Injector Replacement or Clean

junkyard injectors from whatever gives us the proper 4-hole variety.  :L:  mustang?  volvo?  I forget the specifics, but I'll be doing this exact thing in a couple weeks to the 88 I'm working on (as one of the factory units has split and is now spewing gas in the wrong direction.  it's a lovely spray pattern, but I prefer my gas to stay inside the engine. :(  )

3 minutes ago, Pete M said:

junkyard injectors from whatever gives us the proper 4-hole variety.  :L:  mustang?  volvo?  I forget the specifics, but I'll be doing this exact thing in a couple weeks to the 88 I'm working on (as one of the factory units has split and is now spewing gas in the wrong direction.  it's a lovely spray pattern, but I prefer my gas to stay inside the engine. :(  )

Yikes!! I’m just taking my time going through the engine right now. It’s running a little rough and seems to crank over several times before it starts. I plan on giving it a tuneup and checking the fuel injectors. I also want to check the timing chain and gears. I had a CJ that ran rough, and when I changed the timing gears and chain, it ran as smooth as could be. Checking the timing on it will tell me if the gears are worn. 

2 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

I’d hardly say going from a single stream injector to a 4 hole with better atomization a bad thing. 

Maybe I explained that wrong. I didn't want to see someone changing parts to sole a specific problem if that part isn't the cause.  ie: changing a tail light bulb to stop the brakes from grinding.

The Volvo 746 injectors are the recommendation and what I went with.  Cruiser has a good write-up:

https://cruiser54.com/?p=438

I went with cheap eBay knock offs of the 746 injectors and couldn't be happier.  I have much smoother idle and a bit better torque over all.  Changing the injectors didn't help the longish cranking I have before firing, but it doesn't bother me and has never not started.  

NOTHING will eliminate the longish cranking of a Renix Jeep. 

There's a guy on Cherokee Forum that rebuilds the later injectors to use in our Renix Jeeps. I've used multiple sets with excellent results.

They even come with a flowsheet!!

trevor.skankfootracing@gmail.com

7 hours ago, cruiser54 said:

Thats a relative statement.  At some point during the execution of your tips on my truck my crank to start time reduced by at least half.  I understand the renix will always crank longer than other FI systems, but that is not to say the crank to start time can't be improved.

6 hours ago, cruiser54 said:

5ish. 

That makes me feel better. I thought there was something wrong with my truck. 

On 12/28/2023 at 4:13 AM, cruiser54 said:

There's a guy on Cherokee Forum that rebuilds the later injectors to use in our Renix Jeeps. I've used multiple sets with excellent results.

They even come with a flowsheet!!

trevor.skankfootracing@gmail.com

^^^these are the ones you want. Guaranteed to work. eBay knockoffs not so much. Got my knockoffs from Amazon and made my truck run way too rich, and and a terrible idle. Dropped my milage 3 mpg!

On 12/27/2023 at 5:45 PM, pizzaman09 said:

The Volvo 746 injectors are the recommendation and what I went with.  Cruiser has a good write-up:

https://cruiser54.com/?p=438

I went with cheap eBay knock offs of the 746 injectors and couldn't be happier.  I have much smoother idle and a bit better torque over all.  Changing the injectors didn't help the longish cranking I have before firing, but it doesn't bother me and has never not started.