Bucket Seats not folding forward

Is there a write up for how to readjust the levers on the bucket seats so that they fold forward? When I first installed the seats, it was only a problem with the driver side. Now the passenger seat is doing the same thing so I’d like to address it

On 9/3/2023 at 9:53 AM, cruiser54 said:

I remember when zip ties were invented...............

Impressive!

I got so fed up with mine, I just rigged it up with stiff electrical wire and a make shift pipe as a handle. It’s really is ghetto but it fixed the problem :dry:

• 8 months later...
On 8/31/2023 at 9:30 PM, pizzaman09 said:

I added a zip tie at some point to fix mine, over a year in and it works perfectly still.

Hey Pizzaman09,

I just picked up a pair of bucket seats from a '88 Eliminator and the passenger seat won't fold forward. There is no resistance when I engage the lever (that's located at shoulder height when you are sitting in the seat). Picture attached.

Did you have to pull the entire seat cover off to make your zip tie fix? Lastly, will I need some hog rings and the hog ring tool to get the seat cover back on correctly? Thanks

Eliminator Seats.jpg

1 hour ago, robfg67 said:

Hey Pizzaman09,

I just picked up a pair of bucket seats from a '88 Eliminator and the passenger seat won't fold forward. There is no resistance when I engage the lever (that's located at shoulder height when you are sitting in the seat). Picture attached.

Did you have to pull the entire seat cover off to make your zip tie fix? Lastly, will I need some hog rings and the hog ring tool to get the seat cover back on correctly? Thanks

Eliminator Seats.jpg

That's the problem my seat had.  No I kind of found a way in from the bottom of the back and zip tied the cable sheath to to frame with one zip tie, it fixed it perfectly.  It's been 2 years since I did this so I don't remember the details other than I really kind of felt it out more so than saw the cable, doing it blind with my hands.

11 hours ago, pizzaman09 said:

That's the problem my seat had.  No I kind of found a way in from the bottom of the back and zip tied the cable sheath to to frame with one zip tie, it fixed it perfectly.  It's been 2 years since I did this so I don't remember the details other than I really kind of felt it out more so than saw the cable, doing it blind with my hands.

Did you zip tie the sheath to the frame just to take up the slack? 

1 hour ago, robfg67 said:

Did you zip tie the sheath to the frame just to take up the slack? 

Yep, and it worked!

In retrospect I might have unscrewed the handle on the side and slid it down in the slot to allow the cable to have a bit more wiggle room prior to then zip tieing and then putting it he handle back in place.

Ok, I just took the seat apart and found the problem.

The cable wire came separated from the "Z hook" (small piece in picture 2). One end of the hook slips into the thumb latch on the top side of the seat and the other end has a small hole that the cable inserts into. The cable came out of the hole. I tried inserting it and pressing it with a pair of vise grips, but it would not hold the first time I tried to move the thumb latch.

Can this cable be welded to the z hook? 

I'm guessing that finding a replacement would be near impossible?

Is there a similar cable that could be retrofitted?

20240525_094208.jpg

20240525_094125.jpg

20240525_094110.jpg

4 hours ago, robfg67 said:

Ok, I just took the seat apart and found the problem.

The cable wire came separated from the "Z hook" (small piece in picture 2). One end of the hook slips into the thumb latch on the top side of the seat and the other end has a small hole that the cable inserts into. The cable came out of the hole. I tried inserting it and pressing it with a pair of vise grips, but it would not hold the first time I tried to move the thumb latch.

Can this cable be welded to the z hook? 

I'm guessing that finding a replacement would be near impossible?

Is there a similar cable that could be retrofitted?

20240525_094208.jpg

20240525_094125.jpg

20240525_094110.jpg

I've welded a cable like that for a choke on another car.  You might drill a small hole through the side to weld through to the cable.  I did one small zap with my flux core mig and the. Ground off the extra weld.