$400 Pioneer (Wilbur)

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rubber in the driver side mount has disappeared. It's just a bolt inside the metal hoop!

New mount is sitting on the driver seat as of 10 minutes ago. Will install it tomorrow. Would have done it tonight, but my daughter wants to go to the drive-in movie theatre for opening weekend. Monsters vs. Aliens and Hotel for Dogs. Woohoo...

Yeah, that last word was sarcastic.

JeepSkool took it's toll today. Brakes went out, which I found out after climbing a hill, while on the way back down. Pedal to the floor and no brakes that I could tell. Turned out my rear brake shoes had so much material ground off by the sand again they needed adjusted. So I got that fixed. My exhaust from the down pipe on back fell off, got it back on before going home, busted a front axle. U joint grenaded on the rock pile and all 4 ears broke of the two ends of the axle. Gotta love the Aussie; kept right on wheeling the rest of the day. Lost the vacuum lines off the front axle twice, but I'll be swapping in shaft with the bigger U joints, which are all single piece shafts, so that won't matter. Mechanical fan ate up most of my fan shroud because of the bad engine mount. Eventually I tied it down to keep it from spinning before it was through the shroud and would start on the radiator. I then hooked the electric fan back up to take care of cooling.

I also got my new rear axle.

Replaced the other bad engine mount today, and made a very careful inspection of the tranny mount, but it's fine. Accelerated a bit fast and the %#&$ fan hit the shroud again. Parked the truck against my tree and pulled the throttle with the hood open and sure enough, the engine flexes some through the mounts, as is expected, AND pulls forward. Decided to treat symptoms and took the shroud out. I then did a pedal to the floor burn out in my alley (nice track, even with 33" tires), then parked it and popped the hood to see if the fan hit anything.

THE ^%#&@ THING ATE THE #^@*$ RADIATOR!!!!!

For the fan to hit the radiator the engine has to shift forward almost 2"!

Two new engine mounts and the tranny mount is fine. What gives? Unless someone can tell me the cause, or come up with a better solution I'm going to run a chain from the block to the frame, allowing the engine to move in any direction except forward.

Replaced the other bad engine mount today, and made a very careful inspection of the tranny mount, but it's fine. Accelerated a bit fast and the %#&$ fan hit the shroud again. Parked the truck against my tree and pulled the throttle with the hood open and sure enough, the engine flexes some through the mounts, as is expected, AND pulls forward. Decided to treat symptoms and took the shroud out. I then did a pedal to the floor burn out in my alley (nice track, even with 33" tires), then parked it and popped the hood to see if the fan hit anything.

THE ^%#&@ THING ATE THE #^@*$ RADIATOR!!!!!

For the fan to hit the radiator the engine has to shift forward almost 2"!

Two new engine mounts and the tranny mount is fine. What gives? Unless someone can tell me the cause, or come up with a better solution I'm going to run a chain from the block to the frame, allowing the engine to move in any direction except forward.

Have you tryed the Bomb Proof mounts? those were built for this reason even do an engine lift to help with drive angles :thumbsup:

http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/mounta ... p-149.html

Just looked at their web site. They have a choice between major engine vibrations and paying an arm and a leg. I think I'll stick with the stock style mounts and a piece of chain.

so...are your bolts in the frame mounts broken?

or was the radiator secured properly? IIRC you had a front end collision, is it possible that the radiator is not situated in it's right location?

The engine mounts, bolts to the frame and engine brackets are all fine. The radiator as far as I can tell is in the correct location. I have not taken a tape measure to it, but I believe I have about 2" between the fan and the radiator. The fan hitting the shroud started recently, but I can't remember if it was before, after or at the same time as the swap to the 33s. Trying to track down the cause I found first one, then the other busted engine mounts. But the motor flexes the rubber in the new mounts enough that a pedal to the floor burn out shifts the engine far enough forward for the fan to hit the radiator now that I took the shroud off.

The engine mounts, bolts to the frame and engine brackets are all fine. The radiator as far as I can tell is in the correct location. I have not taken a tape measure to it, but I believe I have about 2" between the fan and the radiator. The fan hitting the shroud started recently, but I can't remember if it was before, after or at the same time as the swap to the 33s. Trying to track down the cause I found first one, then the other busted engine mounts. But the motor flexes the rubber in the new mounts enough that a pedal to the floor burn out shifts the engine far enough forward for the fan to hit the radiator now that I took the shroud off.

are you sure it's the motor moving and not a bad bearing on the fan clutch pulley?

-Pat

I watched the motor flex forward, passenger side down, driver side up pulling the throttle under the hood while in drive, parked against my tree. Then it moved back some as a tire lost traction and started digging a hole in my lawn.

are you sure it's the motor moving and not a bad bearing on the fan clutch pulley?

-Pat

I was leaning towards this as well. The motor is going to move a little as per design of the rubber mounts. If it was a solid mount and didn't allow flex, it would start shearing bolts. I would think that even if the motor mounts were toast, that the engine would still not move forward enough to hit the radiator. Since it didn't hit it when the shroud was on, I feel that the fan was moving out and stoping on the shroud, which gave it enough resistance to stop forward movement. You removed the shroud, and it let it move further out to hit the radiator. I'd locate another fan and try it before spending cash elsewhere. Just my thoughts, but I live by the KISS principle.

:cheers:

-Pat

I was leaning towards this as well. The motor is going to move a little as per design of the rubber mounts. If it was a solid mount and didn't allow flex, it would start shearing bolts. I would think that even if the motor mounts were toast, that the engine would still not move forward enough to hit the radiator. Since it didn't hit it when the shroud was on, I feel that the fan was moving out and stoping on the shroud, which gave it enough resistance to stop forward movement. You removed the shroud, and it let it move further out to hit the radiator. I'd locate another fan and try it before spending cash elsewhere. Just my thoughts, but I live by the KISS principle.

it's not the fan that's the issue.

it's the bearing in the a/c bracket which holds the fan spindle and pulley that would have gone bad, if that's the situation. other than that, that's the scenario I would anticipate

it's not the fan that's the issue.

it's the bearing in the a/c bracket which holds the fan spindle and pulley that would have gone bad, if that's the situation. other than that, that's the scenario I would anticipate

We're on the same page. :thumbsup: I have a habit of referring to the whole assemble as the fan. My bad. I should have been more specific. I had a similar problem and ended up changing the whole assemble.

do what I did in the mean time just pull the fan, add nuts for the empty space and run a electric fan.

half-arsing the problem only leads to more problems down the line.

Not really a half A$$ job I ran mine like this all summer cause it was doing the same thing. 1hp off taking the clutch fan off and no worry of sucking water in a hole as you can control the electric fan, never had an overheating issuse either.