High output fuel pump

So I need to replace the Delhi fuel pump I have in my Eagle. (XJ tank swap with 92 High Output 4.0 fuel injection) I have only put 500 miles on it and it is on its way out. It is super loud (you can hear it standing 20 feet away) and overheated once already almost leaving me stuck on the side of the road. My question is which fuel pump to get, the Bosch 69302 or the Mopar 68001826AA. It looks like I can get either one just wondering which one would be better?

Edited by Eagle_SX4
Fixed the Bosch #

• 4 weeks later...

Well I ordered a Mopar fuel pump from Amazon but returned it because I couldn't find a sock or the proper connector for it. I can't find the Bosch pump in stock any where. I also have seen in pictures that it will also require a special plug and sock that I can't find any where. Any help would be much appreciated.

Fuel pump and hangar assembly from the parts store is probably an XJ unit. They're not quite right in an MJ tank. With a little creativity you should be able to rob the parts off it to move over to your sending unit, but there goes the lifetime warranty. Currently MTS is the only manufacturer we're aware of making proper sending units to fit the Renix MJ, there's been talk about it but I haven't seen an HO version released to the general public yet.

MTS has the HO sending unit available but the OP has an XJ tank from what I can see. The Bosch bump was a turbine pump and a very good unit but as you mentioned, almost impossible to find. It’s the adapter that came in that kit that I haven’t been able to locate anywhere. That being said, both myself and @Limeyjeeper have installed a deatshwerks DW200 pump on an MJ sending unit. It does require some engineering but works well. The airtex/precision pump from the parts store is hit and miss but use a cane style pump iirc. The Bosch and most other newer pump designs are a turbine design. Smaller, more efficient and quieter. 

20 hours ago, Eagle_SX4 said:

Thanks for the replies. If I have have to change the parts store pump frequently I will probably switch to the DW200 pump.

Just keep the warranty info. Mine lasted about a year of daily driving but was warrantied out for free. Pump swaps really are quite simple on our trucks

The OE part number for all 4.0 applications for MJ and XJ from 87-93 is 4637192. The body of this pump is longer than most of the aftermarket offerings, including the Bosch 69302, Delphi FE0108 and the Walbro 5CA234 noted above. These shorter pumps seem to be turbine pumps, where as the longer ones like OE and the Carter P90011 are likely roller vane (louder, less efficient). The longer ones (about 170mm) are easier to fit but likely have somewhat shorter service life inherent in the design, while the shorter ones (about 135mm) require some cobbling but likely quieter and last longer. IMHO the cobbling required to use the turbine design is worth it, though you need to make sure the end result has the inlet of the pump at the same position as it would be with an older, longer roller vane design for proper fuel draw from the tank.

The most important and most often left out spec for a pump is free flow volume in gal/hr or lph. A lot just throw out a pressure spec, but don't say what the regulation method is, or what volume of flow was required to hit that advertised pressure. Pressure is resistance to flow. You can make high pressure with low flow if you restrict the return enough but the delivery rate at low flow won't meet the demand from the rail/ injectors. Too much free flow rate and you have a hard time regulating it to a usable pressure without putting a lot of strain on the pump. From what I've seen looking at a lot of pumps offered for 4.0 applications prior to the change to 49psi at the rail, the required free flow rate to efficiently make 31-39psi is somewhere between 25-45gph (94-170lph).

18 hours ago, Gojira94 said:

The OE part number for all 4.0 applications for MJ and XJ from 87-93 is 4637192. The body of this pump is longer than most of the aftermarket offerings, including the Bosch 69302, Delphi FE0108 and the Walbro 5CA234 noted above. These shorter pumps seem to be turbine pumps, where as the longer ones like OE and the Carter P90011 are likely roller vane (louder, less efficient). The longer ones (about 170mm) are easier to fit but likely have somewhat shorter service life inherent in the design, while the shorter ones (about 135mm) require some cobbling but likely quieter and last longer. IMHO the cobbling required to use the turbine design is worth it, though you need to make sure the end result has the inlet of the pump at the same position as it would be with an older, longer roller vane design for proper fuel draw from the tank.

The most important and most often left out spec for a pump is free flow volume in gal/hr or lph. A lot just throw out a pressure spec, but don't say what the regulation method is, or what volume of flow was required to hit that advertised pressure. Pressure is resistance to flow. You can make high pressure with low flow if you restrict the return enough but the delivery rate at low flow won't meet the demand from the rail/ injectors. Too much free flow rate and you have a hard time regulating it to a usable pressure without putting a lot of strain on the pump. From what I've seen looking at a lot of pumps offered for 4.0 applications prior to the change to 49psi at the rail, the required free flow rate to efficiently make 31-39psi is somewhere between 25-45gph (94-170lph).

I agree, swapping to a turbine style pump is worth it. The Bosch kit had a nice little adapter for it. Some of the pumps will lost both a free flow and a flow at given pressure in their specs. 

I personally went with the dw200 because of my engine swap. But I think I’d probably do it again even with a stock rig (though maybe a lower flowing unit depending on needs of the engine) 

• 6 months later...

Doing some more research on this topic. I found out Jeep started using turbine style pumps for the Cherokees in 94. I was planning on buying a sending unit assembly for the 94-95 Cherokee as it has the turbine style pump and most importantly there would be no modifications necessary. I can't find one for sale anywhere. MTS only makes ones up to 93 but not the 94-95 one.

Other than Junkyards does anyone know of a source for this hanger?

The 94-95 Bosch pumps (#69544) seem to be available and spec'd for the 4.0 high output. Also a much better replacement than the roller vane pumps.

The YJ wrangler used this pump from 91-95 for both the 2.5 and 4.0 liters. The Cherokees only used it from 94-early 96 before they switched to plastic tanks.

Crown Automotive makes one for the 96 Cherokee. Part# 5003869AA. The problem with that one is it has an integrated Fuel Pressure Regulator and a different plug. This is a picture of the Crown part

5003869AA.jpg

18 minutes ago, Eagle_SX4 said:

I was planning on buying a sending unit assembly for the 94-95 Cherokee as it has the turbine style pump and most importantly there would be no modifications necessary.

Just to be clear the XJ sending unit is not a drop-in replacement for the MJ unit. They might sorta work in some circumstances but as a rule they do need modification. 

• 1 month later...

I could not stand the sound of the rotary vane pump any more so I got a Deatschwerks DW200 pump. I was lucky enough to find a '94 Cherokee in the local junkyard that still had its sending unit assembly. IMG_20240410_172002563.jpg.a902546c0326bcbd8c0f38638a446e54.jpgThe DW200 replaced the stock turbine pump with no modifications. (Didn't check the fuel pump connector yet but the new pump came with a new one). This will be going in my Eagle with a Cherokee tank.IMG_20240410_173747557.jpg.d13d56611b54344321ba67912da7298e.jpgIt also has a rubber isolator for the pump to sit on.IMG_20240410_172452009.jpg.4e0297c00034a6f58719fb8c018e1d0f.jpgIMG_20240410_173803503.jpg.86ca0d4f120e2f4b66d70cb8ba022e13.jpg

IMG_20240410_173758881.jpg

1 hour ago, Eagle_SX4 said:

I could not stand the sound of the rotary vane pump any more so I got a Deatschwerks DW200 pump. I was lucky enough to find a '94 Cherokee in the local junkyard that still had its sending unit assembly. IMG_20240410_172002563.jpg.a902546c0326bcbd8c0f38638a446e54.jpgThe DW200 replaced the stock turbine pump with no modifications. (Didn't check the fuel pump connector yet but the new pump came with a new one). This will be going in my Eagle with a Cherokee tank.IMG_20240410_173747557.jpg.d13d56611b54344321ba67912da7298e.jpgIt also has a rubber isolator for the pump to sit on.IMG_20240410_172452009.jpg.4e0297c00034a6f58719fb8c018e1d0f.jpgIMG_20240410_173803503.jpg.86ca0d4f120e2f4b66d70cb8ba022e13.jpg

IMG_20240410_173758881.jpg

Looks good! That must have been a later model gen 1 Cherokee with the turbine pump. MJ senders require a bit more modding. Those pumps are awesome btw. I run them on offshore jet skis as well with zero failures