Dana 30 ratios

Some XJ's with tow package had 3.73's also got a D44 rear axle, as did the Metric ton comanche. 

Yep ZJ/WJ won't work in a XJ/MJ low pinion vs high pinion. 

Might as well swap to a 4.11 or was it 4.10's from a four cylinder. 

Yeah, don’t go with 3.73. 3.55’s or 4.10 depending on drivetrain and tire size

I’m planning on running 31s, but it’s mostly gonna be an in town/daily driver. I thought about 4.10s but I figured they’re too low for what I needed.

1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer
4.0 Liter w/ AW4 2WD

2 minutes ago, Dammerung said:

I’m planning on running 31s, but it’s mostly gonna be an in town/daily driver. I thought about 4.10s but I figured they’re too low for what I needed.

4.0 Liter w/ AW4 2WD

4.10’s would be great with the aw4 and 31’s. I ran 3.55’s for several years on 31’s with a ba10/5 tranny and it was quite manageable. The d30 carrier break at 3.73 is what kept me from swapping gears earlier. 

Are you guys sure about that? Not trying to be dismissive, but I’m gonna be using mostly for driving around town and some highway for college. I just want to try and get a good combo of gas mileage and power, especially with how gas is almost 5 bucks around here right now.

4.0 Liter w/ AW4 2WD

53 minutes ago, Dammerung said:

driving around town

If you notice anything you'll likely have a little more pep and better mileage around town. 

If you are patient and wise-

Find a pair of axles out of a late model XJ 2.5, will have 4.10s

Or at the least a 4.10 D30 and then regear the rear if you want to keep it. 

A pair of axles will cost you about $300, that's less than half the cost of regearing a single axle. 

To make my point, an example-

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/289577182886008/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A1051d5ca-03f2-45fc-be31-5f1534cb4090

Then spend your other $300 for a shop to help you set up your new rear.....if you cannot do it yourself.