately his thumb was in the way. ;)