Poison ivy removal

kook911

I would greatly appreciate your advice regarding poison ivy removal from my property. Unfortunately, I have recently contracted poison ivy all over my body while doing yard work.

After researching my options, I have found three products that seem to be effective: industrial vinegar, Triclopyr, and glyphosate. However, I am unsure which one to choose, or if there is another product that would work better. If you know of someone that is immune to the ivy's oil I will also pay for them to remove the ivy. 

I am willing to remove any vegetation necessary to get rid of the poison ivy, so I am looking for a product that will completely eradicate this plant. I would appreciate any advice or recommendations from those who have experience with poison ivy removal. The affected area is approximately 20x20 feet, and I am looking for the most effective solution to this problem. 

Thank you in advance for your help

If I remember correctly, glyphosate is Roundup, which has been shown to be carcinogenic. I have tried vinegar, without much success. However, it appears that I was using it wrong. I was spraying it on the leaves, and I have since read that the way to use vinegar is to add salt to it and soak the roots of the plants. That's on my agenda for this summer.

The problem is that poison ivy is still poison ivy, even when dead. you'll still need to wear heavy rubber goves when handling it. DO NOT burn it. The smoke carries the toxin into the lungs.

23 hours ago, Pete M said:

is your stuff the ones that grow on the ground or the vines that climb trees?

Sadly it is both. I have three pretty thick vines going up the tree.  My plan is to cut an inch out to kill the part going up and then paint the root. For the stuff on the ground I will spray over and over till it is gone.  

23 hours ago, Eagle said:

If I remember correctly, glyphosate is Roundup, which has been shown to be carcinogenic. I have tried vinegar, without much success. However, it appears that I was using it wrong. I was spraying it on the leaves, and I have since read that the way to use vinegar is to add salt to it and soak the roots of the plants. That's on my agenda for this summer.

The problem is that poison ivy is still poison ivy, even when dead. you'll still need to wear heavy rubber goves when handling it. DO NOT burn it. The smoke carries the toxin into the lungs.

I also read to add some dish soap to the mix that way it will stick to the leaves.  I might even through some salt onto the ground just to make sure that it all dies.  Once it dead I’ll buy a disposable suit and go pull everything. 

that's how I killed all the tree vines in our little corner of the forest, chopped it at the base and then again three feet up.  the vine in the tree will try to sprout new roots so it needs to be high enough it can't reach (if I remember right, they grew a foot or so down before dying).  the roots didn't ever sprout a new vine, nor did the 3ft section do anything of note, but your mileage may vary.  :dunno: 

I'd avoid salting if you can since that affects most everything.  persistence with the other methods should work. :L:   might take a couple growing seasons to get it all. 

In the summer of 2009 I was doing odd jobs for the summer and some rich guy hired me strictly to remove poison Ivy from his property. He paid me $40 an hour.  I bit the bullet and went all in hand cutting the stuff off his property (insurance agency building) job took 4 weeks it never effected me until the last week. I started to get itchy on the Tuesday and by Friday night I was in the hospital with my eyes swollen shut. They had to give me a steroid shot. Stuff is nasty be careful. 

Depending on where one lives currently in the country, the season for doing this is most likely 180* off the time to do so now. You can still get it year round but it peaks in spring through fall at it's most potent state. That being said, wait till the cold season so it's easier to cover up when working. Vines are easier to address without touching them when it's trees and fences. Drill holes in the largest roots of the vine and make a Borat and dish soap mix with water. Periodically pour in the holes of vines but NOT ANYTHING YOU WISH TO KEEP. You can dump it on the ground but it will kill root systems. So focus on the main trunks and keep your soil for future generations. It might be best to tackle vines during the growing season to stop the spread. Clean the rest of it in the winter time. As for me, I've learnt to let the rash run it's course once I've been exposed. You're going to know when the doc is needed for a shot and steroids if it gets that bad. It's inevitable to run it's course regardless. Itching spreads and makes the oil. The oil will cause infection then again wherever you touch. So keep that in mind with your mouth, privates, eyes, and loved ones. Fresh lemons work well for me in the shower on the rash. The key is to keep dry the urushiol oil(ivy oil) 24/7 if at all possible. Heat draws more poison so sweating and itching will spread it. The lemon draws the oil out and burns or stings at times in the open spots. You won't want to itch it. Once you see the oil draw from the rash, blot not rub what you can in a rag that you can toss. Don't wear the same sweaty clothes you worked in if your infected. If you have varmint, any livestock, or unwanted neighbors, you can pile it in areas to keep them all out. Just be make sure it's dead wherever you put it to biodegrade so your not accidentally planting it. 

21 minutes ago, mjeff87 said:

Get a goat, or three. 

That thought had occurred to me.  They used them to clear undergrowth on power lines in New England. 

Literally had herds grazing vast areas and they were very effective.     

Been there with the eyes swollen shut and itchy privates.  Cortisone shot was the only answer.  Another time sitting for two weeks in over stuffed chair with arms weeping onto towels.  Now at the first sign I rub cortisone cream on affected areas and it seems to nip it in the bud.  Never use hot water to wash.  It will spread it very quickly.  The lemon approach sounds like it could be effective as well.  Hope I never have to find out.

Another thing to try is covering the area with clear plastic sheeting for a couple of months.  Bake it to death.  I would also use eye protection and an effective respirator when removing it.  I've heard of people dying from inhaled poison oak smoke so definitely not an answer.

For the vinegar to kill anything it needs to be strong, cleaning vinegar is about the minimum concentration at 10%.  In the US it's fairly easy to purchase much stronger vinegar than that, just be careful as the higher concentrations can really hurt your skin/eyes/etc if you screw up.  You also need to add salt (1 cup per gallon sort of thing) and a surfactant (soap, I just use dish soap, a good squeeze of it).  The soap breaks down the protective lipids (fats) on the leaves and allows the vinegar to penetrate, where it then causes the leaves to die.  The salt is there to soak into the ground near it and stop things from growing.  I don't think you'll have great success at wiping out poison ivy with it, it's just a fairly benign option for controlling broad leaf weeds, but anything that can outgrow it will.  Dandelions stand no chance against it though.  I use it only because I have a well and would rather not use anything more toxic than that.

Glyphosate is used almost everywhere and in massive quantities on a regular basis.  As to if it causes cancer, it probably does (most things in your kitchen can), but like most things the exposure entry method, quantity, and duration likely affect the probability.  If you use it be sure to follow the instructions and wear the appropriate PPE.  Glyphosate does do an excellent job of killing the roots, as that is what it's designed to do.

Triclopyr is fairly toxic, but it does break down fairly quickly (30-90 days).  It's used all over the world (including the US) for spraying ditches and right of ways, as it's fairly indiscriminate in what it kills.  I'm not a fan, but it does work well on poison ivy, and is well regarded for that.  Again, PPE up and read the directions if you use it.

Mechanical removal is the most effective method to kill things without risk of long term toxic effects.  A rake and a hoe will do wonders.  You could start off with the vinegar mix and follow up with the hoe a few days later.  You just need to turn it up enough that the roots are removed.  If you don't want anything to live there again, you can rake in a few bags of water softener salt.  Or plant a cover crop on it that will choke out any future weeds.

I have a bunch of Poison Ivy in WV growing on the Old Farm House. I do come into contact with it. I have not tried to kill it yet. As for treatment on the skin, I use Technu from the drug store.  If you rub it on and let it sit for 5-15 minutes them wash off. It seems to minimize or even eliminate the rash. I do try and wash first, then apply and wash off. 

16 hours ago, 75sv1 said:

I have a bunch of Poison Ivy in WV growing on the Old Farm House. I do come into contact with it. I have not tried to kill it yet. As for treatment on the skin, I use Technu from the drug store.  If you rub it on and let it sit for 5-15 minutes them wash off. It seems to minimize or even eliminate the rash. I do try and wash first, then apply and wash off. 

I have not tried the Technu but I do swear by Zanfel. Price is minimal when you buy it online and the stuff works for me. 

On 4/20/2023 at 2:21 PM, DirtyComanche said:

For the vinegar to kill anything it needs to be strong, cleaning vinegar is about the minimum concentration at 10%.  In the US it's fairly easy to purchase much stronger vinegar than that, just be careful as the higher concentrations can really hurt your skin/eyes/etc if you screw up.  You also need to add salt (1 cup per gallon sort of thing) and a surfactant (soap, I just use dish soap, a good squeeze of it).  The soap breaks down the protective lipids (fats) on the leaves and allows the vinegar to penetrate, where it then causes the leaves to die.  The salt is there to soak into the ground near it and stop things from growing.  I don't think you'll have great success at wiping out poison ivy with it, it's just a fairly benign option for controlling broad leaf weeds, but anything that can outgrow it will.  Dandelions stand no chance against it though.  I use it only because I have a well and would rather not use anything more toxic than that.

Glyphosate is used almost everywhere and in massive quantities on a regular basis.  As to if it causes cancer, it probably does (most things in your kitchen can), but like most things the exposure entry method, quantity, and duration likely affect the probability.  If you use it be sure to follow the instructions and wear the appropriate PPE.  Glyphosate does do an excellent job of killing the roots, as that is what it's designed to do.

Triclopyr is fairly toxic, but it does break down fairly quickly (30-90 days).  It's used all over the world (including the US) for spraying ditches and right of ways, as it's fairly indiscriminate in what it kills.  I'm not a fan, but it does work well on poison ivy, and is well regarded for that.  Again, PPE up and read the directions if you use it.

Mechanical removal is the most effective method to kill things without risk of long term toxic effects.  A rake and a hoe will do wonders.  You could start off with the vinegar mix and follow up with the hoe a few days later.  You just need to turn it up enough that the roots are removed.  If you don't want anything to live there again, you can rake in a few bags of water softener salt.  Or plant a cover crop on it that will choke out any future weeds.

Thanks for the great break down of all the products. I went with glyphosate and once all the rain stops here I’m going to go out and get my revenge on this damn Ivy. 

I’m also fairly allergic to poison ivy and have had a few bad rashes from it and highly recommend the products like Technu for use after potential contact.  We had a lot of undergrowth in the tree line behind our previous home, some of which was poison ivy that got me a few times.  I kept Technu on the janitors sink I had in the basement garage and would wash my hands, arms and face with it if I thought there was a chance I had touched any poison ivy or oak.  Seemed to work well if used correctly and shortly after contact.  When I planned to remove the stuff I would wear old clothes I could discard instead of taking a chance spreading the oil by washing the clothes.  I would prewash my hands, remove my shirt and pants by turning them inside out as I took them off, then put them in a trash bag and into the trash can.  Then rewash with Technu and immediately take a hot shower.

if a rash develops, get a steroid shot and steroid dose pack.  I’ve tried the over the counter cortisone cream bur all it does for me is control the itching to some degree.

I’ve used Roundup Poison Ivy/Oak spray with good results.  Have not used Triclopyr but will give it a try.  I just spray everything that looks like it may even be thinking about being poison ivy.  Use proper protective gear as said above.  I will not get close enough to the stuff to drill holes in the root.  For vines, I cut it with an axe or hatchet close to the ground and again as high as I can safely reach to make sure it doesn’t grow back together.  Dispose of the section cut out using disposable gloves.  I don’t try to pull the vines off the tree.

This way may take several years to get rid of the stuff but it minimizes contact.  If yours is growing closer to your house you may have to use more drastic measures to get rid of it.

As stated above DO NOT TRY TO BURN POISOnIVY/OAK/SUMAC!  Breathing the smoke can kill you.