Pulling cyl head

Broke the rear stud for the exhaust manifold inside the head. Being in the back it's damn near impossible to get a straight shot at it. So to ease pain and less cussing I'm pulling the head. While the head is off is there any thing that I should look at or replace? 135K on mileage and dry compression is 142 on the low side and 151 on the high side. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok got the stud out in one piece this last weekend. Now I have another question. Can you test a CPS with the head off? Should have checked it before I pulled everything apart. I ended up rolling/pulling it into the shop because of a no start. Never going to have an easier time to change than right now with nothing in the way. 

• 1 month later...

Update

Last week I got the engine all put back together and changed out the CPS. Got it started, idled up to 2k and back down to normal after a second or two. After about 10 seconds it sounded wrong like a light knock and bad exhaust leak. I looked at the engine thru the oil cap, no oil. I made a primer tool and spun the pump for a bit and got oil flowing. Day late and a dollar short, now the engine is toast. 

Today I pulled the pan to see how bad it is. No shavings in the pan and no shiny bits on the engine. I pulled all of the rod caps and so far no.5 main cap. Rod bearings don't look real bad. Very smooth, a little copper color showing, and the markings on the bearings are easy to read. 

My issue is the main cap and bearing half that I pulled. Under the bearing the cap looks bad but is smooth just discolored. Journal side of the bearing is showing discoloration at the edges. Crank journal looks and feels like it just came back from the machine shop. I  also checked 2 cylinders for wear also smooth but can't any cross hatching from below.

Sorry for the long winded post. So after all that how bad does it sound? Adding pics of the main cap and bearing half.

20220627_114831.jpg

20220627_114910.jpg

20220627_114948.jpg

20220627_115031.jpg

20220627_115111.jpg

2 hours ago, Eagle said:

You have it apart -- throw in a set of bearings.

My thoughts exactly. I don't think I would have torn it apart but now that you have, replace the bearings. Use plenty of assembly lube. Why wasn’t your oil pump working? 

The way it sounded I thought I spun every bearing. It hasn't been driven in a while so I'm guessing the oil pump lost it's prime. Should have been thinking after this long, "your basically working with a new engine so plan accordingly". Nope brain left the building that day.

Yeah, looks like just new bearings. Don't know how much you are replacing, like the camshaft etc. I might get some Rotella T1 30 weight oil. I might put in some GM EOS or Motor Honey. If you put in a new camshaft, then you'd need to coat the lobes. Also, then ignore next. I like to spin the engine before it fires up, to get oil pressure. I do that for an oil change. I pull the distributor wire.