89’ Pioneer MJ Barn Find

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven’t brought the MJ back to my garage yet and then I get this pic from my mom. Apparently my dad kicked her out of the garage lol. She said it’s time to take this thing home haha. At least someone is enjoying it!  Had him run it by a family friend that does extremely nice body work. He quoted right at $6k to re paint the truck, bed line the bed etc. a little more than I want to pay right now but I think I’ll pull the trigger next spring on that project. I have a few more mechanical things to knock out before I get to the paint. 

223D8278-7E68-42C2-874A-528C3587B008.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Well finally brought it back from the shop at my parents house to my place 2 hours away. Little jeep did good running 70+ down the interstate. After an 80 mile drive the needle didn’t really move off full. Curious to see what the gas mileage is. When I measured it before after the new tank and sending unit it was sitting for an hour a day idling while I cleaned the block of corrosion so it wasn’t that great haha. Had to take a pic of my better half who followed me back just in case something happened :laugh:  that pic was taken getting off the exit to my house. I’m glad she followed me because we did lose brake lights 20 miles into the trip. When I put in the new booster and master I looked at the brake switch connector and noticed the 12V wire was frayed and almost broken. Well I finished it off apparently. I had planned to fix it when I got it home anyway :crazy:  I’ll spend this weekend going through all the light sockets and cleaning or replacing them. $42 of light bulbs from rock auto should keep me busy. 

Oh, and one other little gem I found before the trip home was the driver front brake line. I haven’t finished the front lines just yet due to time. For my pre trip inspection I noticed Teflon tape used to seal the brake hose to hard line :brickwall:  I have no clue what the PO nephew did to this truck but that was quite comical. While I was inspecting it I did notice a coil spring leveling kit had been installed along with a new brake hose on the drivers side. I’m guessing the leveling kit installation had something to do with the Teflon tape / new brake hose :banana:

EE2EFFC3-8C88-4A72-9F34-242958E9DEA6.jpeg

4234B03F-D220-407B-8975-E1A3F4A418F5.jpeg

Spent the day going through all the lighting sockets and headlight switch. What a pita that is. Also slapped in some Amazon truck light knock offs. Can you tell with turn signal socket I replaced lol. Could only find one local so I slapped it in. Waiting for the mail to deliver the second one. All and all a good day but I’ll be ok with never touching that headlight switch again. 

7A6AA2C9-7666-4654-B32A-9AA3A5CD1E94.jpeg

C1FFD685-9FB8-4E9E-BCE5-01C96EB5552D.jpeg

1DC23B73-7761-48A2-8815-148781BFF8FD.jpeg

7BBA9FE4-7E56-43CE-BB58-2F0EA87F6289.jpeg

Finished refreshing light in the dash earlier this evening. Replaced the bad right flasher bulb and the HVAC controls light. While I was in there I threw in the quartz clock from @eaglescout526  thanks again it’s a really nice upgrade from my dim factory one. Got my speaker upgrades in tol but I’ll tackle those another day :comanche:

ACA50D10-0D4F-4BBF-BE69-E555FA18F68E.jpeg

F22D46AD-194A-49BC-AB6E-EE4BB4B4F78C.jpeg

15 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Damn that is a bright clock! I forgot how healthy that display is.

Haha. No kidding. I remembered them being noticeable but this thing could land planes. Fits the style of the jeep well though. 

10 hours ago, Ωhm said:

Flip your front grille, its upside down. You're not the first one and you won't be the last one.

I’m leaving it like that just to drive people crazy :popcorn:  Seriously though. It’s not at the top of my priority list because I have to cut the wires the PO ran to the fog lights to flip it lol. I’ll get to it when I pull the front bumper to freshen it up. I’ve got new door seals and windshield wipers switches to install before I get to that portion of the list :L:

I have Eagle Lights ... another version of the knock offs and they're a significant improvement over sealed beams. The only draw back is

they ice up.  Shouldn't be a problem in S. Carolina, but in NH it poses a challenge on snowy days.  :(

20 hours ago, NHMJXJ said:

I have Eagle Lights ... another version of the knock offs and they're a significant improvement over sealed beams. The only draw back is

they ice up.  Shouldn't be a problem in S. Carolina, but in NH it poses a challenge on snowy days.  :(

Yep. I run name brand lights in my CJ and JK on 40’s. specifically the heated truck lights on the JK for that reason. I try to do a lot of snow wheeling when I get the chance and I had to make the switch lol. Never even thought about that problem until I was deep in the Appalachian Mountains one night and I had to keep getting out to scrap the lights. 

19 hours ago, fiatslug87 said:

Is the low beam?

Which ones are they?

That is low beams. Trust me you will never go back. I caught these on a Black Friday sale for $65 I believe. Can’t speak for how long they will hold up yet but they are worth every penny so far.  These have a day time running light I just noticed which I’m fine with. 

1 Pair 105W Rectangular 5x7/ 6x7 Inch Led Headlight High Low Beam Headlamp Compatible with Jeep Wrangler YJ Cherokee XJ Kenworth T300 1997-2010 Replacement H6054 H5054 H6054LL 69822 6052 6053 (2 pcs) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074LT5B1M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_JZR45CW672MGH4SDJ1G6?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

4 hours ago, oleskool said:

Can’t speak for how long they will hold up yet

I'm on my second set.  Not because of failure, but rather, the plastic lenses become like wax paper and the beam intensity degrades. 

Spent the day finishing the rear speaker upgrade and while I was in there figured I would knock out new door seals. Not difficult at all but you do need to remove some panels to help with installation. All and all it wasn’t a bad day!  70 degrees in December is never a bad thing!

770D94D5-0D1D-4CD6-BBAF-B7E617FB630C.jpeg

F57B58AF-0A63-46C8-8762-93312E67DF1C.jpeg

0B3606E6-5248-4D11-9A22-2E4CDC5C927C.jpeg

C3FC5879-4AAA-42BB-B4BD-C659F8EB1963.jpeg

A6F3A958-A383-4A9D-901B-E397280A491F.jpeg

502BC4BB-F7B0-431A-9416-385F7BCE9E8F.jpeg

13CE93D2-BF04-4679-A10C-B5C18219D120.jpeg

CCB44D4D-46B6-427E-B9BE-A1D0791536B1.jpeg

9264201B-C8DD-4F74-B666-279FB218C944.jpeg

Well today didn’t go as planned. Cleaned the throttle body and put everything together. The good news, I fixed the low idle issue when coming to a stop and the high idle of 1100 RPM. Bad news I gained a running rich at idle issue where it will smoke from the exhaust lol. It’s always something. 

Well after some trouble shooting with help from meme era here I finally got the idle fixed. Decided to throw in a new TPS. I grabbed one for an auto because it’s cheaper lol and a new MAP. The POs nephew decided to crank the butterfly open for what I can only assume was a poor idle due to vac lines being rotted and the throttle body itself being gummed up. When I cleaned everything it set the throttle body butterfly gap to large and caused me to not be able to set the TPS or the idle. He even used loctite on the set screw. 3/32 Allen wrench and loctite is always a good time lol. Adjust the throttle body down the the correct idle and then used the voltmeter to set the TPS. Everything is good to go now. 

Well I tracked down the stalling and low idle issue.  Appears the EGR or part of the circuit isnt performing correctly causing the issue.  I have plugged the elbow that goes to the EGR solenoid for now but I guess its time to clean it and see if that helps!