1986 Comanche X

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, acfortier said:

I saw your post over on [H], was going to mention to come here--but you've already found it! Nice score on the donor XJ

Hey thanks! What a coincidence, two very niche forums.

I really hate to scrap this XJ shell, the only rust is a little behind the rear tires. Look at these floor boards. The pinch welds are even 100% clean.

PXL_20230929_231814785.jpg

PXL_20230929_231833204.jpg

I finished removing the dash from the XJ. Also got the engine bay harness swapped over. Next up is pulling the big black HVAC box from both and swapping them over. I'll modify the firewall while those are out. Then swap the steering boxes, figure out what to do with the fuel lines, and then I can stick the motor in it! I'm hoping to be to that point by the weekend.

PXL_20231002_232336235.jpg

3 minutes ago, Drahcir495 said:

Great looking truck :L: definitely worth the wait. On the later 86s they changed the firewall for the new 4.0 liter going forward. You may not have to massage the firewall. 

Unfortunately I am going to have to modify my firewall as it's the old style. My original plan was to cut out the firewall from the Cherokee and graft it into the Comanche but the Cherokee is so clean that I do not want to hack up the firewall.

I was able to rebend the fuel lines from the XJ to work with the comanche. It would have been easier to retain the Comanche fuel lines, but that would have required me to splice the lines at the motor. This way I can retain the factory connections at the motor and do my splicing at the fuel tank where it's less likely to burn if it leaks. Here's a picture of the new sending unit and the old sending unit. I'm waiting on my fuel pump to get delivered today because I don't trust the airtex pump that came with the sending unit. I paid $35 for the sending unit on Amazon.

PXL_20231003_211216136.jpg

8 minutes ago, Drahcir495 said:

I don't know your level of fabrication skills, but I believe just a small amount of persuasion will give you the clearance you need. I wish I had taken pictures of what I did to make it fit. 

Any way you could snag a photo of the clearance you have now between the motor/firewall? The only photos I can find here are ones where people went way over board with the hammer.

I don't know why I feel like I should save the XJ, I doubt it will be of use to anyone in the future..

Fuel system was buttoned up today. I also swapped my steering box, motor mounts, charcoal canister, and vac lines.

Tomorrow I'm heading to an all jeep junkyard to (hopefully) pick up some items. Some necessary, some upgrades I would like to make. Cluster with a tach for example. I'll report back with what I'm able to get.

The trip to the junkyard was a success. They had two Comanches (both 86) with the dark tan/brown interior that I have so I was able to get everything I was after for $80. They also had a ton of driveshafts, and from my research one of them should work for me once I finish the swap. I'll go back once I have a measurement.

-lap belt and female end

-female end for passenger belt

-trim/cap that goes on the upper anchor point for the belts

-speaker grill for door panel 

-cluster with tach

-all 4 A/c lines

-electric indicator switch for tcase

-mud flaps

-gear selector indicator panel

-ho thermostat housing/sensor

-new in box motor mounts

I was really excited about these mud flaps. I don't know why, but I dig them.

PXL_20231005_202143972.jpg

34 minutes ago, chance_p said:

The trip to the junkyard was a success. They had two Comanches (both 86) with the dark tan/brown interior that I have so I was able to get everything I was after for $80. They also had a ton of driveshafts, and from my research one of them should work for me once I finish the swap. I'll go back once I have a measurement.

-lap belt and female end

-cluster with tach

-all 4 A/c lines

-mud flaps

It's the AMC logo for me 😄 

1 hour ago, chance_p said:

-lap belt and female end

-cluster with tach

-all 4 A/c lines

-mud flaps

-new in box motor mounts

Big time Score! The mudflaps are hella rare

Does anyone have a detailed diagram of the steering column? I'm trying to switch over the colored trim and I have the large piece closer to the steering wheel off but I can't figure out how to get the more cylindrical pieces off. Also, a couple of small parts fell out while I was disassembling and it's not obvious to me where they go. Thanks.

1 hour ago, eaglescout526 said:

Key in ignition chime switch. 

Thank you! I reassembled things without it, but now my wheel wobbles around, so I'll get it back in there when I tear into it to fix that problem. Not sure what I did wrong, it was solid before I disassembled it.

2 hours ago, Salvagedcircuit said:

Send It!!!! :banana:

It's been sent!

The balancer and oil pan rubbed on the hoist. I'm hoping I avoided any damage. There is a huge gap at the front but it looks consistent with photos I see online.

PXL_20231010_002254462.jpg

PXL_20231009_232242016.jpg

PXL_20231009_232235979.jpg

13 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Looks like the balancer should be replaced while you have the whole front apart. 

That's not a bad idea. Looks like a Dorman is in stock locally. I'll be sure to swap it out when I do the water pump.