Melted headlight switch plug, anyone have a PN for a new one?

• Kaiserman changed the title to Melted headlight switch plug, anyone have a PN for a new one?

Looking at pictures on Rockauto, it looks like the 92 switch has two additional terminals that are not present on the 91.  But other than that, the remaining terminals look to be the same layout.  So, one could assume the 92+ connector would work.  But I would bet $1 that they changed something about the switch or plug so it doesn't work.

This one on Summit Racing doesn't cross reference, but it sure looks like it would work.

Screen Shot 2023-12-27 at 10.34.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-12-27 at 11.08.44 PM.png

I want to add- look at the tabs on the switch body that the connector locks onto.  On the 91, the locking tab on the top is towards the rear.  The locking tab on the bottom is towards the front.  That matches the Crown J3205596 connector.

The 92 switch, it's hard to see, but the locking tabs are in reversed positions. 

I've got a switch from a 79 J10 in front of me.  To me it looks identical to the 1991.  The Crown part on Summit cross references to the 79 J10.

The only difference is how it interfaces with the mount at the dash.  The J10 has a elongated snout that sticks out.  The XJ one doesn't.  That won't affect the connector.

IMG_6418.jpeg

Almost ten years ago I got a part number off here. Don’t know if I ever wrote it down but if I found it once I can find it again.

There we go. The rockauto link even still works. I’ll reiterate what I said in 2016 that I did need to trim a connector pin or two off the outside of the plug for it to fit, and you’ll probably want to figure out what needs trimmed before installing it on the headlight switch. 

I won’t necessarily stand by my explanation of what happens to the switch/wiring. I didn’t reread it because it’s pretty longwinded but I know I’ve had some misconceptions in the past. My current understanding is that the switch contacts arc and burn slightly every time you make a connection, which leads to a poor connection between switch contacts that gets very hot and conducts heat away to things that should not receive heat. 
Installing a headlight relay harness will alleviate the risk of recurrence. It also may increase headlight brightness. There is also potential for it to interfere with DRL functions if you have a Canadian spec truck, but that can be addressed very easily if need be. 

I ended up with a used one. I was curious if a 79-86 FSJ plug would fit. All of my FSJ' plugs are for the older 63-78 switches though.

I'd still like to find a new one just to toss on the shelf. Hoping to run the winter with just a new plug before upgrading to the relay set up for the lights.

• 2 weeks later...

So my used one was melted as well. Just not bad enough to be obvious when it was still on the switch.

If anyone is interested in knowing, the plug is the exact same as the 63-7? full size Jeeps. I happened to have one right on my bench in the

garage. It was only very slightly melted. Almost like this is a common thing with Jeep, right?:laugh:

Hence this:

HEADLIGHT HARNESS UPGRADE

Putco relaysHeadlamp harness

It’s easy to install a supplemental headlight harness.

From the factory, the voltage to the headlight bulbs travels from the battery, through connectors, inside the cabin, to the headlamp switch, and then back out to the lamps via undersized wire and more connectors. It’s not uncommon to find only 10.5 volts at the lamps.

The supplemental harness is installed so that it provides battery voltage to the lamps and is just triggered by the factory wiring. The result is about 35% brighter headlamps and headlight switches that don’t melt and burn out.

Ebay has the harnesses. 2 headlamp H4 with ceramic connectors is what you want. You’ll likely be warned that the harness won’t fit your Jeep. It will.

Absolutely plug and play:

• Remove grille and headlamp bulbs. I fed my harnesses from the passenger side starting between the battery and the back of the headlamp housing, over to the driver side.
  • Plug the driver side bulb into the new harness.
  • Attach the new harness’s ground wire under one of the small bolts on the radiator support after scraping the paint off under it.
  • Attach the harness to the existing harness behind the grille working toward the passenger side.
  • Plug the new harness plug into passenger headlamp.
  • Plug original headlamp plug into receptacle on new harness.
  • Attach the ground for the passenger side just like you did the driver side under a radiator support bolt.
  • Attach relays with provided bracket on the passenger side inner fender.
  • Connect power wires to battery.
  •  

2 hours ago, Kaiserman said:

So my used one was melted as well. Just not bad enough to be obvious when it was still on the switch.

If anyone is interested in knowing, the plug is the exact same as the 63-7? full size Jeeps. I happened to have one right on my bench in the

garage. It was only very slightly melted. Almost like this is a common thing with Jeep, right?:laugh:

Yep, the Crown J3205596 connector is an exact fit.  No need to go through the nonsense of modifying the later connector (WVE 1P1190, Standard Motor Products S720).