Bucket seat options

I recently picked up an 89 Comanche for my wife and she doesn't care for the bench seat.  I pointed her to some Corbeau Trail Cats and Baja's and she does not care for the race seat look with the harness hole and such.  I saw one of the MJOTM rigs using seats from a 2014 Cherokee KL.  Besides OEM buckets, what other buckets have others used that work fine in a Comanche?  

most anything can be adapted in as long as it didn't come from like a full size truck or something. :L:  frequently just needs some 1x1 square tube and bolts.  bonus points if you get some from a 2dr car so they still fold forward to allow access behind the seat.  power seats can be a real challenge because it's a tight fit down there.

PRP seats are another good option. I’m running the trailcats but there are also the Moab’s which don’t have the harness pass through. Many who run the trailcat style seats also just use oem seat belts. The trailcat is a nice fit and finish in a Comanche imo. The xrs are super comfortable also but a bit bulky for the cab of a small truck. 

I put a set of Hyundai Tiburon seats in my last XJ.   I also have a set in my current LJ.   I can't confirm that they fit in an MJ but my guess is that they would.   In an MJ you'd want seats that fold forward. Knowing this I looked at small 2 dr. cars at a local junk yard until I found something I liked.  They usually go for about $35-$45 a seat and they are proper automotive seats with all of the features (adjustments, sometimes heaters, etc.) as compared to some of the racing seats that are available.

1992959127_2015-10-211.jpg.6eae22854b0bd6ab755e8e728cbecb17.jpg

11 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

If there is someplace you can try to sit in them that will make all the difference :L:

This is true.  When I was looking for seats for my CJ7, I stopped at 4WD Hardware's store in Ohio (long closed now).  They had all the seats in their catalog in the show room on pedestals so you could "test sit". I spent an hour test sitting and was surprised that cost sure didn't equate to comfort.  I ended buying the cheapest seats they had, generic 4WDH store branded high back seats (probably the same as the seats marketed by Smittybilt these days).  Those seats have been in my CJ since around 2005.  I haven't ran a top other than a bikini top in over a decade, and they have seen sun, ice, snow, and thunderstorms and are still comfortable and look good.

I really like my stock waggy limited seats in my mj, but recently I picked up a set of wj overland leather seats for my xj, they fit really nice, and are extremely comfortable. And to put them in an mj would be as easy as swapping in 95+ Xj seats. You can even add the armrest to the new style xj console with no modifications. 

B0536827-18EB-4267-BF86-9E75B8774E12.jpeg

D25F7286-AC16-405E-AD26-E441E7D4907B.jpeg

899CBD9B-8E0D-4616-9BBA-E59FDAA31B00.jpeg

On 1/21/2024 at 3:51 PM, Colt6920 said:

I recently picked up an 89 Comanche for my wife and she doesn't care for the bench seat.  I pointed her to some Corbeau Trail Cats and Baja's and she does not care for the race seat look with the harness hole and such.  I saw one of the MJOTM rigs using seats from a 2014 Cherokee KL.  Besides OEM buckets, what other buckets have others used that work fine in a Comanche?  

I adapted some 2016 KL seats on my comanche and i'll tell you right away that it's quite a labor intensive thing, it took me about 40 to 50 hours of work to make them fit, and i had to permanently modify both the seats and the floor of the truck for them to be an option.

They're absolutely GREAT to have if you want them to fit, but you must REALLY want them to fit to actually make them fit.