Mechanic advice

I have an 89 Comanche. It’s kind of my daily and haven’t had any issues with it but couple weeks back I turned it on and it wouldn’t turn over. So I figured the battery is dead so I got a jump and it turned back on but after a few seconds it turned back off. Tried to jump it again and it wouldn’t turn over. The battery is relatively new got it earlier in the year so I figured maybe it’s the alternator or gas problem. I checked the schrader valve and there’s good pressure so I’m not sure what it was. Few hours later I tried to turn it back on and it turned on like nothing even happened. I’ve driven it a handful of times since and the problem hasn’t happened again. Should I be concerned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crank position sensor is my first guess. next time it does it, pull plug wire from plug, remove plug reattach wire to plug. using INSULATED pliers hold plug as close to a body ground (any area of the body that is bare metal and the plug can reach)without touching it and have a helper try to start it, if no spark and not starting i would go straight to the crank sensor. don't just replace it, there's a test you can do and if bad, DO NOT i repeat, DO NOT replace it with auto parts generic 20 dollar brand. i think Napa has oem or the dealer. stay as far away from off brand sensors as possible. if I'm off the mark here you gurus please feel free to correct me,

I wouldn't guess crank position sensor as a culprit. It wouldn't kill a battery, or stop an engine from turning over. Loose battery connections is possible, although generally the alternator is enough to keep it running, even if the battery is unhooked. That said the voltage will be much less stable and it is possible for it to drop below necessary voltage for things like the fuel injectors and pump if the engine drops to low RPM. With a completely dead battery it's also possible for that to happen. I would check and clean up both battery connections, not just the negative. It's also worth looking at the connections on the starter. 

When you say it won't turn on, do you mean nothing happens when you turn the key to the on position or start position, or that it cranks the engine over but it doesn't start? Do you have an automatic or manual trans?

2 hours ago, cruiser54 said:

Is it No Crank as the starter doesn't even spin the engine over?

Or is it Crank No Start as the engine spins with the starter but the engine doesn't fire up?

This needs to be clarified. 

Yeah, this is often a terminology issue among posters on many automotive forums.  For an engine to truly start, it's a two-step process:   the starter must rotate the engine, and then the fuel and ignition systems must provide gas and spark at the right moments. 

When a person writes "my vehicle won't start", he may mean one of two things:

1.  there is no cranking of the engine when the key is turned to the "start" position  (I call this the "no-crank" condition.)

2.  the engine "cranks" as the starter turns it, but the engine does not actual "catch" and begin to run   (I call this the "no-start" condition.)

I wouldn't guess crank position sensor as a culprit. It wouldn't kill a battery, or stop an engine from turning over. Loose battery connections is possible, although generally the alternator is enough to keep it running, even if the battery is unhooked. That said the voltage will be much less stable and it is possible for it to drop below necessary voltage for things like the fuel injectors and pump if the engine drops to low RPM. With a completely dead battery it's also possible for that to happen. I would check and clean up both battery connections, not just the negative. It's also worth looking at the connections on the starter. 
When you say it won't turn on, do you mean nothing happens when you turn the key to the on position or start position, or that it cranks the engine over but it doesn't start? Do you have an automatic or manual trans?

When I turn the key to the on position it would crank and not turn over. I have an automatic transmission

If it "cranks," then it is turning over.  If it "cranks" but doesn't "start" then that is a "crank, no start" condition.  Now, you can start with the fuel and spark issue. 

Search for Cruiser's Renix Tips to assist with diagnosing some common issues for Renix engines.  Test the CPS (been there, done that).  Get a fuel pressure tester to make sure there is adequate fuel pressure.  These can be "rented" from most auto parts stores. 

Next, perform many of the Renix Tips as prescribed by Cruiser.

Is it No Crank as the starter doesn't even spin the engine over?

Or is it Crank No Start as the engine spins with the starter but the engine doesn't fire up?

This needs to be clarified. 

Second, cranks no start as engine spins with the starter and engine doesn’t fire up

If it "cranks," then it is turning over.  If it "cranks" but doesn't "start" then that is a "crank, no start" condition.  Now, you can start with the fuel and spark issue. 

Search for Cruiser's Renix Tips to assist with diagnosing some common issues for Renix engines.  Test the CPS (been there, done that).  Get a fuel pressure tester to make sure there is adequate fuel pressure.  These can be "rented" from most auto parts stores. 

Next, perform many of the Renix Tips as prescribed by Cruiser.

Yes then it’s a crank no start condition. I will take a look at cruisers renix tips thanks!