• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Where does the starter go? I don't see a place for it in the bell housing.

Thanks,

Willy

The starter bulge is near the slave cylinder.

It comes in from the front too... ;) not through the bell housing.

• 2 months later...

Nothing new, just some pictures of more parts:

Not sure if my pedals in the 88 are going to work right for me(at least not without some work), so I grabbed these pedals from a 96 (96 pedals will bolt to the dual diaphragm booster, and my master without issue, and at $10 its hard to complain)

MJ87.jpg

Now I had already grabbed a clutch master/slave setup, but I found one at the junkyard that is a new replacement, so I decided it was a slightly better part, so once again for $10 I got something that should be a little better:

(the original one)

MJ90.jpg

(and the nice "new" one I grabbed today)

MJ91.jpg

The dual diaphragm booster out of the 01:

MJ89.jpg

This is the 8.25 that will be going in there at some point:

MJ88.jpg

And of course the heated leather seats of out a 01 XJ limited that will be installed:

freedom21.jpg

• 2 months later...

Not sure if my pedals in the 88 are going to work right for me(at least not without some work), so I grabbed these pedals from a 96 (96 pedals will bolt to the dual diaphragm booster, and my master without issue, and at $10 its hard to complain)

MJ87.jpg

Now I had already grabbed a clutch master/slave setup, but I found one at the junkyard that is a new replacement, so I decided it was a slightly better part, so once again for $10 I got something that should be a little better:

(the original one)

MJ90.jpg

(and the nice "new" one I grabbed today)

MJ91.jpg

The dual diaphragm booster out of the 01:

MJ89.jpg

This is the 8.25 that will be going in there at some point:

MJ88.jpg

And of course the heated leather seats of out a 01 XJ limited that will be installed:

freedom21.jpg

Ok so these are the engine mounts for a diesel XJ,

XJ_diesel_engine_mounts_sm.jpg

then here you can see that while the mounts are similar in design, they do not bolt in the same place, rather they set slighter further back in the engine bay, and utilize some different bolts.

MJ105.jpg

MJ104.jpg

Now from what I can see in the pictures of those mounts and from looking at my engine it looks like these mounts might share the engine side bolt pattern, if this is the case then I might be able to get real lucky and just have the motor boltin to the engine bay, boltup to the factory tranny support, and not have to build either of those.

If I am not so lucky(which history would seem to indicate that I am not), then I will not be able to use the engine side bracket, in which case using the XJ diesel motor mounts will probably still be better, they set further back and are almost necessary. It appears that trying to use the gasser XJ mounts will actually interfere with things like the AC compressor, Injection Pump, and Power steering. So right now the plan is to use diesel XJ mounts, and probably have to build my own engine side brackets.

Now something else has come up, if my ECU came from a vehicle with a SKIM(sentry key immobilizer module) then I will either need to get the calibration reset from my ECU, or get a SKIM and transponder key and have both the SKIM and the ECU reprogrammed via the DRBIII to match.

Ok, did a little bit of teardown and started looking at what it would take to get this 2500 header panel to fit.

MJ106.jpg

So as you can see the 2500 header fits back in a little bit:

MJ107.jpg

I measure 3.25" deep:

MJ108.jpg

And I measure 3.25" back from the leading edge of the hood. So basically the header is supposed to sit back flush against the front face of the "headlight bucket" so it looks like I will be trimming off that whole side piece where the fender bracket ties the fender to the "headlight bucket" with the ~.25" gap between the header panel and the hood I think that will be just about right.

MJ109.jpg

And semi naked:

MJ110.jpg

Ok so this is kinda academic since we should have our fenders and such soon from the groupbuy, but it looks like the 2500 fenders use the newer style upper header mount.

If you note this is a 97+ fender that I threw on for comparison:

MJ111.jpg

So here you can see the upper header mount and the stud on the 2500 header panel line up perfect.

MJ112.jpg

In these last two you can just barely see the stud and the stud hole on the 2500 front end, they do not appear to lineup correctly, though to be fair this fender needs trimming before the header panel will sit flush, and it is a little mangled up.

MJ113.jpg

MJ114.jpg

Started pulling the interior panels out of the MJ, ripped out the carpet tonight, more rust than I was expecting given the outside condition of the vehicle, guess it was that wet carpet syndrome that got to it.

Lucky none of it is through the body, and none of it is even soft, went around and tapped on all the rusty spots with welding hammer, all if it is good and solid, and basically appears just to be a heavily pitted surface rust.

So right now the plan is to wire brush everything with rust on it, then get some POR15 and coat everything well(after I make modifications to the floor for the newer seats to bolt in), then the POR15 will get covered with the sound deadening material.

Anyone have anything else to consider for rust abatement?

MJ115.jpg

Here you can see a VERY quick pass(not even 30 secs worth) of wire brush, compared to what it looked like before. I think the wire brush will work well on the surfaces I can get to, its the seam where I cannot get between, or the channel that I cannot get between, that worries me.

Of course, if this is as bad as it is after 22 years, another 22 years of equally bad rust wouldn't be the end of the world. Who knows, I somehow doubt I will still own the Jeep in 22 years(maybe, thats a long ways off)

MJ117.jpg

MJ118.jpg

I also found a flash suppressor under the carpet, LOL

(after I make modifications to the floor for the newer seats to bolt in),

Going to watch this one... I'd love to throw in a set of Prelude seats I have, but the Honda seats are way wide at the bottom. Jeep seat have that taper in them that makes finding replacements a PITA..

Get the "F" out of here......You did not....... :shake:

good thread :popcorn:

Good beer.

(after I make modifications to the floor for the newer seats to bolt in),

Going to watch this one... I'd love to throw in a set of Prelude seats I have, but the Honda seats are way wide at the bottom. Jeep seat have that taper in them that makes finding replacements a PITA..

Get the "F" out of here......You did not....... :shake:

I don't think what I do will really be relivant for using prelude seats, I am using 2001 XJ seats, so they need only have the different mounting points added.

And you doubt me? The one I found looks very similar to this, except that mine has 4 set screws.

5.56mm_Muzzle_Brake.lg.jpg

Ok did some more work, got the steering column, dash, and a few other things out of the way.

You can see where the front of the newer seat sits here:

MJ120.jpg

And so this is about where the front of the new seat will sit in the commanche, that little bit of bracket will be cutoff and the Xj seat bracket welded a little further back than that existing one. Basically the new XJ seat will sit exactly where the XJ seat would sit in a 97+ XJ.

MJ119.jpg

Dash pulled, engine next so I can get the heater box out easier:

MJ121.jpg

My dog helping:

MJ122.jpg

Seat forward:

MJ123.jpg

Seat back:

MJ124.jpg

Still some space to store stuff when the seat is back:

MJ125.jpg

Pulled the windshield trim, need to buy an extractor for the windshield so I can remove it. I will then cut the little studs off that hold on the old style trim so a newer rubber seal can be used. My neighbor works for safelight so I can get him to reinstall it for me for the cost of beer. This will allow me to weld some of the mounts that the newer dash/steering column needs easier with the windshield out

MJ126.jpg

Cut the floor brackets out of the donor Jeep and the MJ. The XJ brackets are welded and spot welded in a few places

You will need to notch the XJ bracket to fit over the hump in the MJs floor. I have mine just screwed in right now and they hold ok until I get them welded in fully.

I can snap a few picks of mine if you would like me too. The seats are a real treat to fit in.

Cut the floor brackets out of the donor Jeep and the MJ. The XJ brackets are welded and spot welded in a few places

Didn't I just say that? :waving:

glad to hear about the windshield trim bit. I have been trying to figure out if I can switch to the new style trim eventually.

Alot of people choose to upgrade to the seal type when they get a new windshield. Costs about $20 more for the seal.

• 2 weeks later...

MJ127.jpg

I will use one switch for the heated mirrors, one for my foglights, probably leaving 2 extra light switches for accessory lighting. If my diesel ECU has a high idle option I may choose to enable that and get the stock high idle switch.

• 4 weeks later...
Well found the thread, looks like you have been busy. Nice build. Now that i got an example to copy :popcorn: So how exactly are you gonna use the factory harness with the CRD?

Connect the pins that would otherwise lead to the 4L ECU to the CRD engine, then only a half dozen extra bits of wiring need to be run around. Things like 12V switched, starter signal, etc, all just need to be spliced in from the XJ wiring.