CJ roll bar in a MJ?

df0efc8d6638dc55b9864f1bb5cfbfeb.jpg.d396cc06cbafbd0582ce8c161224282e.jpg

8 hours ago, Pete M said:

I guess it all depends on what you main goal is for it.  protection?  hold up some lights?  look cool and impress the ladies?

oh I'm all about looking cool and impressing the ladies. yeah just basically for looks. i really like the tubular roof rack JCR makes for Manches, but I'm a cheap bastard too so theres that, lol

28 minutes ago, jpnjake said:

This is what a CJ and YJ rollbar look like together if you cut the legs off, and connect them, the width is pretty good. Not too sure about one tho This is what my dad ran back in the 90’s

0644E35F-B6CF-45C1-B584-74187098DFAB.jpeg

62E553B4-B66A-40F6-81B9-0CF683DE9D2C.jpeg

459831EE-9AC6-4708-83B2-D04AF91342BB.jpeg

6FDC059E-6A96-47C2-BA03-58230AB2D182.jpeg

that is super cool, width looks perfect and thats what i was wondering about. you could even shorten them for a roof top tent. i love under paying for stuff and re-purposeing at the same time👍👍 thanks for posting the cool pics

6 minutes ago, motownXJdad said:

that is super cool, width looks perfect and thats what i was wondering about. you could even shorten them for a roof top tent. i love under paying for stuff and re-purposeing at the same time👍👍 thanks for posting the cool pics

Originally it was in case of a rollover as  single cab pickups aren’t the strongest in a rollover, he figured at least it would help keep from dying and no problem, the old man really wanted me to post these pictures for him lol 

Just now, jpnjake said:

Originally it was in case of a rollover as  single cab pickups aren’t the strongest in a rollover, he figured at least it would help keep from dying 

yeah i think the older CJ-YJ roll bars are actually functional, the newer wranglers are not, and say so in the owners manual. theyre just a attachment point for the seat belts👍

13 hours ago, jpnjake said:

This is what a CJ and YJ rollbar look like together if you cut the legs off, and connect them, the width is pretty good. Not too sure about one tho This is what my dad ran back in the 90’s

0644E35F-B6CF-45C1-B584-74187098DFAB.jpeg

62E553B4-B66A-40F6-81B9-0CF683DE9D2C.jpeg

459831EE-9AC6-4708-83B2-D04AF91342BB.jpeg

6FDC059E-6A96-47C2-BA03-58230AB2D182.jpeg

No $#!&! Jpnjim is your dad? Rad! Makes me feel old, but that’s rad!

32 minutes ago, neohic said:

No $#!&! Jpnjim is your dad? Rad! Makes me feel old, but that’s rad!

Lol yeah we still got his MJ sitting on 37’s, at some point me and him are gonna get it back road legal, and he can 4 wheel his while I 4 wheel my xj but neither of our off road rigs are ready for the road 

6 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

How do you know Jim? I got to

meet both of them in Kenosha

I recall Jim from when he was a heavy hitter on Comanche Club a long while back is all. Never met. Build thread for reference:

22 hours ago, motownXJdad said:

yeah i think the older CJ-YJ roll bars are actually functional, the newer wranglers are not, and say so in the owners manual. theyre just a attachment point for the seat belts👍

Actually, they aren't. Ironically, it was the CJ "roll" bar that spelled the end of the Jeep CJ. Too many adrenaline-fueled young people went out and tried jumping their CJs -- just like they saw in the Jeep commercials on the teevee. The assumed (incorrectly) that the "roll" bar would protect them in the event of a roll-over.

It didn't.

Of course, they were rolling at speed. It's certainly better than nothing, and in the case of a low-speed roll-over would probably keep your head from being united with your tailbone. But it's not really very effective as anything more than a show bar -- which is what it is and what it should be regarded as. That's the reason the newer Jeep literature specifies that the bars are NOT meant to provide roll-over protection. The newer bars aren't any weaker than the CJ bars, but the lawyers learned from bitter experience.

• 4 months later...

Hey Neohic :wavey:thanks for remembering me :beerchug:

Yeah Jake is better at crawling around on the cold unheated garage floor this time of the year, so he does a lot of the wrenching,

while I point and complain he's doing it wrong :laugh:

That old Red MJ was put together when decent Comanches could be found for $500, and parts Cherokees were everywhere,

so not everything was done to be a work of art :laugh:

The YJ/CJ bed bar was stick welded together outside in a rainstorm the night before a trail ride,

I always worried about the little MJ cab not holding up to a rollover, and figured it was time for a little insurance.

I still read Comanche Club from time to time, but hadn't looked up the old password till now.

Glad to see some of the old guys are still around with lots of great new members keeping the place going strong.:comancheB:

On 8/30/2022 at 9:50 PM, motownXJdad said:

No, they are not. The reason the newer owners' manual says they aren't is because Jeep lost a huge lawsuit when some kids were killed when an older Jeep rolled over and the "roll bar" didn't protect them. Jeep argued that it was a "show bar," not a "roll bar," and that they never promised that it had any protective capability.

The jury didn't buy that. So Jeep, instead of beefing up the bars to make them effective, just starting printing literature saying the roll bars are not intended to provide roll-over protection.