Quickor Front Performance Swaybar Install

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm a suspension freak. I spent years racing BMW's and my daily drivers are highly modified BMW's. So suspension tuning and handling is something that I am very anal about.

That being said, I HATE it when I make the switch from by BMW to the Jeeps. It's a total different driving experience (and expected) but I am always looking for ways to improve the handling on the Jeeps; especially since the smallest Jeep we own is at 3.5" and 33" tires.

I've tired various products in the past and with most have gotten good results. With the Jeep's it's a fine line between good road handling and still being able to perform well off road on the trails. Some products will improve the on road characteristics but hinder the off road performance greatly. So some things I'd like to add to the Jeeps I simply haven't due to the fact we wheel our Jeeps quite often.

One thing I've really been wanting to add is an upgraded performance swaybar. I know from experience with the BMW's how much of an improvement a set of swaybars helps and wanted to see if they would do the same on the Jeeps. I had done my research on them and found that the only company that makes an upgraded swaybar for the Jeep XJ/MJ was Addco. I had planned on purchasing one but than was contacted by a friend out of Canada that had another option for me.

I ended up picking up a Quickor Performance front swaybar kit. A bit of the history behind Quickor. Quickor Eng. was founded by Glenn Risburger back in the early 80's in Canada. They started off making performance swaybar kits for track cars. Glen than sold Quickor to Warn Ind. and went to work for their truck division in 1986. Glenn and Quickor parted company in mid 1990. Warn kept the ground effects and swaybar portion of the company and the bushing side was sold to Marcore of Canada. Warn than basically ran Quickor into the dump and Quickor filled bankruptcy in the late 1990's and the company today no longer exist.

Why the history lesson? Well Quickor worked with the factory Mopar Jeep team in the mid 80's and early 90's on the MJ racing teams. The Quickor bar for the Jeep XJ/MJ's was designed directly for the MJ race team, tested by them and than put on the market for the general consumer.

So enough with the history lesson (if you even carried anyways), and onto the install. We decided to put the swaybar on Rebecca's XJ as it seems to be the "family car" and we drive it the most. Her XJ is running a RE 3.5" lift with 33" Maxxis Bighorns and a lot more other goodies. The handling is not bad with the low center of gravity and the addition of a tracbar brace. However I wanted to stiffen up the front even a bit more.

Here is a before shot of the factory front swaybar. We are running RE Gen.2 quick disco's with it as well.

100_1923.jpg

Here is a shot of the Quickor Performance front swaybar kit. It comes with the bar, poly bushings/mounts, and swaybar end links.

100_1924.jpg

Here are a few shots of the Quickor bar compared to the factory OEM bar. Notice the size difference. The Quickor bar is also solid stock and weighs a ton more than the factory OEM bar does.

100_1925.jpg

100_1926.jpg

100_1927.jpg

Next was to install the poly bushings and mounts for the bar. I was happy with the way the bushing fit snuggly around the bar and the mount is also very beefy.

100_1928.jpg

And a shot of the bar installed. We also fitted the RE Gen.2 swaybar disco's on. They fit nicely with the bar.

100_1929.jpg

Final thoughts? WHY HADN'T I DONE THIS SOONER!?! It's amazing with the difference of the new bar. Steering feels very responsive now and the front does not roll like it used to in the corner. Nice thing is the bar will not hinder any off road performance as we disconnect it anyways. It was well worth the money I have in the bar. Install was simple and only took an hour and that was with taking pictures. I'd recommend an upgraded performance swaybar to anyways looking for less body roll with lifted rigs or for you street guys who like to take corner at higher speeds.

Nice write up and history lesson.

That wouldn't be the one that was on ebay just recently was it. I was considering it but did not know enough about them.

Missed another great deal due to my ignorance. :dunce:

always wondered,, what keeps the swap bar up when its disconnected??

I can't seem to spot it in the photos... but the RE generation II disconnects come with little "studs" that you bolt on the inner fender well and then when disconnecting the sway bar you swing it up to the stud and pin it in place. One of the cleanest and easiest disco's I've had.

- Ben

I was bidding on one on Ebay awhile back I was the highest bidded at $35, but someone swiped it from me in the last few seconds for something like $36 damn! Then another one pop up soon after that one ended. I just figured someone buddies was making sure it didn't sell cheap.

• 2 weeks later...
always wondered,, what keeps the swap bar up when its disconnected??

I can't seem to spot it in the photos... but the RE generation II disconnects come with little "studs" that you bolt on the inner fender well and then when disconnecting the sway bar you swing it up to the stud and pin it in place. One of the cleanest and easiest disco's I've had.

- Ben

OR, you can go the redneck way like me, 2 bungee cords running from bumper (in my case brush guard) underneath and connected to the swaybar holding it up in place.

So have you had a chance to push it hard? Do you have understeer or oversteer? Or is it neutral?

My DD XJ is neutral right now. I would probably need to put my rear sway bar back on because a larger front bar would induce understeer.

Right now my 3" lifted XJ is very neutral and easy to control when cornering very hard. It does a nice even 4 wheel drift when exiting under heavy throttle when in fulltime. In parttime it has very slight amount of understeer when exiting because of the lack of power applied to the front tires.

This is my set-up on my DD. Up front it has ZJ up country springs, stock swaybar/bushings/links, 1.25" of spacer, Moog problem solver control arm bushings(stiffer) and Ram 1500 front shocks.

The rear is original stock springs with 9 year old RE AAL that still give 3" of lift, a limited slip, stock shocks with raised mounts and long MJ bumpstops.

The tires are 31x10.5-15 BFG AT KO tires.

So how is your handling now and how the rest of your suspension set-up.

:cheers:

A while back I picked up on Ebay a new Chryco OEM sway bar for a V8 ZJ. It's 1-1/4" in diameter and made a world of difference controlling body roll with the camper shell I haul around. The seller Tapco had a small number of them on sale for $17.95 w. $11 shipping and it included the bushings. I grabbed one. :D Unfortunately it wasn't the pretty blue color though....... :cheers:

Well I was so happy with the results from the front bar I splurged and ended up ordering the XJ rear bar as well from Motion. Rebecca's XJ never had a rear bar on it since we got it and it's always been a bit "rear end loose". Figured it would help tighten up the suspension on the road.

http://motionoffroad.com/catalog/index. ... rers_id=69

Here's a pic of the bar. Will post install pics when I've got some free time to get it installed.

100_1931.jpg

Well I was so happy with the results from the front bar I splurged and ended up ordering the XJ rear bar as well from Motion. Rebecca's XJ never had a rear bar on it since we got it and it's always been a bit "rear end loose". Figured it would help tighten up the suspension on the road.

Here's a pic of the bar. Will post install pics when I've got some free time to get it installed.

Now if you could only find a way to adapt it to the MJ rear end..........

• 1 year later...

Make sure you disconnect them if you take your truck off the pavement. I bent my swaybar links into my front springs on my first trip with the new swaybar installed! I also had a set of JKS swaybar disconnects installed, maybe there was too much play. I hooked my factory swaybar back up and haven't bent it yet?

The blue sure did look cool. Maybe I will find a way to fix the ends one of these days. :dunno: