Hood Vents - Opinions?

Luck may have been what got me through the 3000mile/3week trip, but determination was what made it happen. Well, determination along with a credit card and throwing all common sense into the wind. More than one person said I was nuts. :roll: But I hit the road anyways, just me, my dog and my MJ. I met up with ComancheClub members along the way and wheeled in Moab, Colorado and Illinois. My best bud even flew out to Denver and we went hiking in the mountains for the middle week. Lots of camping, only 3 stays in motels and I even spent 3 nights in the truck (none planned though).

If you want it, you gotta go get it. :D

• 3 months later...

Okay guys, I've junked the idea of the Pontiac hood vents, and managed to glom a set of regulation ZJ vents. They will be painted to match the hood gray - NOT chromed. :D I need some opinions again. The image on the bottom is the factory location. If I put them there, I can not use the drip pans - no room. Plus if water gets in, it will drip right on my K&N intake on the left side, and auxilliary fuse panel on the other side. The top location is where I can use the pans if needed, like in winter, and if water gets in, no harm done because of their location. Cosmetically I like the forward location; functionally I like the rear location. So what do you guys think?

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Thanks all for the replies so far. After measuring and fooling around some more, this is the location I can use as far aft and outboard as I can go w/o cutting into the hood frame. I don't think I can use the drip pans, but if water gets in it shouldn't hurt anything. I think they will look good in this location painted the same color as the hood. But I may have to junk my K&N intake and go back to the stocker. :cry:

Image Not Found

Thanks all for the replies so far. After measuring and fooling around some more, this is the location I can use as far aft and outboard as I can go w/o cutting into the hood frame. I don't think I can use the drip pans, but if water gets in it shouldn't hurt anything. I think they will look good in this location painted the same color as the hood. But I may have to junk my K&N intake and go back to the stocker. :cry:

Image Not Found

I actually like that position better than the original two options... should look nice!

SW2

Perfect location. You'll get a direct shot of the oil & gas aroma cooking on the engine & dumping in the cowl intake. Oh well, give the engine a bath once a week & it won't be over-whelming. ;)

That smells like perfume to me. :eek: Besides, my engine is clean. :D Got them in today in the location above and with a little trimming, the drip pans fit right in too. Can't paint as Fay is around dumping rain on us for the next two days or so. The only problem I had was the K&N intake pipe. I had to heat it up with the gun and flatten it slowly by squeezing it with the vice where the left drip pad hit it. Got about 1/2" clearance now. I'll post some pics when I'm done. :cheers:

Got it nearly done except for compounding out the louvers after the clearcoat hardens. Here's the top shot of the 1/2" mounting holes and large air holes..

Image Not Found

The underside - clears the frame nicely..

Image Not Found

Top view installed..

Underside w. drip pans..

Hard to get a perfect match w. 5 year old paint, but the vents will lighten up a bit over time.

That's the width of the mounting posts on the ZJ vents. They have a metal collar around the plastic inner post to keep it from cracking when over-torqueing. :D The 1/2" mounting posts fits into cups on the drip pans. But these holes are easy with a Unibit. First time I've used one. :cheers:

That's the width of the mounting posts on the ZJ vents. They have a metal collar around the plastic inner post to keep it from cracking when over-torqueing. :D The 1/2" mounting posts fits into cups on the drip pans. But these holes are easy with a Unibit. First time I've used one. :cheers:
:thumbsup: