Jeep MJ project, guidance needed

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Hey guys. I'm trying to put my crossmember back on and i'm a bit confused. As far i can see the bolts / holes circled here are the only ones ill need to repair to mount the crossmember, so what the h*ll are the rest of them for?? Before i spend any more HOURS repairing, drilling, tapping, welding, swearing ect can someone clarify if i'm wasting my time repairing any of the studs other than the ones i've circled? As you can see on the driver side picture i got ahead of myself and repaired a stud, and now I'm not so sure i need the stud there at all. Just need some clarification here and hopefully that will mean i only have one broken stud left to remove (right circled bolt on passenger side) Thank you.

IMG_1737_LI.jpg

IMG_1734_LI.jpg

• 1 month later...

So i've been trying to get my ax-15 input shaft into my renix 4.0 pilot bearing for a few weeks now. At first I had the wrong size bushing, so when I ordered this new one I made sure to test fit it on the input shaft before installing. Unfortunately, after a few long nights of wiggling the transmission, re-doing my clutch alignment, ect I got fed up and removed the pilot bushing from the motor to confirm that it was not going to fit. As you can see in the pictures, the bushing fits on one  way. (backwards from how it was put in the motor) and can not slide down the shaft further than pictured. I assume the size of the bearing slightly changed once it was pressed into the motor.

So, solutions. Can i sand out the middle of this bearing to make the input shaft fit? Should i take material from the input shaft instead? Can i re-use this bearing now that its already been squished into there and then removed, or should i order a new bushing? Should i order a different size bearing/bushing to avoid this problem?

Thanks in advance. This tranny install has been increasingly frustrating. In hindsight i see i probably could've sanded down the bushing inside of the motor, but a few hours into a frustrating night i had to see just WTF was going on.

IMG_1977.JPG

IMG_1976.JPG

IMG_1975.JPG

IMG_1973.JPG

IMG_1971.JPG

Ok. More progress more questions. I've got the transmission mounted up now.

My question now is, are one of these crossmembers going to work? They look the same to me. I read that the ax-15 had a 1 inch lower tranny crossmember than the other transmissions. When I went to identify the 2wd transmission i removed from the truck i looked up the ID code ( 53005386 ) and it brought me to a page on this forum identifying it as an ax-15. Is that possible? A 2wd ax-15? Did i just swap my Ax-15 for another ax-15??

If the removed tranny IS an ax-15, I assume the crossmember will work? will I need to find another rubber mount for the 4wd setup or should i be able to use this 2wd mount? It seems like it would have my transmission up rather high, and i don't want to have an unnecessarily straining angles due to me having sourced the wrong crossmember. thanks for any input.

IMG_1986.JPG

IMG_1985.JPG

IMG_1984.JPG

IMG_1982.JPG