In-bed Storage

Pelican makes some darn good boxes.  :L:  pretty sure Lowes would carry some big metal truck boxes that sit below the bedrails.  I know they have some "heavy duty" plastic tubs if you want something more affordable. 

You can get side boxes that fit over the wheel wells of other trucks, along the side of the box. Some below the bed rails, some over the top. Don’t know if you can get them to fit only behind the wheel well or in a size small enough for an MJ or not, but you can build one out of heavy plywood. Might not even need a lid if the tonneau cover seals well enough. 

We always use the heavy duty attached lid totes - like from Grainger.

Stackable in the garage, easy to swap out from truck to truck - each loaded for specific use:

Chains, collapsible shovel, salt for winter driving

Tarps, tiedowns, bungies

Hitches, pigtails for towing

tools, jumper pack, jump cables.

biggest challenge is keeping them from sliding around - running a single cable down one side of the bed attached to the tie downs we have short leashes the use caribiners to clip to the cable.

image.png.1892e1e8aa9391a00b8a55db60332ac7.png

On 2/7/2023 at 10:31 AM, 88towmanche said:

Stackable in the garage, easy to swap out from truck to truck - each loaded for specific use:

Chains, collapsible shovel, salt for winter driving

Tarps, tiedowns, bungies

Hitches, pigtails for towing

tools, jumper pack, jump cables.

That's a smart idea.

I like the idea of being able to swap things out (or remove them all together).

1 minute ago, Pete M said:

longbed S-10 or ranger is close enough to give us a topper, I imagine one of them is close enough to give you a cover.  :dunno:

I checked many of them online(measurement specs) none will fit the trapazoid shape of a long bed Comanche, closest to fitting any was the shortbed ranger to shortbed Comanche, and the most recent can't confirm Colorado/Canyon.

There are a few 7' shortbed Rangers, but ours is 7'-6" long

By coincidence (or possibly not, who’s to say anymore) I stumbled across an ad for the style toolbox I was thinking of above.

image.jpeg.53817050e5974c2ed46853693c315648.jpeg

https://m.vevor.ca/truck-tool-boxes-c_11948/vevor-truck-bed-storage-box-lockable-2019-21-chevrolet-silverado-1500-passenger-p_010569710705?gclid=CjwKCAiAlp2fBhBPEiwA2Q10D9ZA9tdULwPSu6Ov4t_47Teds51s4rw2nFwo83tGg4Jc9o0nK9HZ0xoC014QAvD_BwE

Fits behind the wheel well and under a tonneau cover. The swing out is cool because you wouldn’t need to lift the whole cover to get at it, just drop the tailgate. I didn’t even realize that was a thing.

I can’t really comment on brands or quality or availability in a size that would fit an MJ, but it’s a product that’s out there.

I think personally I’d rather have it forward of the wheel well if only doing a half-box, but I don’t run a tonneau cover.

You can get them that run the full length of the box as well. They don’t take away too much from useable bed space tucking away in the corner like that. If I was building my own down both sides of the truck, I would try to incorporate a little bit of shelf along the inner side roughly at wheel well height to support a 4’ wide sheet of something. Maybe even at an angle so a 4x8 sheet would sit flat and in line with the top edge of the tailgate.

• 1 year later...
On 2/11/2023 at 4:37 PM, gogmorgo said:

By coincidence (or possibly not, who’s to say anymore) I stumbled across an ad for the style toolbox I was thinking of above.

image.jpeg.53817050e5974c2ed46853693c315648.jpeg

https://m.vevor.ca/truck-tool-boxes-c_11948/vevor-truck-bed-storage-box-lockable-2019-21-chevrolet-silverado-1500-passenger-p_010569710705?gclid=CjwKCAiAlp2fBhBPEiwA2Q10D9ZA9tdULwPSu6Ov4t_47Teds51s4rw2nFwo83tGg4Jc9o0nK9HZ0xoC014QAvD_BwE

Fits behind the wheel well and under a tonneau cover. The swing out is cool because you wouldn’t need to lift the whole cover to get at it, just drop the tailgate. I didn’t even realize that was a thing.

I can’t really comment on brands or quality or availability in a size that would fit an MJ, but it’s a product that’s out there.

I think personally I’d rather have it forward of the wheel well if only doing a half-box, but I don’t run a tonneau cover.

You can get them that run the full length of the box as well. They don’t take away too much from useable bed space tucking away in the corner like that. If I was building my own down both sides of the truck, I would try to incorporate a little bit of shelf along the inner side roughly at wheel well height to support a 4’ wide sheet of something. Maybe even at an angle so a 4x8 sheet would sit flat and in line with the top edge of the tailgate.

Got any photos if this installed? It is exactly what I would like to use.

29 minutes ago, Comanche SS said:

Got any photos if this installed? It is exactly what I would like to use.

I don’t, sorry.

The Vevor specifically is not a product I’ve used or even handled, just happened to get an ad for it I guess, figured I’d share the link as an example of the sort of box I was talking about.
I only knew that half-bed style side box existed from flipping through accessory catalogues, and it’s just a coincidence I saw the ad within a timeframe where we were talking about it.

Can’t really recommend a brand or supplier either. I haven’t found a truck toolbox I particularly like, not that I’ve really been looking for one.