'92 Cassette Player Eject problems

For Christmas, my wife got me the album 2112 by Rush on cassette, so I could play it in the truck. It plays fine, however it only ejects immediately about 10% of the time. The rest of the time, when eject is pressed, it seems like it gets stuck auto-reversing(?) For an indefinite amount of time before ejecting the cassette. It seems like this happens less when the truck is warm, but that could be councidental. 

Nothing I've found online is very helpful, and I'm about 20 years too young to have any idea where to start when taking apart a cassette player. :laugh: Any ideas?

6 hours ago, 87MJTIM said:

Do you know how difficult it is to find 8 tracks in record stores these days? Heck, it hard to find brick-n-mortar record stores these days?

:laugh:

We have places like Disc Replay that sell them in Indianapolis. They seem to be a chain store local anyhow. They might ship.

They also on occasion of new and n.o.s. original. It all depends on your luck.

There's a thrift store near me that usually has a small collection, so I stop by and check from time to time.

Update: Cleaning the head per the truck user's manual seemed to make a bit of a difference. Now it ejects about 40% of the time immediately! Maybe it just needs some time to clean itself out since it probably hasn't been used in years haha :laugh:

I took mine apart after I found one in the JY and it sounded muffled. Any XJ/MJ/YJ up to 96 should have the same radio. It's not hard to take the part that holds the cassette off, just a few small screws. It probably just needs a good cleaning with alcohol, I would check all the small wire connections with the button problems.

I've been buying old metal and punk cassettes when I find them for cheap on Ebay, some new albums are starting to be sold on cassette too, I just got Ministry's new album on cassette. A $20 Bluetooth cassette adapter also makes your old looking radio function like a more modern one.

The auto-reverse on this model is finicky at best, a total disaster at worst. This isn't uncommon, and if you're having auto reverse flip-flop problems on any of the Mitsubishi-made 88-96 decks, that is pretty much the end of that tape module's useful life.