$400 Pioneer (Wilbur)

Christmas presents are different, even if to myself.

Plan is I will be in Canada from 12/26 through 1/3. I could swing by either the 26th (boxing day) around 9:30 am, or 1/3 (Saturday) around 4 pm or so. May have a 12 year old and/or an 18 year old with me. If both I will be driving the Suburban or it's replacement (wanna buy a 94 Suburban?), if one or none the MJ.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a new wind shield!

No more cracks in front of driver and passenger and bottom of glass

No more 100+ stone chips

No more headlight glare from 21 years and 136,000 miles of scratches on the surface

But no pics either as I've been working dark to dark lately.

:clapping: jamminz.gif :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

:fs1: :headpop: :mad: :wall: :grrrr: :fs2: :(

Yesterday on the way back from the grocery store an S10 with what sounded like a 350 and glass pack passed me at about 100mph bouncing off the rev limiter...

...and kicked a pebble up from the road and into my wind shield.

Less than 50 miles on my new wind shield and I have a stone chip already!!!

:fs1: :headpop: :mad: :wall: :grrrr: :fs2: :(

Yesterday on the way back from the grocery store an S10 with what sounded like a 350 and glass pack passed me at about 100mph bouncing off the rev limiter...

...and kicked a pebble up from the road and into my wind shield.

Less than 50 miles on my new wind shield and I have a stone chip already!!!

shoulda followed him, and gotten his insurance...idk about there, but round here, if you chip a window, you're the one to pay.

In Ohio, pebbles kicked up from the road are considered "unforeseen circumstances", what used to be called an "act of God".

Therefore nobody is responsible and your own insurance will cover it if you have comprehensive coverage.

I have 0 deductible comprehensive, but don't know if the ins. co. would complain about fixing a wind shield they just paid for less than 2 weeks ago. Too many claims and they won't let me have my 0 deductible any more.

At the Fall Crawl, Jeepcomj suggested bobbing the bed as an alternate way to get rid of most of my damage from both an accident (driver side) and the tubes at Badlands (passenger side). Played around with Gimp for a bit and decided I don't like the look:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after it sitting in my yard for like a month I finally put the new tank on. $50, not a speck of rust and the sender unit came with it! I thought my old tank had been leaking near the top and I was right. The rubber grommets around both vents had rotted away, allowing gas to spill out the top. Hopefully this tank is better.

I also decided to use the sender unit that came with this tank, so I switched the pumps over (why do they ALL seem to come with a 4 cylinder pump?), but now I have to get used to the new sender. I do know with the short arm, anything over 3/4 full will read full, but empty will hopefully read empty. My old one full read a bit more than, but after driving 5 days with the low fuel light on and the gauge AT empty, the tank still had 5 gallons of gas in it...

And sorry, no pics. Forgot to take the camera to work.

Well, I get to take the fuel pump assembly out again. My pump bought in June is going bad already. Just got back from Advance to buy a new one. Tomorrow it's going in, then the old pump goes back to the store for a full refund. I'm going to switch my old sending unit over to the new assembly also, as it works better with the longer arm. The tank should be about half empty, but the gauge still reads full because of the short arm on the sending unit.

Considering I'm headed to Canada early Boxing day, I don't have much choice but hope for the best. There is no way the current fuel pump is going to make it. Or keep up with Detroit traffic for that matter.

But as much as I've messed with the fuel tank and related components, it's no big deal any more. I've come to the conclusion that owning a 21 year old Jeep means fixing something at least weekly, and at least this is a quick fix.

Old pump could barely keep me going 45 uphill on the freeway before I found time to swap the new pump in. Right of the get-go it is as loud as the old one, and not pumping enough fuel to keep up with wot redline. :mad: Must have been a dud.

Can't get another replacement until after I leave for Canada. I guess I'll pick one up somewhere on the way and hopefully make it to my destination to change it as I really don't want to to it out in the cold in a rest area.

Old pump could barely keep me going 45 uphill on the freeway before I found time to swap the new pump in. Right of the get-go it is as loud as the old one, and not pumping enough fuel to keep up with wot redline. :mad: Must have been a dud.

Can't get another replacement until after I leave for Canada. I guess I'll pick one up somewhere on the way and hopefully make it to my destination to change it as I really don't want to to it out in the cold in a rest area.

it seriously cannot be the fuel pump this many times :nuts: . how's your fuel pump regulator, or your ballast resistor, fuel pump relay, or fuse?

Original pump lasted 21 years and 126,000 miles. Replacement pump lasted 7 months and 11,000 miles. New replacement is a dud and so loud I can hear it from 50 feet away. It does -for the time being- allow me to do 75 on the highway, just can't put the pedal to the floor as it starts to buck and surge around 55-60 and can't make it to the shift point at 65. Let off the gas a bit to allow the transmission to upshift and it's okay. But being this loud I expect it to get worse over time and I have a 350 mile drive ahead of me day after tomorrow.

Oh, and it's an 87. No ballast resistor. Relay is good, fuse is good, (see through) filter is clean. Regulator not tested, but truck was running perfectly fine when the pump was quiet.

Original pump lasted 21 years and 126,000 miles. Replacement pump lasted 7 months and 11,000 miles. New replacement is a dud and so loud I can hear it from 50 feet away. It does -for the time being- allow me to do 75 on the highway, just can't put the pedal to the floor as it starts to buck and surge around 55-60 and can't make it to the shift point at 65. Let off the gas a bit to allow the transmission to upshift and it's okay. But being this loud I expect it to get worse over time and I have a 350 mile drive ahead of me day after tomorrow.

Oh, and it's an 87. No ballast resistor. Relay is good, fuse is good, (see through) filter is clean. Regulator not tested, but truck was running perfectly fine when the pump was quiet.

ah. my 87 did have a ballast resistor when I got it...though I also found the factory bypass wire for it too.

• 2 weeks later...

My 1.25" wheel spacers were here when I got back from Canada, but they had a few issues:

1-no lug nuts

2-one stud completely fubarred from someone using an impact ratchet on a cross-threaded lug nut :nuts:

Still, what can you expect buying a used set for $50 including shipping.

Took me 30 miles of driving store to store only to fail at finding lug nuts that would work. They were all too tall. Then I realized the lug nuts I had left from the front wheels of my F100 might work. Sure enough... jamminz.gif

On to the stud: No press, and beating the stud out like the broken one on the truck didn't work, so I put the spacer in my toaster over at 500 degrees for an hour. A few good whacks with a BFH and a burn blister later it was out. $2.12, a washer, a lug nut, breaker bar with extension, crow bar and liberal amounts of tranny fluid later I had a new stud in. :clapping:

So today I finally installed them. They make the rear wheels look almost the same as the front, and a lot better than stock. I then got the forklift and started lifting a front tire (after removing my quick discos). I got off the fork lift a few times to make sure the MJ was still firmly planted and not getting tippy, because even just seeing the truck from outside it it seemed like it might go over. I can only imagine what it would feel like from inside. When I finally got it up to where the rear wheel wanted to start lifting the opposite side rear bumper corner was only about 4" off the ground. Measuring from the floor to the bottom corner of the lifted front wheel is 27.5", or 3.5" more than I had. I think all four corners are limited by either fully compressed or fully extended shocks, and my stuffed rear tire is still 1/8" away from rubbing the inside of the fender. Extended rear tire looks funny, almost completely sitting beside the truck. 8)

I'm happy with the flex, the spacers doing what I thought they would (keeping the tires off the inside fender walls) , and adding a bit of stability as a bonus.

Sorry, no pictures as I left my camera at home. :doh: I will take some when the weather gets a bit nicer outside. Looking at the flexed out axles from the front truly looks awe inspiring.

Now just an Aussie in the front (income tax return) and I should be good to wheel again this year.

Other planned projects for 09: custom rear bumper and rocker guards (although it is really a bit late for them).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Note to self: Parking lamp/turn signal sockets interchange with 1978 Ford LTD, Motormite/Dorman part number 84716. Splice black to black, brown to blue, blue to brown or gray/black depending on left or right hand side.

Well, I took the idler pulley out of the Comanche to fix the Cherokee, then after dropping off my daughter and a friend at the movie theatre I went to TSC and bought a new bearing. They are not the cheapest place (these same bearing are available for <$2 mail order), but $6.29 for a bearing still beats $21.99 for a pulley.

So tomorrow I should have 2 working vehicles again.