Hood Vents - Opinions?

Like so?

Image Not Found

That wasn't what I had in mind but I really like the looks of it.

I meant to take the one on the left and put it on the right side and put the right on the left side. That would put the angle on the outside.

I like your choice to mount the vents out wider then most people do. It helps to keep water of of the sensors and the distributer. If I do rear mounted vents that would be where I would put them.

I'm going to use a spare hood and make a cowl hood scoop. I also want 2 small vents in the front part of the hood. The front part of the hood is a low pressure area so the small vents will be exhaust vents for the hot air coming threw the radiator. The cowl hood scoop will be used for cold air induction on the passenger side of it and to cool the right side since it produces the most heat from the exhaust header. I might also mount 2 rear vents out wide in the rear.

I'm also mounting a power steering cooler under the radiator because my bumper design allows air to flow threw it and should work well for keeping the steering cool.

Like so?

That wasn't what I had in mind but I really like the looks of it.

I meant to take the one on the left and put it on the right side and put the right on the left side. That would put the angle on the outside.

I like your choice to mount the vents out wider then most people do. It helps to keep water of of the sensors and the distributer. If I do rear mounted vents that would be where I would put them.

I'm going to use a spare hood and make a cowl hood scoop. I also want 2 small vents in the front part of the hood. The front part of the hood is a low pressure area so the small vents will be exhaust vents for the hot air coming threw the radiator. The cowl hood scoop will be used for cold air induction on the passenger side of it and to cool the right side since it produces the most heat from the exhaust header. I might also mount 2 rear vents out wide in the rear.

I'm also mounting a power steering cooler under the radiator because my bumper design allows air to flow threw it and should work well for keeping the steering cool.

Thanks, I can squeeze them in there like in the 2nd pic w/o cutting into the hood reinforcement. And if H2O gets in it won't hurt anything mounted out on the corners. I was going to make a cowl hood similar to the Reflexxion hood, and borrowed a 36" universal cowl from a local body shop to see if it would fit. The size was perfect, but the cowl was flat and wouldn't bend enough to conform to the slope of the hood w/o cutting a wedge out of the middle. Anything shorter wouldn't work either because of the center hood rib. And I'm not about to pay $400+ for a Reflexxion hood.....

Another topic of yours TNT, did you decide on which inline tranny filter you were going to use? You could use one of these too in your p/s cooler.

I'm thinking it may have some drawbacks.

I assume they are (or will be) functional? A friend of mine recently finished up a total makeover of his old high school coupe. The car is a 1950 Hudson Hornet coupe, to be exact. He thought it would be nice to have the hood louvered, so he sent it off and paid about $500 to have it done. It came out looking great. Except ... it's a show car, and he said any time it gets any rain on it, the rain comes through the louvers and then he has to detal the engine again ... and again ... and again. Plus he needs to waterproof the distributor.

Are you seeing where I'm going with this? The TPS on a Jeep injection system doesn't like to get wet ...

I assume they are (or will be) functional? A friend of mine recently finished up a total makeover of his old high school coupe. The car is a 1950 Hudson Hornet coupe, to be exact. He thought it would be nice to have the hood louvered, so he sent it off and paid about $500 to have it done. It came out looking great. Except ... it's a show car, and he said any time it gets any rain on it, the rain comes through the louvers and then he has to detal the engine again ... and again ... and again. Plus he needs to waterproof the distributor.

Are you seeing where I'm going with this? The TPS on a Jeep injection system doesn't like to get wet ...

Da^^n that sucks I just pressure washed my engine bay!! It ran ok after I did it though... did a lil skipping but its good now!

I like those vents. I've been toying with the idea of a shaker hood on my truck, I think that would be hell'a sweet!!

Hudson Hornet. Dayem, that inline six was probably the best one ever made, except for our AMC sixes jamminz.gif Yes, they will be functional. That's why I'm going to mount the vents out on the rear corners; might get water on the blower motor and the brake booster. These vents also have screens under them that will help deflect the water too. Hopefully it won't be a problem :D

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

maybe glue some lightweight foam, i.e. not very dense so it still has good airflow, to the bottom to absorb some of the water. the heat from the engine is likely to evaporate it out of the foam quick enough that it never gets so saturated that it dumps out on the engine, and even if it does, you're no worse off than if you didn't foam it anyway. point being, it could probably help more than it hurts.

fyi, i was thinking like TNT, swap sides so the angles are swept back. also, have you thought about painting them before you start cutting so you're eye gets a better look at them? i'm usually good at visualizing things but the red throws me off against your great paint job. JMO....

fyi, i was thinking like TNT, swap sides so the angles are swept back. also, have you thought about painting them before you start cutting so you're eye gets a better look at them? i'm usually good at visualizing things but the red throws me off against your great paint job. JMO....

Yeah, I've started to prep them and will be painting them before I do any cutting. I tried swapping sides, and it doesn't fly. It's not a right angle; the only feasible ways to make it decent is to have the cowl and hood ridge parallel with the vents. Many thanks guys for the suggestions. I'll post some more pics after painting.

see if you can find some hood vents from the 98 5.9 ltd zj, they have these plastic things that go under them to keep the water off of you engine.

Agree, those are sweet. Those same vents were also on some of the late model XJ export models. Basically impossible to find, but if you do please let me know.......... jamminz.gif

I really am not a fan of hood vents, but I kinda like the idea. If I was going to install some I would make a deflector under the hood to keep the water off of vital stuff.

I know it has been debated all over the net.. but if your cooling sytem is functuning right.. ther is no real need for them. I have personally wheeled in some 95+ heat days, and never had an issue with my junk overheating on the trail :brows:

• 5 months later...
hornbrod, Did you end up installing these hood vents?

No, did not John. They just didn't look that good to me to cut up the hood. I'm looking for the ZJ vents (too scarce) or a Reflexxion cowl hood (too expensive).

Meh. Vents are okay and all, but a powered vent is soooo much cooler! :D (pun intended)

Not a bad idea Pete. I might give this a try. I have a couple extra electric fans laying around.