Fuel problem...I think

Hi everyone, ‘92 4.0L aw4
3 days ago I replaced my factory battery cables with a Big 7 from JeppCables.com. I also replaced my factory alternator with a 140(?)A alternator from a v8 ZJ. Upon initial install the truck wasn’t starting. It would crank no prob but wouldn’t run. I checked the relays, cleaned the fuel

pump ground behind taillight but no go. I discovered that the ground I installed to the block was loose so I tightened it and everything worked but it was idling low and surging a little bit. This smoothed out after I left it running for a bit. I drove it the next day and had no issues then the following day (yesterday) I stopped at the bottom of my driveway to get the mail and when I took off it stalled and I couldn’t get it to start again. I primed the fuel pump a couple times with no luck, then randomly it fired up with me pumping the gas. I got it home and it was running fine. Right now the truck is my only transportation so I drove it to work today (I can defend my logic if you care) then to the parts store to get a fuel pressure test gauge. Upon leaving the store truck stalled, I primed it a few more times, it fired up and I headed home. I got to the bottom of my street and it died so now I’m stuck here waiting on the car gods to let my truck work for 5 more minutes so I can get it home because I can’t find a pattern to this.  

Here’s what I know so far:

The fuel pump turns on when I turn the ignition 

Fuel rail gets pressure up to 40 something psi and keeps it for at least a minute 

All grounds are secure

Truck only dies when not giving it gas

I have a fuel pump & filter that I was going to install on Thursday but since it builds pressure fine I’m not sure that’s it anymore. It definitely FEELS like a fuel issue but could it be an ignition issue? Any help at all would be immensely appreciated. Thank you all

Jef

Also, CEL is on and gives codes 12 (battery disconnect) & 22 (coolant temp sensor). Since I know I have fuel pressure at rail, could it be a throttle position sensor or something similar that might cut off signal to injectors? I can hear the fuel pump when I turn key (rather loud) and when it dies it doesn’t buck or sputter, it just dies. 

I had already purchased a new ignition coil, rotor and cap before this happened so I decided to install them and see if that helps. I checked resistance on the Accel coil before install and everything was within spec. I also checked signal to the coil while it was out and got good signal. Once everything was in I grounded spark plug on block and cranked it. I AM getting spark so next thing is to go back and check the fuel again. I’ll update later. 

So I hooked fuel pressure gauge up again and cycled the fuel pump. This time it was not holding pressure. Pressure would climb to ~40 with ign on but then drop rapidly. I have a fuel pump on hand and am trying to install it but I don’t have a spacer to fit the new smaller pump to the assembly. Any tips on where to source one or a part number? Thanks everyone

So here’s when I’m at. I replaced the ignition coil, rotor, cap and spark plug wires as well as the fuel pump, strainer and fuel filter. I also replaced the coolant temp sensor because it was giving me a CEL. While working on the truck I left the throttle position sensor off and got another CEL which didn’t go away upon plugging it back in so I replaced that as well. Once that was all done, I hooked up the fuel pressure gauge, purged all the air out of the fuel system and it started right up. It idled great and felt strong when I would rev it a bit. I was elated. Today I decided to take it out in the road and try it out. I started heading out for a park uphill from my house in case anything happened and I’m glad I did. After maybe 1/2 mile of (pretty steep uphill) travel the truck started to miss and when I gave it more gas it died altogether. I put it in neutral and coasted back home, or at least pretty close. Now it won’t start again, no CEL’s. Sometimes it will start but immediately die and then won’t fire again. When it was idling well I pulled the CPS plug, it died, gave me a CEL, I plugged it back in, pulled battery cable for 15ish min to reset all codes and it fired up no problem so I don’t think it’s the CPS. Any other tips? 

IMPROVING THE FUEL PUMP GROUND

The fuel pump and fuel tank sending unit ground at a sheet metal screw up behind the spare tire on an XJ, XJ-Body-Ground.jpg?resize=300%2C162and behind the driver’s taillamp on an MJ.

Not only is a sheet metal screw a lousy way to ground things, this ground path is long and travels through some connectors that are prone to corrosion and moisture.

Locate the black wire on  the HARNESS side of the fuel pump/sender 3 wire connector. Remove a 6″ length of the split loom covering. Strip back about 1/2″ of insulation from the BLACK wire.1-fuel pump ground MJ

Take your new ground wire, preferably at least 14 gauge and 12 to 18 inches long as needed, strip it about 3/4″, and wrap it around the exposed part of the harness plug wire.1-fuel pump ground mj-002Solder the connection. Tape it up and reinstall the split loom covering.1-fuel pump ground mj-003

At the other end of your new ground wire, add a crimp on eyelet. Attach the eyelet under a bolt that goes directly into the chassis. Be sure to clean the attaching point til shiny and apply OxGard to the contact surfaces.1-fuel pump ground mj-004

Definitely have spark still. Fuel pressure peaks at 42 with pump on, 38 with pump off but doesn’t drop. Fuel pressure with engine on is steady at 30-32 with no bouncing and fuel pressure goes up as engine stumbles and dies. The fuel pressure going up as it dies sounds to me like an injector or valve issue, am I way off base with that guess? 

1 hour ago, JefCooks said:

The fuel pressure going up as it dies sounds to me like an injector or valve issue, am I way off base with that guess? 

Since the Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR) is connected to the intake manifold, as the engine stumbles and dies (loss of manifold vacuum), fuel rail pressure as read on the pressure gauge will climb. Normal.

Update:

I was able to get a little help from a neighbor today and really check over the things I've been trying to do solo. While cranking the engine I sprayed some starting fluid in the intake and nothing happened. Good news, it's probably ignition related. Next, I hooked up a spark plug to wire connecting ignition coil and distributor cap, grounded it on block and had neighbor crank. Sparked like crazy, nice and blue. Put wire back on distributor cap, put cylinder 4 spark plug wire on spark plug, grounded on block and had neighbor crank. Nothing.

When I checked ignition before I was grounding spark plug on block and recording it w/ my phone while I cranked because I don't have anyone around to help me. I would see some spark but it must have been very weak and that would explain why the truck will randomly run and then die, it's getting spark every so often but not consistently. I replaced the distributor cap and rotor a few days ago hoping that would fix the issue but it didn't. I even put the old distributor & rotor back on to see if the new one was bad, still no change. Now I'm assuming the new cap and rotor are both good but that leads me to think it's the camshaft position sensor not sending the power from coil to distributor. Is that what CamPS does? Still no CEL and no codes.