Since when is 125,000 "Low Miles"?

jage

I'm looking at MJs and XJs for my wife. People want top dollar for crap with tons of mileage. There is a TJ across the hill listed for $6500, says "NADA $8000" it's got 150K miles and a busted windshield. I put it in edmunds and DEALER is $3400 with the hard top.

These people are fricken crazy. I saw an XJ in cali on ebay and it says "low miles" then later: "125,000 miles". WTF?

I'm starting to get pissed off. Everybody wants top dollar for their hi mileage junk. The guy who does fleet sales told me $2600 cash was salvage price for a 1994 with no features and 152K. It's freaking 14 years old for starters...

Anyway, I'm just venting. How come when the economy is in the crapper people think they're going to get double blue book for something with 1/3 of the miles?

:headpop: :wall:

I'm looking at MJs and XJs for my wife. People want top dollar for crap with tons of mileage. There is a TJ across the hill listed for $6500, says "NADA $8000" it's got 150K miles and a busted windshield. I put it in edmunds and DEALER is $3400 with the hard top.

These people are fricken crazy. I saw an XJ in cali on ebay and it says "low miles" then later: "125,000 miles". WTF?

I'm starting to get pissed off. Everybody wants top dollar for their hi mileage junk. The guy who does fleet sales told me $2600 cash was salvage price for a 1994 with no features and 152K. It's freaking 14 years old for starters...

Anyway, I'm just venting. How come when the economy is in the crapper people think they're going to get double blue book for something with 1/3 of the miles?

:headpop: :wall:

I love all the posts for MJ's that quote are "RARE"... it seems the fact that they were not that popular when they were new in 86-92 (*or at least not popular enough for the brass at Jeep to keep em going) that means they can ask over what the Blue Book and other pricing guys say they are worth.

I overpaid for mine...which I guess goes back to the old addage that things are only worth what people are willing to pay for em...

Good luck!

Sw2

I once bought an MJ with 110k on it and was ecstatic about the "low" miles. :D Of course the MJ was only $300 and it ran great so it's not like I bought it purely for the mileage.

Fact is that in certain parts of the country the older MJ/XJs are getting harder to find in good shape with decent mileage. Condition means more to me than the mileage though. I don't care if it has only 45k on it if the body is toast and it's been sitting dormant in a field for 10 years.

At a certain point in every vehicle's life, the depreciating "bluebook" value starts to mean less and less and other factors start to take control, generally resulting in the price going up for certain models in good shape.

For Jeep motors, specifically the 4.0, 125k is low miles. I bought my 88 XJ with 187k and was content with it, and when we got the 89 XJ with 132k I was extremely happy with the mileage. I bought my red one with 122k (2.5) and my blue one with 134k (4.0) and I considered both to be low mileage.

Always being a Jeep owner I really get a kick out of people who refer to their cars with 100k as "high mileage"

as for low miles.... kelly blue book. dealers don't use it. they used the black book. anyway 12-15k is considered average yearly mileage so do the math for "low miles". i bought a 1995 f150 4x4 xlt reg cab 5.0 8'bed in. it had 166k on it when i traded it in in 2006. dealer sold it for 3 grand in 2 days. claiming LOW LOW MILES!

Not talking about price here... but its a general acceptance than ANY vehicle with less then 12,000 miles per year is considered LO MILEAGE.

SO, a 10 year old vehicle with LESS than 12,000 mile would be a LO MILEAGE vehicle.

Price, that's all over. Blue book is what I generally look at.

OH, don't go by state taxes as a value. (If you are unfortunate enough to have this.) This can vary based on the state. Ours here is 80%. So we are taxed on 80% of the value of the vehicle.

CW

For Jeep motors, specifically the 4.0, 125k is low miles. I bought my 88 XJ with 187k and was content with it, and when we got the 89 XJ with 132k I was extremely happy with the mileage. I bought my red one with 122k (2.5) and my blue one with 134k (4.0) and I considered both to be low mileage.

I agree with this post. The donor mj I picked up had 273k, 4 giant cracks in the waterjacket, and 1/4" of solid sludge on the bottom of the paint. Damn thing still ran though.

But yes, 125K is rediculous to consider low mileage. I think for a 20 year old truck, <75k is a low mileage vehicle.

Not talking about price here... but its a general acceptance than ANY vehicle with less then 12,000 miles per year is considered LO MILEAGE.

SO, a 10 year old vehicle with LESS than 12,000 mile would be a LO MILEAGE vehicle.

Price, that's all over. Blue book is what I generally look at.

OH, don't go by state taxes as a value. (If you are unfortunate enough to have this.) This can vary based on the state. Ours here is 80%. So we are taxed on 80% of the value of the vehicle.

CW

So my 99 TJ with 39,000 miles is a severe anomaly? (~4000-4500mi/yr)?

jamminz.gif

When buying OLD vehicles I really don't look/or care about the mileage on them. You put 100k miles on it & it may be in pristine condition, while my 100k may leave it a smokin & rusted out. I look at what I think it's gonna cost in the end for initial acquistion and additional expenses to restore it to the level of performance & appearance that I will be satisfied with. I've bought em for $400 & put another 500 into making them road worthy, reliable, & pretty. That's not to bad a deal. But I've also regretted some mis-judgements I've made that got expensive. But I guess the fun in it all is trying to get the slickest deal at minimal cost and then not have to tell your buudy that "Yeah I got a real deal on it, but on the way home my foot went thru the floor and I had to beat the flames out under the hood with my shirt", oh well!

125k on a 4.0L is low mileage man...

ever seen one with that many miles that was hurt?

i agree with the other guy, i laugh when i see cars with 100,000 HIGH MILEAGE...

high mileage is 200+

125k is like break-in period or something on a 4.0L isn't it?

I got my MJ for $750 and about 143k, thats low miles to me. My XJ now has almost 225-250k and 2 subaru forresters w/250k . The family van has 208k. All are very reliable and no rust. The Mj runs really great and gets great gas mileage. I put in $4 a month. Of course I only drive it once a week ,in and out of the driveway.