can i convert my rear mj axle to coils? without welding anything or paying a arm and a leg?

Not to sound harsh, but, your alternative, to not welding/not spending a bunch, is a different vehicle.  One, or both, of what you don't want to do has to occur in order to change from leaf to coil springs.

research.  lots of it.  there are a few rear linked MJs in the Epic Tech subforum :L: 

also, extreme wheel travel is overrated.  :peep:  my leafs have done everything they've ever needed to do.  :D 

161431156.jpg

Doesn’t do any good for a wheel to drop if there isn’t any significant weight on it. Lockers are more important. If you want droop just grab some teraflex revolver shackles or similar. No big advantage though. 

3 hours ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Doesn’t do any good for a wheel to drop if there isn’t any significant weight on it. Lockers are more important. If you want droop just grab some teraflex revolver shackles or similar. No big advantage though. 

revolver shackles are a horrible idea

as stated, nobody makes a bolt in kit.  i used to run 2wd leaf packs and 1" lift shackles.  it matched the articulation of my front end.   

9 hours ago, Smokeyyank said:

You really need to be flexing hard on some crazy obstacles to need coils in the rear. What are you running up front?

Only thing "bolt on" to get some more flex out of the leafs would be.

https://www.boostwerksengineering.com/BWE-Comp-Shackles-_p_24.html

they guy i bought it from coudt tell me it looks like 2in terraflex spacer and a 2.5-3 in coil dana 30front dana 30 rear ax-15 i have the lunchbox lockrs for it its hard said its a daily driver to work and i do have to merg on the highway. 

1 minute ago, Davidsamplesmjjr said:

they guy i bought it from coudt tell me it looks like 2in terraflex spacer and a 2.5-3 in coil dana 30front dana 30 rear ax-15 i have the lunchbox lockrs for it its hard said its a daily driver to work and i do have to merg on the highway. 

30 front 35 rear

10 hours ago, Pete M said:

research.  lots of it.  there are a few rear linked MJs in the Epic Tech subforum :L: 

also, extreme wheel travel is overrated.  :peep:  my leafs have done everything they've ever needed to do.  :D 

161431156.jpg

well after seeing this i might keep my leafs

1 hour ago, Davidsamplesmjjr said:

If you only got spacers and coils up front you got a long way to go before doing a 4 link rear. 

11 hours ago, 89eliminator said:

revolver shackles are a horrible idea

as stated, nobody makes a bolt in kit.  i used to run 2wd leaf packs and 1" lift shackles.  it matched the articulation of my front end.   

I wasn’t recommending them. Just saying that if you are only after droop, they will give you that. That being said, the idea of revolvers being “horrible” is subjective. If you learn how to wheel and drive with them they can be just fine. 

Should be noted also that a good 4 link provides many more benefits than just improved flex. A good set of leafs can flex quite a bit as well. But the axle geometry and stability with a properly designed 4 link are better than any leaf design. On the flip side, if your using your truck as a truck and hauling items in it, leaf springs are a super solid system. 

For what it's worth, I'm planning a serious rock crawling build with 1 ton axles and 40" tires and I'm going to keep leaf springs out back.

Flex is important but you can have too much of a good thing.