1986 Comanche X

Finally! I found myself a nice MJ. I have been browsing Facebook and craigslist for years (often daily) for a nice clean MJ with a long bed. 2 weeks ago I noticed one parked next to a barn down the road. I didn't have time to stop so I made a mental note to go back. Well a couple of days ago I stopped by and inquired. Long story short the PO pulled it out of his barn to install a new clutch and get it on the road to sell. After the clutch install, the pedal just goes to the floor. He got discouraged and let it sit... Until I showed up! I'm currently charging the battery and topping off fluids as I type this. Hoping to get it running before I diagnose the clutch issue. I plan to leave the exterior alone (other than some turbines and new tires), strip down the interior and give it a good cleaning. Then replace whatever is missing inside and use it as a daily to keep miles off of my JL wrangler. In the mean time I'll likely be looking for an xj with less than 150k on it to use as a 4.0 donor.

For anyone wondering, I gave 1k for it as is.

PXL_20230303_004210405.jpg

PXL_20230303_004203002.jpg

PXL_20230303_004226011.jpg

PXL_20230303_004216423.jpg

PXL_20230303_004240040.jpg

PXL_20230303_004233173.jpg

PXL_20230303_004253474.jpg

PXL_20230303_004246820.jpg

PXL_20230303_004300170.jpg

PXL_20230303_180853202.jpg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Regarding the black wheel, was that joke or is it actually a rare item?

I put new plugs and fresh fuel in the truck and it fired up right away.. but there is a lot of white smoke coming out of the tail pipe. I ran a compression test on the motor cold (and dry). Numbers as follows.

2-111
4-103
6-109
1-105
3-115
5-119

Oil is not contaminated. Rear most plug on either side was wet after sitting for 20 hrs (seemed like coolant). I'm going to try replacing the lower intake gasket and see if that fixes things. If not, Ill have to decide on what to swap in asap.

6 hours ago, chance_p said:

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Regarding the black wheel, was that joke or is it actually a rare item?

I put new plugs and fresh fuel in the truck and it fired up right away.. but there is a lot of white smoke coming out of the tail pipe. I ran a compression test on the motor cold (and dry). Numbers as follows.

2-111
4-103
6-109
1-105
3-115
5-119

Oil is not contaminated. Rear most plug on either side was wet after sitting for 20 hrs (seemed like coolant). I'm going to try replacing the lower intake gasket and see if that fixes things. If not, Ill have to decide on what to swap in asap.

The black spoke steering wheel is a very rare option that was recently discovered here on the forums on a brochure. We have only seen it once, on an early xj someone pulled the wheel off of. 

And the 3.4 v6 out of a camaro will swap direct into the truck if you need to swap engines easy and quick with very light mods

19 hours ago, The86manche said:

The black spoke steering wheel is a very rare option that was recently discovered here on the forums on a brochure. We have only seen it once, on an early xj someone pulled the wheel off of. 

And the 3.4 v6 out of a camaro will swap direct into the truck if you need to swap engines easy and quick with very light mods

Very interesting.. maybe I'll be able to trade it for a non black wheel that is in better condition than mine haha.

Lower intake gasket has been replaced. I stopped after reinstalling the valve covers. I'll finish up the job tomorrow and fingers crossed that was the problem!

19 minutes ago, chance_p said:

Very interesting.. maybe I'll be able to trade it for a non black wheel that is in better condition than mine haha.

Lower intake gasket has been replaced. I stopped after reinstalling the valve covers. I'll finish up the job tomorrow and fingers crossed that was the problem!

I can imagine there are a few people who'd like to have that wheel just for collections sake haha

Did you notice any leaks of any kind that could have caused the white smoke while the intake was off?

No, unfortunately nothing was glaringly obvious. I could tell that the motor had had the gaskets replaced before, and that they were positioned perfectly, but nothing beyond that. I was really hoping to see something between a coolant passage and an intake port.

1 hour ago, chance_p said:

I have a full perforated leather wrap one doing nothing

42 minutes ago, The86manche said:

I can imagine there are a few people who'd like to have that wheel just for collections sake haha

Would look fantastic in my 84 actually haha. 

Jeep parts, especially really rare ones are like Guns, never sell any to anyone for any reason. Instead of being the guy with the ultra rare black steering wheel, you will be the guy who regrets selling his ultra rare black steering wheel. 
Any parts and guns I’ve let go over the years I regret selling deeply. Just don’t do it anymore. I sit happily amongst my hoard of guns and Jeep parts. 

Good find! Great price! Keep the updates coming! 

That is some great advice. I also regret letting go of some firearms in the past and won't do it again. 

Can someone share a link to the discussion about the black wheel? I can't find it in search.

On 3/5/2023 at 6:16 PM, WranglerMangler said:

Jeep parts, especially really rare ones are like Guns, never sell any to anyone for any reason. Instead of being the guy with the ultra rare black steering wheel, you will be the guy who regrets selling his ultra rare black steering wheel. 
Any parts and guns I’ve let go over the years I regret selling deeply. Just don’t do it anymore. I sit happily amongst my hoard of guns and Jeep parts. 

Good find! Great price! Keep the updates coming! 

“I sit happily amongst my hoard of guns and Jeep parts.”

I’m still laughing! Great quote! The wife just realized the attic in the shop was full of Jeep parts this last weekend. Took it upon herself to grab the ladder and look up there for something she was missing and found my stash!

Thanks for the link @eaglescout526

Intake gasket job is done. Had to redo the job because the rtv I used on the intake did not set up so I had to apply the stuff that came with the gaskets. Now it cranks but won't start (it did start for a few seconds the first time I cranked it, then sputtered and died). I may have screwed up the timing when I removed the distributor. Borrowing a timing light from a friend so I can verify all is well there. Carb is supplying fuel. Battery is on the charger. It is a little old, and cranking the motor for the compression test may have finished it off.

The 2.8 that came in the truck is no good. I think I have settled on a 4.0/aw4 swap/231/30 swap. I found a 93 XJ that was in an accident but still runs and drives. Am I correct that all I should need to fabricate is a cross member, and then source a rear driveshaft? 

Potentially the firewall will need massaging and the radiator core support will need changing too. Along with wiring harness modification. A little more work than it actually seems.

A 3.4 from a camaro will drop right in if you are looking for an easy swap

1 hour ago, The86manche said:

Potentially the firewall will need massaging and the radiator core support will need changing too. Along with wiring harness modification. A little more work than it actually seems.

A 3.4 from a camaro will drop right in if you are looking for an easy swap

Firewall is good to know thank you. Happen to have a link to the modifications that are potentially required? Search yields a lot of talk but no photos.

I'm planning on removing all of the Comanche wiring and then installing the XJ harness, gauge cluster, radiator, etc etc.

I bought the truck knowing that the clutch has issues, and I'd prefer an automatic anyways so the 4.0 swap seems like the way to go for me personally.

Firewall is good to know thank you. Happen to have a link to the modifications that are potentially required? Search yields a lot of talk but no photos.

I'm planning on removing all of the Comanche wiring and then installing the XJ harness, gauge cluster, radiator, etc etc.

I bought the truck knowing that the clutch has issues, and I'd prefer an automatic anyways so the 4.0 swap seems like the way to go for me personally.

There isn't a lot of photos it seems. The 2.5/2.8 core support sits back towards the firewall with the help of some air dams/brackets to support the radiator.

I think, but I could be wrong, that it requires welding. Someone else can chime in. I have an 86 2.8 myself but I'm not doing any conversion.

The wiring harness will require splicing for the fuel pump, tail lights, pretty much everything in the back. It's not the same as the comanche. The engine harness will drop right in. Same for the cab harness but modifying will be necessary.

A driveshaft change will also be necessary and, some people seem to have issues with the trans crossmemeber lining up so that may need modifying as well.

Optionally you could do a 904 or a 200r4 auto trans to a 3.4 v6. Not deterring you from what you want to do just throwing potentially easy ideas out there for swaps 

On 3/5/2023 at 7:55 PM, chance_p said:

keep it and throw a leather wrap kit on the wheel. :L: 

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting stripe pattern. I had not seen that on a Comanche X before but maybe wasn't paying attention, lol. It looks like it might be the inspiration for the later Pioneer hockey stick stripes. 2 workers at the factory, "Hey you put the stripes on the wrong side of the truck and now going the wrong way but I like it!" 

Buck.

• 5 months later...

I bought an 89 xj 4.0/aw4/231. 160k miles, no rust, 2 owners $700. I spent the day today removing the 2.8 from the MJ as well as all of the interior and wiring. I'm swapping over as much as possible from the XJ, and I'll splice the wiring for the fuel and tail lights into the factory MJ harness.

Sending unit, carter pump, and new motor mounts are in route.

Tomorrow I'm pulling the drivetrain from the XJ.