$400 Pioneer (Wilbur)

Edit to add some useful info:
rear shocks:
Monroe 59358 15-25 (T100 rear?)
Gabriel 61582 14.95-24.98 (93-98 T100 rear)
Gabriel 58617 16.24-27.37 (F150/F450 front)
Gabriel G63692 16.30-27.58 (F150/F450 front)

Front shocks:
Gabriel #81440 14.625-24.625

Oil seal for single piece shaft in disconnect housing:
NOS (Napa Oil Seal) 11771 (Superseded by 11782) or 11800 (better and cheaper).

Timken/National 40576S?

Serpentine belt for (Renix) alternator relocation:
770K6 (77.0", 6 ribs).

Rear output seal:
Timken/Mational 4370N. NOT 2506! 2506 is for Dodge applications.

Rear brake hoses:

1997 Jeep Wrangler, 23.5" axle tube to hard line.

1995 Dodge Dakota, 21.75" axle tube to hard line.

Xena's rear disk brake hoses (Duralast):

77760 (H38620)

77761 (H38621)

Now back to the original post:
This is what I started with. Paid $400 for it, engine ran, 4wd worked, clean title, and it was drivable,
2b87173806ea22d6f0cbbe0fed1be009.jpg

Here it is in the shop at work, getting ready to work on it. Yes, it's a wood shop, but it has a concrete floor and is heated. Better than on a gravel driveway in the snow.
25e55bc34989e027391a17775b488c8a.jpg

And after I have removed all the damaged parts from the front of the truck:
3dbf677b642f3ac2e996edbc77288c99.jpg

This is the new (to me) header panel assembly that is going on.
23fb794b625e48a42bdc8e0c4c3cbf94.jpg

A quick test to make sure the lights work the way they are supposed to.
f387d56e5926efe0e3d41e578eada6f3.jpg

Got it on.
c708a3820a9cde3aba842e5e357acc9d.jpg

With the lower valance reinstalled and the license plate zip tied.
f6b2f8b1ccded7900edb366231a043f8.jpg

That pretty much concludes the first day I seriously worked on it.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Work day 2.

Went to Davey's Jeeps and got a new driver's side fender as well as a (green!) bumper.

This is what I started off with today:

fender

bumper

and bracket (with horn attached)

Header assembly had to come off again to get the fender off.

The new fender and that bracket are on.

It IS grey. Just a different shade. I guess I have a Cherokee Sport now :D

And with the bumper installed.

Header assembly back in place.

And back out into the cold.

I drove around like this for a while, with the total cost now at $560.

Did most of a tune-up: Spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and button.

Since then I have also replaced most of the rear brake line, and other miscellaneous brake parts, as well as lower control arm, track bar and track bar bracket. Also put on a CB antenna where the radio antenna is supposed to go, but the radio has not been installed yet. More pictures on that later.

At the moment I'm at $710 plus probably another $100 in little parts, so let's call the total $800. Part of the last $150 still has to be installed, though.

At the moment I'm at $710 plus probably another $100 in little parts, so let's call the total $800. Part of the last $150 still has to be installed, though.

See, that's how it all starts. Couple bucks here, couple bucks there. Next thing you know your 8-10k in the hole and still not done. :D

Nice job so far. :thumbsup:

Did some playing with the lca this afternoon. Pressed new bushings into the one the bushings fell out of. One was tight, the other I could pop out with my fingers. Soooo, lca went into the trash. I then put the new bushings in a spare lca, and installed it.

Test drive to the grocery store and back, replaced ds front axle u-joint and ds lca since last death wobble occurrence and DW *seems* to be gone, bit one 20 mile jog on the freeway is not conclusive. Also still going to replace bushing in the other lca.

On a side note, I ran into the PO at a local pub, and he's glad I'm fixing it up. He bought it less than a year ago and put about 2000 miles on it before he wrecked it. Said he paid $1200 for it (but then, it wasn't wrecked when he bough it).

No license, so he bought a motorcycle. Figures if they try to pull him over he can outrun them. I figure with his DUI record he won't have to worry about being pulled over. Better worry about getting a ride in a Hearse. :nuts:

Nice looking Rig man..:cheers:

hows the inside and the rest of the outside of it?

for the CB...I bought a adaptor that able's my CB antenna to be used as my radio antenna aswell.. Check your local truck stop/CB shop.... :chillin:

It's a 100 footer....

There are rust spots everywhere, including a large hole rotted through the bed side. Driver's fender is a different shade of gray, header panel is white, bumper is hunter green and passenger fender will be teal :D

Interior is black, but seats are shot, headliner is hanging down and carpet is, well, 21 years old. Carpet might be okay with a good cleaning, but the seats need reupholstered. In the meanwhile I might just duck tape them and throw a cover over them. Headliner will come out soon to take a look at. Might just be able to glue the fabric back to the backing.

It will eventually get painted, but not any time soon.

In the process of wire brushing the rust off the new gas tank, I found out it was made in Canada, but Spectra Premium. Those letters appeared out of nowehere, but are quite clearly readable now.

I should have it finished tomorrow, and will post pictures before and after. Then coat it with Ospho (tomorrow?), rustoleum primer(Sunday) and rustoleum paint(Monday?).

So ii doesn't rain for the next few days, the new tank could go on as early as Tuesday.

After that I'll clean up the swiss cheese that's attempting to hold the fuel now, to see if it is salvageable for a spare.

Some time this weekend I may also replace the bushing in the other LCA and possibly replace the ps fender.

Gas tank is all ready to go in. Just got to wait for the rain to stop and the driveway to dry up.

This is what I started with:

This is what it looked like after I got done with a wire brush mounted on my angle grinder:

And after treating the rust that wouldn't come off:

Today it's been raining, but expecting it I moved the tank inside last night. This afternoon I continued in my basement.

Have half the tank covered in primer:

And it's finally ready to go in:

I also picked up two new bushings for the other lca today, which I will press in tomorrow, as well as a valve cover gasket.

When it quits raining and the driveway dries out the gas tank is going in. I should also be able to find time to clean the valve cover this week; hopefully that will fix my oil leak. I may even be able to replace the ps lca, and get the ps fender installed.

In the process of taking the old gas tank out, noticed the rear U-joint in the rear drive shaft is bad :mad:

First strap came off easily, just loosened the nut enough to pop the hanger bolt out of the slot. Second strap I had to use a hacksaw to cut the bolt, and as soon as it came off gasoline started running out of the tank. 2 holes underneath the strap. Good thing there's only a gallon or so in there, if that much.

fuel lines, wiring harness and center strap are up next.

Well, the tank is finally off. I had to cut the breather hose at the fill tube because the clamp is rusted. I'll deal with that later.

Bigger problem is that the return line is busted halfway around just outside the tank. Double :mad: .

I'll try to solder it, but nor until I get the wiring grommet out of there first, and that sucker doesn't want to cooperate either.

The pump is a Bosch unit, and has a 3" length of rubber hose connecting it to the steel line leaving the tank. Is that the factory setup, or does that mean it's been replaced before?

I'm gonna make and eat some pizza while I cool off and let my blood pressure settle. I have the feeling I'll be driving the Suburban for the next few days. The new tank is probably not going to be installed tonight.

The Bosch pump is the OEM.

Drop me a PM and I'll fix you up on the pump unit :D

I think you found the real leak......under the center strap.

Oh......and some thing came to my front (shop) door this weekend, and there's something sticking out the rear that's got your name on it :D

I just reread your post on how you repair the lines. Gonna give it a try, but for lack of a welder I'll let a friend of mine (professional welder) do that part.

Oh, and two of the leaks were under the rear strap. I saved the middle one for last. As badly rusted as the tank is, I'm willing to bet there are more leaks higher up. When I'm done I'm filling to sucker with water all the way to the top to see just how bad it is.

And waiting anxiously for the package.

Well, I got the return line fixed. 1/4" brake line was a loose fit inside the old return line, but not too bad. Welded a nice bead around the end of the old broken off line, and I was good to go.

Got everything back together and poured in 2 gallons of gas. Ran the engine and no leaking lines. Drove 10 miles and filled up the tank to the top, still no leaks. However, I somehow managed to get almost 24 gallons in a 23.5 gallon tank that should only have been able to hold 22 gallons on top of what was already in there. :nuts:

I think that gas pump is reading about 5% high :mad: Will have to call the state auditor or somebody about that tomorrow.

Well, I got the return line fixed. 1/4" brake line was a loose fit inside the old return line, but not too bad. Welded a nice bead around the end of the old broken off line, and I was good to go.

Got everything back together and poured in 2 gallons of gas. Ran the engine and no leaking lines. Drove 10 miles and filled up the tank to the top, still no leaks. However, I somehow managed to get almost 24 gallons in a 23.5 gallon tank that should only have been able to hold 22 gallons on top of what was already in there. :nuts:

I think that gas pump is reading about 5% high :mad: Will have to call the state auditor or somebody about that tomorrow.

The gas pumps are rigged man.... .8 ga = 1 gal on the counter.... its big business man ..... :chillin:

I'll send you the info where the royalty checks go to :D

Tank size is approximate. Fuel tanks are designed to leave an air pocket in the top when full for expansion. If one side of the truck was higher when filling up it will effect the size of the air pocket. The filler hose will also hold a little extra beyond what the tank will hold too.

I'm not saying that their pumps aren't off, but it's not necessarily unusual to be able to put more fuel in your tank than what it is rated for.

Willy

Yes, but 25.5 gallons (1.5 already in it plus the 24) in a 23.5 gallon tank? I don't think so...

Actually, my F100 had a 19.2 (17 imerial gallons) gallon tank and it would only fill to about 18.5, the Suburban has a 42 gallong tank, and full to overflowing is 41.7, My Olds 98 has a 24 gallon tank that only fit about 23.5.

Tank size may be approximate, but I think it includes the air pocket.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I got the class III receiver installed. Took a little work, as it mounts to the outside of the frame rails. Problem is that my factory step bumper mounts also mount to the outside of the frame rails, as well as the bottom.

But with a little coercing, I made it fit over top of the bumper brackets, with new bolts through the hitch bracket, then the bumper bracket and into the frame rail. I used a 5 pound sledge, a crow bar and the weight of the truck to get it over.

Couldn't get it all the way up to where it belongs, though, because my bumper was bent out and down. Bent it back up by jacking up the truck by the bumper and jumping up and down on the tailgate.

Once I got the bumper up out of the way and the hitch bolted on, I found that the bumper was 4" too far back in the middle to line up with the holes on top of the hitch, so I backed into my "bumper straightener" 4 or 5 times until the holes lined up. So now it had 3 bolts into each frame rail and 2 bolts connecting it to the bumper itself. Already tested with bike rack, should be strong enough for my 3000 pound trailer or to use as a recovery point.

Bumper/hitch receiver as seen from back:

and side:

Bumper is nice and straight now as well:

Bumper straightener:

And the mark left on it:

Man......it sound like you had a whole lot of FUN working on your 20 year old truck today :teehee:

But your bumper does look nice and straight........I don't know what the problem could have been :roll:

It's really amazing how 'cheesy' the factory step bumper is.......I just straighten one out for some one else, that one had a twist in it from some one using the hitch ball for something bigger that a wheel barrow :shake:

Your looks really good now Mvusse ;) lets see the bike rack mounted. And this hitch should help support your factory bumper :brows:

Oh.....and you should have let me patch them holes for you :roll:

Yeah, I was gonna have my buddy do it. Then I decided I just wanted to get it installed. Just like the gas tank, I used rust reformer on it until there was no brown left on it anywhere, just black, then primed and painted it. Hopefully it won't rust out any more than it already is, if it does I'll have him sleeve it with a U channel. I can easily remove the bumper from the brackets to get better access to the hitch for welding. 6 bolts total, including the two connecting it to the hitch.

For what it's used for it's still plenty strong enough.

Dark now, and gone all day tomorrow. Will post pictures with the bike rack on Monday.

• 2 weeks later...

Short update:

My seat brackets arrived in the mail Friday. Got what was left of the old ones off and bolted the new ones onto the driver's seat. Tomorrow a buddy of mine will weld a few tacks to make sure everything stays straight, and I should get the seat bolted to the floor this week some time.

So I thought the end was in sight,

Yeah, right...

Driving home 90 minutes in 96 degree weather it started to run worse and worse until it could barely creep up the last hill, and barely maintain 40mph on a flat road. Noticed a problem for the first time a week ago, trying to pass somebody, but it's getting worse. Now that the truck has cooled off, and the temp is only 82 degrees (10:30pm), it can easily maintain 70 on the freeway, but still lacking serious hp at the top end.

Misses hard enough to buck. I'm thinking either coil or fuel pump, and am betting on the fuel pump. Ordered a new one for $75, should be here Thursday.

I'm guessing 4000 miles driving (between me and PO) with the tank always reading empty probably damaged the pump. It has always seemed loud, but the last few weeks has been really loud.

Got the new pump in, and it runs great again. And it's quiet! Old pump could be heard from 20 feet away...

I did have to modify the top bracket a bit, however. The bracket has a half moon cut out to fit around three posts on top of the pump. New pump has 4 posts, so a bit of work with the aviation snips was needed to make the bracket work.

Death wobble also came back. Inspected everything and found the cotter pin on the track bar castle nut missing :eek: Tightened the nut about a half a turn and death wobble is gone again. Will have to go to the hardware store tomorrow to get a new cotter pin.

Front tow hooks should arrive tomorrow (according to UPS web site). Weather permitting I hope to get them installed tomorrow. Plans also include ripping out headliner, installing CB, replacing pass. fender. If not tomorrow, at least this weekend.

Some time next week I plan to remove what's left of the old seat mounting bolts on the floor so I can actually bolt my seat down. But at least now that it has brackets, as opposed to pieces of brackets, it doesn't try to dump me out of the seat every time I turn right...

I may get this sucker ready in time for the Badlands trip yet. Too bad the rear end is sagging 2 or 3 inches. Really going to hurt my departure angle. New leaf packs will have to wait till later, though. Haven't decided if I'm staying with stock leafs (planning SOA next year), or 2" or 3" lift leafs (SOA will be REALLY high then.)

Well, I did actually get some of the planned stuff done this weekend. Friday I got tired of waiting for UPS to show up with my tow hooks, so I went outside to at least replace the ps fender. Open the door, step outside and I trip over a box!

@%@ UPS snuck the box onto my back porch and left without me even noticing they'd been here...

So here's all the parts, them is some beefy brackets:

Next to remove the bumper. Some of the durned clip nuts were broken and just twisted with the bolts, so instead I removed the header panel to have better access to the brackets and remove the bumper with the brackets still attached. Then I could hold the nut with a pair of pliers and remove the bolts to seperate the brackets:

First we install the L brackets:

And sandwich the frame between them and the main brackets with the bumper brackets on top:

Did have to modify the air dam a bit for the hook to fit through:

And as seen from the side:

Now since the front was already apart, this would be a good time to install the new(er) fender. But first I need to change my CB antenna mount brackets over to it.

All it consists of are two strips of 16 gauge galvanized steel, with a 1/2" hole through the center and a few small holes around the outside hoping one of them will work to put a sheet metal screw through to hold it all together and make a good ground connection:

Here you can see the two pieces together with the antenna mount going through:

and the complete sandwich in place and held there with a screw:

Fender installed and antenna screwed on:

Close up of antenna:

Tow hooks in place:

Close up of a tow hook:

And a flex shot with opposing wheels up on ramps to show the fender flare (and liner) installed with 9 1/4 by 3/4 bolts, 9 nylon lock nuts and 18 3/16 washers:

I also installed the CB radio (no pics yet), and ran to Radio $#!t today for some antenna wire, took out the sagging headliner (was originally planning to mount the radio to the roof somewhere). It receives fine, but I have not tried to transmit yet. I'm waiting for my replacement SWR meter to arrive in the mail so I can tune the antenna first.

Will also try to remember to take a picture of the bicycle rack on the truck as well.