Ebay - NOS MOAB 16x8 5x4.5

Since there's some wheel guys on here.... and since I started the post... :wink: a couple questions:

The Ebay listing has a part # 5HP23TRMAB, and is described as polished and clear-coated. Jewelry, indeed.

I picked up a beater set cheap a couple weeks ago, and the part # is the same 5HP23TRMAB. These appears painted, with some aluminum "sparkly" (almost metallic looking) , and then clear coated, 'cause some of the clear coat is yellowing. My local wheel repair place said they can "de-curb" and re-paint for about $100 each. 

I have seen another set for sale lately, and asked the seller to provide me with a pic of the part #; same # - 5HP23TRMAB; except he said they are painted, without clearcoat.  I have not yet seen these. 

So; I had assumed that the part # cast into the wheel was representative of the factory finish?  Obviously not?  Maybe? 

Can anybody shed some light on this?

1st pic - ebay - polished, clearcoat.

2nd pic - painted, no clearcoat.

3rd pic - painted metalflake-ish then clearcoat.

Ebay.jpg

Painted, no clear coat.jpg

My beaters.jpg

I’ll shed some light but probably chances are Chrysler probably left the part number as a cast number after the original number stopped being what it used to be in the first run. Chances are the other two are different part numbers. Why spend more money to change a part number in a wheel when you can just run it and change the part number outside of the wheel?

Thanks for the info guys.

Guess that would make sense about the casting number being the same for all (future) finishes.

So unless you happen to have the box the wheel was shipped in, there is no way to determine the factory finish - except by inspection.

Anybody know how many factory finishes there were/are? on the 2003 era Moabs?

I think I am up to three:

Polished, clearcoat

Painted, no clearcoat

Painted metalflake-ish, clearcoat.