Fuel Sending Unit

The fuel pump and sending unit are an assembly that is all in one.

EDIT: I should have been a little more informative. You can remove the sending unit from the pump. What I meant was the only way to get a new sender unit is to buy the complete assembly from Auto Zone or whatever FLAP is in your area for 90 -100 bucks. Because as stated below, the sender is no longer available by itself.

No parts store, including Jeep dealers, can order parts for this model. Jeep has discontinued support for most/many items. I have a part # for just the unit just wondering if anyone knows who might stock.

I think you'll have to call the JEEP dealers and see if they might have that in their on the shelf parts stock. Late model salvage yards use PRO 1 to locate various thing that may be anywhere in the US or Canada.

You might also find that on E-bay from someone who may have bought out obsolete Jeep stock at an auction. But you will need a crossover number to use another model sender.

Otherwise you'll have to buy the hole shebang or live without a working gas gauge. :redX:

http://www.autozone.com/R,APP168903/veh ... Detail.htm

You can not buy the MJ sending unit from any JEEP dealer in the USA. You can like brig says google junkyards that can use a database to locate a used one. You can buy an XJ one but will have to modify a bit to fit your tank. That one from Autozone will not work in your tank without modification. A lot of people on this board have bought it and need to bend/reweld certain parts to get it not to hit the in-tank pan. I have not done it personally but if you run a search in the TECH section a lot of posts have come up on the subject.

If you do decide to buy that sender you can get it on Ebay for cheaper.

To answer your question, No one stocks that part new. It does not excist.

yeahthat.gif

chicofuentes0224 - said it all, Chrysler dis-continued making the sending unit in 1992 or '93, they don't exist and any shelf / parts bin / warehouse.

j88p - I bet your problem is the supply tubes have rotted off the sending unit, this is a very common problem.

I have re-build a couple with this problem, I just sent one out last week and I'm waiting for the "core" to come back to re-built that one. When that one comes in, and I have the time, I'll re-build that one and have it available.

Also, you need to make sure your fuel pump is the correct pump, there is a difference between the 2.5 and the 4.0 engine. The pumps you can buy thru the auto parts store, and most of the pumps I've see are the Bosch pumps. If you do replace the sending unit / pump / fuel level, make sure you install a new sock (pick up filter) and a new O-ring at the tank lock.

I'll see if I can find the post from just a couple weeks ago -

Here's The Topic

How come this subject comes up ever month :hmm:

j88p - I bet your problem is the supply tubes have rotted off the sending unit, this is a very common problem.

Explanation, please?

The sending unit is a float on an arm, and two push-on spade connectors. There are no supply tubes or any other kind of tubes on the sending unit.

Are you perhaps referring to the fuel pump?

This stuff pisses me off. How can they stop producing parts for a vehicle that there is still many of on the road. Then they just assign the same part number to a part that doesnt work. :headpop: And some counter drown says "Well thats the right part. I don't know why it doesnt work. :mad:

Explanation, please?

The sending unit is a float on an arm, and two push-on spade connectors. There are no supply tubes or any other kind of tubes on the sending unit.

Are you perhaps referring to the fuel pump?

True, The whole unit is referred as = 'Fuel Pump/Gauge Sender Unit'

The Sender unit consists of the Fuel Pump, Gauge unit and Gauge Float, and the outlet / return supply lines. The gauge unit has one wire, body common ground to the bracket, the fuel pump has two wires, one 12vdc supply, one ground back to the mounting bolt/common ground on the bracket. Only 2 wires, of different gauge, enter the gas tank, the common ground is soldered to the top of the unit mount, O-ring and lock ring "holding" the Fuel pump/gauge sender unit in place.

So to be brief, one calls this "item" the "Sending Unit".

Not much different that calling the "Engine Speed Sensor" a CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor) Same item, same function, one common reference to the item.

The Original Poster wrote -

Need replacement unit for 88 comanche, looked on the net and many junk yards with no luck. Any Ideas??
{Under Topic - 'Fuel Sending Unit'}

And with the lack of information supplied, I assumed that he was referring to the 'Fuel Pump/Gauge Sender Unit' and I assumed that he had a problem with the supply/return tubes rodding and leaking, which has been my experience's here, in the heavy used salt belt. Also has been the problem of couple other members here, that I sent out re-paired units too.

If the original poster has detailed his exact problem, I would have answered in a different manner, such as he was having problems with the fuel gauge reading aways full, or the fuel pump was not providing proper fuel pressure, or intermediate running/stalling, and Would have referred him to check the ballast resistor perhaps.

So, I guest I should have waited for further information on the problem, or have asked for additional details on what the original poster's problem was, and directed him to provide more details, before I installed my statement that you requested me for an explanation.

True, The whole unit is referred as = 'Fuel Pump/Gauge Sender Unit'

The Sender unit consists of the Fuel Pump, Gauge unit and Gauge Float, and the outlet / return supply lines. The gauge unit has one wire, body common ground to the bracket, the fuel pump has two wires, one 12vdc supply, one ground back to the mounting bolt/common ground on the bracket. Only 2 wires, of different gauge, enter the gas tank, the common ground is soldered to the top of the unit mount, O-ring and lock ring "holding" the Fuel pump/gauge sender unit in place.

So to be brief, one calls this "item" the "Sending Unit".

Not much different that calling the "Engine Speed Sensor" a CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor) Same item, same function, one common reference to the item.

Well, to pick nits a bit, the CPS, by whatever name, is only one part and fulfills only one functions. The 'Fuel Pump/Gauge Sender Unit' is two parts -- a fuel pump, and a gauge sending unit, that fulfill two totally different functions. And, since the two parts are (or "were") sold separately, it's extremely confusing to refer to a fuel pump as a sending unit.

I can buy an MJ fuel pump down the road at Auto Zone. It comes with no gauge sending unit, and they can't supply a sending unit -- with or without a fuel pump attached.

• 11 years later...
32 minutes ago, Ryno said:

That's interesting but they do not look right. 

1 hour ago, Ryno said:

They're mislisted.  First one crosses to a P/N for a 91+ XJ, other one is definitely a Renix XJ.

On 6/20/2019 at 10:27 PM, DirtyComanche said:

They're mislisted.  First one crosses to a P/N for a 91+ XJ, other one is definitely a Renix XJ.

Bummer.... thanks for the correction

On 6/20/2019 at 10:17 PM, kansashogan said:

I have one I pulled from an '86 with a 2.5. No idea if it's any good. Let me check tomorrow and see if it looks like it's worth selling.

I`d appreciate it!
Let me know if you do decide to sell it