Photos of black MJs with chrome exterior trim?

Hey all,

Trying to find inspiration for my first comanche I just picked up. Waited too long to finally nab my dream vehicle. It's a faded black sportruck and I'm curious how it would look with a chrome grill, exterior bezels, handles, sideview mirrors etc. Probably will keep the black front bumper. Any threads dedicated to this or y'all got photos with similar looks? My '88 attached as reference (please excuse the clear corner lenses, that's the FIRST thing to go).

IMG_20210425_150459682.jpg

IMG_20210403_150103797.jpg

IMG_20210403_145830298.jpg

IMG_20210403_145823943.jpg

IMG_20210403_150230322.jpg

My 1986 MJ has been a long project. Satin black chrome international bumpers front & rear, chrome side mirrors likely to go away...has SBC 305 with 700r4 trans. Never seems to be done, building it as a rat rod...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This Is exactly my plan with my 89 Black MJ I will post something here once i get some of my chrome for it. also a little advice, if you want all the chrome you may be better off buying a Laredo XJ and taking the parts you need off it. as for the rear bumper and tailights you have to just get lucky

2 hours ago, jpnjake said:

This Is exactly my plan with my 89 Black MJ I will post something here once i get some of my chrome for it. also a little advice, if you want all the chrome you may be better off buying a Laredo XJ and taking the parts you need off it. as for the rear bumper and tailights you have to just get lucky

Thanks for the tip. Even the parts cherokees are getting hard to find too! Definitely post your rig when you've got even the slightest bit of chrome, would love to see it. The Google photos with chrome I see are of pristine Comanches and heavily modded, and I'm too dumb to visualize how it would look on mine. 

17 hours ago, fiatslug87 said:

Go to the registry list post, download the Excel file, filter for black in the exterior color column, click on links to see what pictures have been posted.

Good idea thanks! Time to register mine while I'm at it 

This is not my truck but I that is what I have in mind for one of my MJs but without the brush guard and fogs.

image.png.d2b0f30cbd8f1888051f2a920b306094.png

This is the way it looks now and it looks better in the pic than it actually is.  Does anyone know if that bed rail was offered on an 87?  I like the rail even if not original and will keep it.  It is square tubing, not round.

image.png.10ec9155e5cf182ae6dfbc786fcbe845.png

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, jpnjake said:

I got a chrome bumper the other day, i know you said the one thing you may not do is the bumper, but IMO it looks great 

8D33DADA-CE8D-4D47-969C-2C64267E7E75.jpeg

61870556-2101-4E54-877F-BA535E99BD54.jpeg

Oh boy, I like that a LOT with the chrome wheels and black grille actually. Thanks for the photos 

4 minutes ago, AP_MJ88 said:

Oh boy, I like that a LOT with the chrome wheels and black grille actually. Thanks for the photos 

Thanks man, I’ll continue to post when some more chrome comes my way, I may update with a 3/4 angle or a back angle to show the silver toolbox, and tailgate protector 

24 minutes ago, jpnjake said:

Thanks man, I’ll continue to post when some more chrome comes my way, I may update with a 3/4 angle or a back angle to show the silver toolbox, and tailgate protector 

Sweet sounds good. What else will you be chroming out?

20 hours ago, AP_MJ88 said:

Sweet sounds good. What else will you be chroming out?

The plan is mostly everything, door handles, mirrors, Grille, Grille bezels, and maybe even the elusive chrome bumper/ taillights/ tailgate handle

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/21/2021 at 2:22 PM, knever3 said:

Mine but it's a distant picture.5d10620b1deefc2b3205d7c07dc77237.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Okay this looks so good that I might rethink gratuitous chroming. What is the paint code on that paint job?

14 hours ago, AP_MJ88 said:

Okay this looks so good that I might rethink gratuitous chroming. What is the paint code on that paint job?

If you're rethinking the chrome here's mine which is basically black all over.   My old XJ was black with chrome bumpers and I liked it too.   My current XJ is white with chrome.

20-10-23 3b (2).JPG

• 1 year later...