August 2023 - Pioneer to Chief

August 2023 - @Silverhawk1991's 88 Chief

Build Thread-

Year/Model- 

1988 Pioneer (converted to Chief)

Engine/Performance - 

Stock 4.0, Was rebuilt at around 150,000 miles. Has about 30k on the rebuilt engine, sitting at 189k total. 

Drivetrain- 

AW4, 3:55 gears, Dana 35 rear, Dana 30 front with CAD. Full transmission rebuild performed last month. 

Cooling- 

Converted to open system. 

Electrical/Ignition- 

@MJCARENARemoved the C101 connector, did all the ground upgrades.

Suspension/Steering- 

Stock except for 1 3/4" coil spring spacers that I just added to level the truck. 

Interior-  

Gray, bench seat with added headrests. 

Brakes- 

Upgraded to a 95/96 brake booster and master.

Lighting- 

Stock, with added 5x7 halogen lights on the sportbar and fog lights

Exterior- 

@MJCARENAadded the Comanche Chief decals and pin striping. I repainted the trim pieces flat black and added the factory original sportbar

Wheel & Tires- 

31x10.5x15 Pathfinders. 32x11.5x15 BF Goodrich AT are ordered, we'll see if they rub. 

Misc- 

Has the full skid plate package, (front, transfer case, and gas tank). Has the tow hitch. Previous owner had the bed sprayed with Line-X.

I want to say that 99% of the credit for how clean this truck is goes to @MJCARENA, he did a fantastic job preserving it. Since having it, I've done: Full A/C system rebuild, full transmission rebuild (RIP my wallet), added the factory sportbar and lights, replaced 4x4 vacuum tubes, and have plans to add a hidden bluetooth module to the stock stereo. 

Best MJ story- 

Almost everytime I take this truck out, I get a comment or two. After owning the truck for just a week, my wife and I were getting coffee. The guy in front of us in line said "Nice Truck!" and paid for our coffees. I told my wife "see, it's paying itself off already!"

Second best story is winning my local car show in the 1982 - 1999 Truck category, beating some seriously suped up Toyotas. 

IMG_0456.jpeg.796b2599cbedb052ce634b1f66fdc984.jpeg

CC is Awesome! Why? 

I was able to reconnect with the previous owner ( @MJCARENA, build thread here: https://comancheclub.com/topic/24594-mjcarenas-1988-mj). He told me all about the truck and was glad I salvaged it from the intermediary owner, a young kid who wanted to chop it and lift it. I've learned so much about this truck from this forum, and have been able to do so much little maintenance to it from just reading through everyone's posts. 

IMG_0459.jpg

IMG_0460.jpg

IMG_0461.jpg

IMG_0462.jpg

IMG_1535.jpg

IMG_1546.jpg

IMG_1548.jpg

IMG_1549.jpg

IMG_1551.jpg

IMG_1552.jpg

IMG_1614.jpg

IMG_7047.jpg